YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Krizonar

An R9, cool!
Is it a 270 or 290?
Regardless, I think that makes your computer OSC's most capable in graphics, doesn't it?

NejinOniwa

It's a Sapphire 290 Tri-X. :^) So yeah, it kinda takes that spot rather handily.

Krizonar

An R9 290 Tri-X has been added to our ranks, excellent!

Chocofreak13

what's the new Shiny's name? :0

also, mother of god, dat space. dat RAM. but needs moar cooling.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

The cooling is quite sufficient, seeing as the only things running warm in that pic were the graphics (and I'd just finished a game) and the external HDD (which was 4 hours into its 9 hour marathon copy-session to get all my stuff into the new comp). And R200-series cards are rated for up to 90-something degrees C anyway, so that's no worry.

Its name is NeoN-EWAR. For this is the year of story.

Chocofreak13

ahh, alright. i was seeing nothing but orange and red and was like, sheeeeeeet. :0

congrats on NeoN. ^^
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Been wanting to upgrade myself recently in the graphics department as well and finally did it.

A heavy hitter of my own!
The Sapphire Mac custom 7950.

NejinOniwa

How much more expensive is that compared to a normal 7950? Those are a few years old now, iirc.

Krizonar

Yeah, I thought about putting an R9 or something in mine as well actually, it's newer and would work fine. An R9 280 IS  a 7950 though, just a rename.

I found this official one only about $50 more than a basic 7950 and was like, well, that works.

Chocofreak13

shiiiiiny. anything in particular you plan to do with it, or did you just want to make your mac even more bling bling?
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Mostly more bling bling, but it will of course be useful for video and photo editing as well as high end gaming.

Star Citizen for example has pretty high graphical requirements and I'm interested in playing it when it comes out next year, so I did purchase it with that in mind.

Bella

DEAR APPLE PEOPLE:

I was given a PowerBook 100 today. Plugged it in and powered it on, got a startup chime and heard the disk running. The screen lit up but stayed black.

Just now reset the PMU and powered it up again — the same thing happened. And this time it shut off on its own accord.

Anything else I should try before I relegate it to the realm of "Display Item Only"?