What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

it's gonna be tough getting software for quincy. the way i've heard it, mac programs change as often as the OS does. :\
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Mac programs haven't changed architecture in a good 7 years now, Tiger uses the same program architecture as Lion does, you'll be fine.

Nichi

Well, she's running Panther; which makes things trickier. But, Firefox 2.0.0.20 runs great on Sonata, and you can still obtain a version of Skype that's compatible with Panther, so Quincy shouldn't have a problem ^_^

Krizonar

Ah, so she's a PowerPC Mac from the old age.

There's still lots of universal software, which works fine on either, as stated earlier.

For example, this version of Skype ( http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/2-8/ ) works fine on Panther (works on 5 different Operating Systems in fact, lawlz) and it's actually the version I use on my computer too, since Skype 5 is so ugly they did a design content for the next version.

In further note though, Mac programs being incompatible with each other is highly exaggerated. A G4 Mac  from 2002 will take the latest version of iWork and will sync with an iPhone 4S. They tend to be pretty dang compatible.

Chocofreak13

but that's not the problem, guys. the problem is that Quincy's likely going to be downgraded to his original OS: OS9. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, Skype is out of the question, but there is a semi-decent web browser for it. Go look up Classilla (I think I spelled that right); it's not too bad

But, my suggested setup would be like on Sonata; use OS9 as your main, and have a fresh install of Panther setup as a secondary OS. I can provide discs for both ^_^

Chocofreak13

um....no. sounds nice, but Quincy has a whole 6gb to work with for his drive. a second OS is out of the question.
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Hm, Mac OS 9 is pretty dang old, there is quite a heap of software for it still though.

Nichi

@Kari: Again, so does Sonata, but as long as you drop a lot of unneeded software from Panther during installation, you can fit both on the same drive with plenty of room for software

Chocofreak13

hm, ok. it's gonna be a bit down the line anyway, so we'll see how it goes then.
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: Krizonar on December 15, 2011, 06:13:12 PMWhat would you use Rosetta for in this day and age?

I'd use it for games that never got universal binaries.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Krizonar

Nichi

So, anyone here know anything about working with Fedora?

I tried to install Skype on Fedora 16, but somehow it screwed up; trying to start it brings up an error of "No such file", trying to uninstall it is impossible (It's not listed in the package manager), and trying to reinstall it is also impossible (It claims Skype is already installed). Any help?

Bella

I've never worked with Fedora 16 or any other version, maybe ask Pitkin-sama? I'm pretty sure she and Fedora-Tan use that OS on a regular basis.

Nichi

Yeah, I could ask her sometime later, since she mentioned Fedora-tan uses the exact same version that I am (16 w\ XFCE)

Also, come to think of it, being able to set GRUB to boot to Windows 7 by default would be nice; since that's my main OS

EDIT: I have Skype working now ^_^