What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 10, 2011, 10:27:59 PMi find macs to be annoying in the respect that you can only replace mac parts with mac parts.

You can't even do that, really.  The new iMacs don't even have upgradeable hard drives.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Red-Machine on August 11, 2011, 03:19:21 AM
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 10, 2011, 10:27:59 PMi find macs to be annoying in the respect that you can only replace mac parts with mac parts.

You can't even do that, really.  The new iMacs don't even have upgradeable hard drives.

Bull, I can swap out the hard drives in any iMac within 15-20 minutes when I need to. All iMac's come with 1TB minimum space at the moment, other than the 21.5-inch 2.5GHz model which comes with a 500GB drive! You can have any iMac (other than the 21.5-inch 2.5GHz) upgraded to have a 2TB drive, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD + 256GB SSD so I think they have all the bases covered for upgrades! who needs more than 1TB when on a MACINTOSH!? You don't even need that much space unless you are doing so major video editing which takes up VAST amounts of space...

Red-Machine

The latest model iMacs use hard drives with a modified power connector.  You can connect a standard one but it will put the fans into overdrive.  Apple don't even offer a HDD upgrade option when buying the thing.

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 10, 2011, 10:49:53 PM
i laughed when you assumed i use firefox. xDD

heh, i think i have problems with the lack of programs because idk how to virtualize. ^^;

Oops, I forgot you were an Opera fan Kari. ^^;

Virtualization is easy.... all you need is a disk image (or install CDR) and VirtualBox (a free/open source virtualization program, and one of the best out there) handy and it just takes a few minutes to get your VM up and running. ^^

Quote from: Dr. Kraus on August 11, 2011, 10:50:33 AMBull, I can swap out the hard drives in any iMac within 15-20 minutes when I need to. All iMac's come with 1TB minimum space at the moment, other than the 21.5-inch 2.5GHz model which comes with a 500GB drive! You can have any iMac (other than the 21.5-inch 2.5GHz) upgraded to have a 2TB drive, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD + 256GB SSD so I think they have all the bases covered for upgrades! who needs more than 1TB when on a MACINTOSH!? You don't even need that much space unless you are doing so major video editing which takes up VAST amounts of space...

Gotta agree with him... I've owned this computer for nearly two years, and only gone through 420gb (of 640gb). Of that 420gb, I know 130gb is devoted to my movie/video/fansub collection, and about another 20gb is music (some of the MP3s I have in duplicate too, because of iTunes' habit of copying music files). God knows how much of my diskspace is going to my collection of VMs too....

Besides, I think Apple's lack of replaceable HDDs is an attempt to push peoples' data into THE CLOUD. Which I believe is where most computer companies are headed. Not enough room on your internal disk? Put it on your external drives. Store it online. I dislike the idea of CLOUD computing (especially online storage being an end-all to user backups), but I have no trouble envisioning a future where home computers might not even come with an internal HDD - just a SSD with enough room to support the OS - with all the users' files hosted on external drives and the internet.

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on August 11, 2011, 01:54:29 PM
For me, VirtualBox doesn't run very well, but is that because I need more RAM and a larger HDD, or am I using an outdated version? For example, Ubuntu works but is rather slow, I couldn't get Menuet-64 running under it, and while Menuet-32 works, it's not very stable under VirtualBox.

Your HDD size defensively won't affect how VirtualBox runs (I mean, unless it's COMPLETELY filled, then it's going to affect how your entire system runs). RAM has a little more to do with VirtualBox performance - how much does your computer have?

I used to be able to run Ubuntu in VirtualBox on my last computer, K8, who only had 512mb RAM. I used to assign about half of the system's RAM to Ubuntu and didn't run any other programs when I was virtualizing.

Three things:

-Download the newest version of VirtualBox if you think it's an age-related issue. FOSS programs are usually like fine wine after all - getting better with age. d:

-Increase the RAM (what VirtualBox refers to as base memory) that your Ubuntu VM is getting if you haven't done so already - try making it around 1/4 of your computer's RAM, though you might want to use more depending on how much you have. (I've assigned about 700mb to my Ubuntu VM, and I'm working with 4gb memory.) Also, you might want to close other applications, at least RAM-heavy ones, if you think that's the source of the problem.

-Also, try installing Guest Additions if you haven't already. I've found that guest systems work somewhat smoother with it. (It's rather tricky for most distros, but IIRC, it's fairly easy to install in Ubuntu.)

Chocofreak13

@bella: i figure that's what the 'new' model of computing would be, all touchpads and cloud hosting. :\ and here i was hoping to send steve jobs/ballimer a pic of a persocom with a note saying  "MAKE THIS."

also, i'll ask again in case my mac post was too loud, is anyone willing to help me with the lilith problem? it's ok if you can't, i just figured that 1. you guys would be more knowledgeable with an older program like lilith and 2. multiple heads are better than one. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 11, 2011, 10:57:52 PM
also, i'll ask again in case my mac post was too loud, is anyone willing to help me with the lilith problem? it's ok if you can't, i just figured that 1. you guys would be more knowledgeable with an older program like lilith and 2. multiple heads are better than one. :\

Sorry, I've never even heard of that program before.... afraid I can't help.

Chocofreak13

i just meant with translating and testing and such. :\ (tanky can't read japanese, so even reading the help files back to me would be helpful.)
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 11, 2011, 11:05:32 PM
i just meant with translating and testing and such. :\ (tanky can't read japanese, so even reading the help files back to me would be helpful.)

If its in Japanese or Russian,

Post it, I might be able to do a ruff translation in my free time.

By "Ruff" I mean, you will get the jist of what is being said but not exactly what is being said. If I can, I'll consult one of my contacts in Japan whom might be nice enough to do some simple translation that would be better than mine...

Red-Machine

Apparently, I share a birthday with the IBM 5150.

Dr. Kraus

I don't think any computers have the same birthday as me (December 11th) but Apollo 17 landed on the moon, The Statute of Westminster 1931 was enacted, Chinese Communists uprising in 1927 (Guangzhou uprising), Che spoke at the United Nations. Lots of messed up advents on my birthday and lots of great ones, there are many famous Japanese, British, and American's were born on my birthday.

Forgot to add that The First Chechnya War started on my birthday.

Chocofreak13

wyatt earp was born on my birthday. :3

@kraus: http://www.project9k.jp/

hell, if you can run it through a babelfish translator or something then pm me the results, i'd be happy.
click to make it bigger

Bella

I share a birthday with Paul Allen, Benny Hill, Geena Davis and Ken Leung...... and on the 21st of January, the Stock Market took the biggest hit since 9/11, NASA lost contact with the rover Spirit, a B-52 crashed at an airbase, President Carter pardoned the Vietnam draft-dodgers, and it's also Quebec's Flag Day.... ._________.;

But, yeah, no. No computers were born on my birthday. Although I think some are close? It might be the PDP-1 that was debuted in January, or was that December.... I forget.

Nichi

No computers where released on my birthday. To be exact, nothing I find interesting happened on that day except for me

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 12, 2011, 11:19:20 AM
wyatt earp was born on my birthday. :3

@kraus: http://www.project9k.jp/

hell, if you can run it through a babelfish translator or something then pm me the results, i'd be happy.

uhhhh... You did notice the "English" tab on the left hand side...right?