What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Rule #1 of cracking OSes: shady cracking software ISN'T shady if it's on a well-seeded torrent.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: NejinOniwa on July 26, 2011, 11:08:46 AM
Rule #1 of cracking OSes: shady cracking software ISN'T shady if it's on a well-seeded torrent.

Quoted for truth.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

When you don't have access to torrents, because your crappy internet connection makes it agonizingly slow regardless of anything, all that's left is the shady stuff that's likely going to screw up your system, or to try and figure how to crack it yourself

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

I'll keep that in mind in case I decide to reformat Asagi, cracking the copy of 7 Pro I have. Although, maybe there's a slim chance it'll work with XP, but it's not mentioned

Chocofreak13

good luck. if that fails, i'll ask my brother to make another slipstreamed copy of XP and pass it along to you. :[
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, that software didn't work for XP, like I had hoped, but I do have a new copy of it on the way from a seller under Amazon, which will hopefully work.

Anyway, I dug out one PC I had lying around, originally intended as a project to fix up for my dad before that laptop came about, and began tinkering with it. Here's a rundown of what it's like right now:

Minefield II - The Next Generation: Custom PC
CPU: Pentium 4 (2Ghz)
RAM: 256MB
OS: Windows XP Professional Ubuntu 8.10 Windows 2000 MS-DOS 6.22 + Windows 3.11

Yes, you read that right; a Pentium 4 is running Windows 3.11. All the other OSes I mentioned had strange issues unlike anything I had seen before when trying to install them (XP and 2000 would BSOD early into installation, while Ubuntu exploded into a sea of error messages followed by a kernel panic), while this combination works perfectly. I may try to move it to something else later on, but for now, you can't argue with 3.11 running on a setup designed to handle XP

Red-Machine

Methinks there may be some faulty RAM in that machine.

Dr. Kraus

Chocofreak13

yeh. :\ other than that, it's still pretty cool that you're reviving an OS as old as me. :3
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

I'm a whole version number older.  2.1 came out around the time of my birth.

Krizonar

System 7 came out a couple years before I was born.

Nichi

I was barely a month old when System 7 launched.

Also, does anybody know of a good memory tester that's DOS based? I have access to a Linux version, but seeing as Ubuntu can't boot on that desktop, DOS is my only option at the moment

Red-Machine