What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grant_p

It seems that everyone has that...the E-machines has one big breakdown, they fix it cheap,and then it runs forever.

I'm not the worst of the e-machines crowd.  My church and friend both have Windows 98 systems.

C-Chan

QuoteHey! A brother-in-eMachines

Y'all like that brand a lot, I see.  -v-
Thanks to Linux, though, I'm no longer terribly critical about the hardware anymore since I'm more inclined to "tinker" with it, warranty be damned (I never had faith in those anyway).  But that's just me, so the majority of my disdain is really aimed at companies that have had a history of being consumer traps (specifically Compaq, HP, Gateway, [yes] eMachines, Sony, etc.), be it not supplying recovery CDs or preinstalling abusive amounts of crapware, or inserting an intentionally poor powerbox, or faulty RAM, or an overclocked CPU, etc, etc,... in the hopes that your average computer user wouldn't know the difference.

That's why I miss the old VPR Matrix brand, because THAT was truly hardware for the masses,... Cheap yet surprisingly-well built, stable, pretty in a no-frills, no-nonsense kinda way, and with enough expansion to last for years (mine is still running strong).  They were SO good in fact, that the aforementioned companies fought tooth and nail to get rid of any trace of the legendary VPRMs.  ^__^

*sigh*

*prays*

ASUS,... you're my only hope.  ^.^

QuoteMy computer's used HD space is a (kinda) whopping 23 GB and it still boots up in a good 20 or so seconds...

Well hard drive space itself doesn't determine how fast a bootup goes.  It's a combination of CPU, RAM, drivers, startup programs, prefetch commands, harddrive fragmentation, and [if you're not careful] possible malware.  That's the reason why a fresh OEM XP install loads up relatively snappy, while one a year later that has taken a lot of abuse in gaming, internet surfing and shareware downloading, will inevitably perform sluggish.  Naturally, the less you use it for extreme tasks, the less problems you'll encounter and the longer the hardware will last (it's all about "wear and tear", baby). ^___^

QuoteIt seems that everyone has that...the E-machines has one big breakdown, they fix it cheap,and then it runs forever.

Yep, going back to the whole consumer trap thing.  ^__^
After all,... if these machines were reliable from the get go,... then they would never be able to sell warranties.  ^.^
To say nothing of the hardware manufacturers on the sidelines itching to sell the replacement parts.  ^v^

QuoteI'm not the worst of the e-machines crowd. My church and friend both have Windows 98 systems.

Aha!  More Hacchans!  ^__^
Seems they're more prevalent than we thought.  ^.^

grant_p

Sadly, I think you're right on the crapware.  The FIRST thing I do, with any new computer is GET RID of all the bloat, which can take HOURS, and three or four restarts.  The E-mach I have, for example, actually had to have part of the bloat removed BECAUSE it caused a conflict with another part (in this case, McAfee and Norton's anti-viruses on the SAME computer!).  And then, if you have to do a restore, it puts it all BACK.  I've ditched Microsoft Word, Money, AOL, 'service connection', and a LOT more.

That's why I'm, from now on, keeping a couple Live-CD's of Linux handy, now that I know how to use it.  If the hard drive crashes (which seems to be the only thing that ever goes wrong for me) I will just replace the drive, re-load, and go, perhaps installing the restore of my already-licensed Windows in a VM.  The only thing I have trouble with in Ubuntu is printing, it HATES my Lexmark Z715.

Tsubashi

I know what you mean about linux and printer problems. I've a number that either won't print, or print nonsense when I connect them to my Xubuntu computer. Luckily Sazaki-chan seems to like all my peripherals, so she typically ends up running a lot across my network ^v^

Added after 1 minutes:

As for bloat-ware, I've never had to deal with it, since when I did use Windows as a viable OS, I build everything from scratch. No preinstalled anything, thank goodness ^__^
-Tsu

C-Chan

Hmmm,... now that you mention it, I've never tried printing off my machine before..... '__'
(I don't do much printing period,... it's an eco-friendly thing, ya know... -v-')

QuoteSadly, I think you're right on the crapware. The FIRST thing I do, with any new computer is GET RID of all the bloat, which can take HOURS, and three or four restarts. The E-mach I have, for example, actually had to have part of the bloat removed BECAUSE it caused a conflict with another part (in this case, McAfee and Norton's anti-viruses on the SAME computer!). And then, if you have to do a restore, it puts it all BACK. I've ditched Microsoft Word, Money, AOL, 'service connection', and a LOT more.

The crapware is sad but inevitable,... in some cases, it's what helps keep the price of the computer low and/or the "Microsoft Tax" well hidden (cause like it or not, that copy of preinstalled Windows on your machine ain't free.... ^____^).  That's why I'm curious to know if the new Dell Ubuntu PCs have bloatware or not,.... cause,... ya know.... where would they get Linux-compatible bloatware from ?  ^v^;

Since you ditch word, btw, I reckon you're using something like OpenOffice perhaps?  ^___^

QuoteThat's why I'm, from now on, keeping a couple Live-CD's of Linux handy, now that I know how to use it. If the hard drive crashes (which seems to be the only thing that ever goes wrong for me) I will just replace the drive, re-load, and go, perhaps installing the restore of my already-licensed Windows in a VM. The only thing I have trouble with in Ubuntu is printing, it HATES my Lexmark Z715.

I like the cut of your jib!  ^v^
All for that brilliant statement, I grant thee access to our special avatar repository, so you can put one underneath your name..... ^___^

http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Avatar_Gallery

I have heard that Linux and printers don't always mix, although in fairness (like most other peripheral problems) the problem also has a lot to do with the fact that many manufacturers assume you're running Windows.  They'll laugh at you if you declare yourself a Mac user, and they'll look at you strangely if you say you use Linux (had that happen to me during the weekend in fact).  [And don't even try mentioning BSD, Solaris, QNX or Amiga, cause that's a one-way ticket to the nut house.... ^^;]

Ergo, a particular mouse, keyboard, scanner, or graphics card may not work because it wasn't designed to be universal.  And naturally there may not be a proper Linux driver available cause reverse-engineered driver writing is essentially a voluntary task.  So you either go ahead and try to write it yourself (to then distribute to the community), or you donate your stubborn hardware to someone who can write it for you and doesn't have the money and/or interest to buy it.  ^^;

As you well know, with THOUSANDS of printers released annually, it's only natural the best support is consolidated only among the better known and/or least problematic hardware.  The situation is infinitely better than what it was not but 5 years ago, but until Linux gets more desktop market share, it will continue to be a problem and sites like these will continue to be necessary:

http://www.linux.org/hardware/
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

grant_p

Thanks for the links, those will actually be useful (the avatars AND the hardware!).  I've GOT to print, though, for both normal letters to relatives with no PC's, or for Grad school.  

My current set-up:
Linux works out what needs to be done.  The page is exported to PDF or saved in Word format.
XP wakes up one day to find her inbox full and a post-it saying 'print this.'  She curses the day she lost her place as 'master' drive on this system.

And I didn't remove Word, I actually installed it in Windows (2003).  What IO removed was Works.  I have a PDA I synch under Windows with Documents to Go.  I don't know why, but Works really goofed up my files, and since I also write short stories and novels, that was unacceptable.  I replaced it with Open Office, so I now have OO and Word on the SAME XP load.  It actually works very well.  Though OO is very slow to start up in Windows.  In Linux it's faster then Word.  In either case I have the defaults set to .doc so as to have no compatibility issues.

Icelilly

Quote from: "Bella"

QuoteI personally LOVE e-machines, because it does what I need.

My thoughts about eMachines exactly! My laptop, K8, runs great. She's had lots of hardware problems though, but the (100-some-dollar) warranty has covered it ALL. The software/OS has been nothing short of amazingly stable.
My XP MCE computer is from e-Machines and I must say it's a great machine! If only I could say that to my 98SE that I'm using now ;_;

*whispers*
It's okay 98SE-tan... Viru-tan, Adware-tan, and Spyware-tan will leave you soon. *pets*

Bella

QuoteMy XP MCE computer is from e-Machines and I must say it's a great machine!

Woohoo!
*salutes sister-in-eMachines*

QuoteSadly, I think you're right on the crapware. The FIRST thing I do, with any new computer is GET RID of all the bloat, which can take HOURS, and three or four restarts. The E-mach I have, for example, actually had to have part of the bloat removed BECAUSE it caused a conflict with another part (in this case, McAfee and Norton's anti-viruses on the SAME computer!). And then, if you have to do a restore, it puts it all BACK. I've ditched Microsoft Word, Money, AOL, 'service connection', and a LOT more.

I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but it seems that laptops have less crapware than desktops. My eMachines had very few trials, which I promptly got rid of; my family's HP had more; but my friend's HP desktop was positively CRAWLING with junk software.

QuoteThat's why I'm curious to know if the new Dell Ubuntu PCs have bloatware or not,.... cause,... ya know.... where would they get Linux-compatible bloatware from ? ^v^;

I want to know if the Ubuntu machines will be $200 less than the Vista machines (cause Vista...you know...costs a couple hundred bucks XD)

grant_p

A $200 discount would be great, but from what I see on their site, it's not that good, perhaps because of the lack of trials and such.  That's what made me get a $50 hard drive and download a 7.04 Live-CD file.  The only difference, like I said, between my old one and the new ones is I lack a dual-core and a DVD-burner.  I can add the burner later and I don't need the dual-core, the Celeron D seems to work fine.

I wish the Ubuntu machines had been cheaper, I'd have grabbed one for college.

C-Chan

QuoteI don't know if this is coincidence or not, but it seems that laptops have less crapware than desktops. My eMachines had very few trials, which I promptly got rid of; my family's HP had more; but my friend's HP desktop was positively CRAWLING with junk software.

I think that's the case cause laptops are already pretty expensive.  ^^'

BTW, the whole CRAWLING with junk software thing takes me back to the late 90's, when the whole "free dial-up internet' and "free computer" fad was in full force...  ^__^

And I'm not talking "free" as in OSS, but just plain ol' free computers with Windows and livable hardware and stuff.  As with the free internet, the catch was that your entire computer was not only filled to the brimmed with crapware, but also had advertisements EVERYWHERE.  On bootup, on your desktop, on your taskbar, while you're accessing file manager, with pop-ups or sidebars interfering with game sessions, and naturally all over your browser,....  

Not sure if a computer was worth that humiliation, but I knew at least one friend with enough computer savvy [and a magnet] who cleaned out the hard drive and reinstalled vanilla Windows on it (or maybe an early Linux distros, I forget....).  

Voila!  Free computer, period.  ^____^;

QuoteI want to know if the Ubuntu machines will be $200 less than the Vista machines (cause Vista...you know...costs a couple hundred bucks XD)

QuoteA $200 discount would be great, but from what I see on their site, it's not that good, perhaps because of the lack of trials and such. That's what made me get a $50 hard drive and download a 7.04 Live-CD file. The only difference, like I said, between my old one and the new ones is I lack a dual-core and a DVD-burner. I can add the burner later and I don't need the dual-core, the Celeron D seems to work fine.

One of the reasons I was (or rather continue to be) suspicious of Dell is that they really don't seem interested in making the ubuntu Dell thing work.  Orders have easily outstripped supply, meaning they didn't bother to stock enough units (probably cause they didn't expect this to work out).  Furthermore it sounds like Ubuntu isn't physically preinstalled into the machines (they make you do it), and the hardware + drivers aren't guaranteed to work (so what the hell's the point of buying it from you?!  as opposed to, say, Tuxmachines.org?).  

And yes, there's the cost issue too,... and although there is generally a $50 USD difference, clearly it should be less given the equivalent hardware.  So they're either:

a) Pricing these conservatively so as to maintain a substantial profit in the event of consumer run-off from Vista.
    b) They can't add any bloatware/crapware to discount the price like in the Vista machines (the trial copy of that horrible Office 2007 alone probably brings the price down an additional $50USD).
    c)  They're trying hard to make these as unattractive as possible, so as to declare the Ubuntu Dell a failure and use this to shut up the IdeaStorm crowd for good.

Truth be told, there might've also been resistance "from the top" so to speak, and no matter how much market potential can be tapped by selling cheap Linux machines, they don't feel it prudent to risk having all their XP/Vista licenses pulled in retaliation, not when they still need to compete with HP, Gateway, Sony and Lenovo.  

It's a sad state of affairs, however....

QuoteI wish the Ubuntu machines had been cheaper, I'd have grabbed one for college.

...hope is on the horizon from unexpected sources.  Aside from that $189USD ASUS laptop I mentioned in another thread, other manufacturers are starting to push towards cheaper, lighter, greener, solid-state (or online) storage solutions that are for the most part Linux-based.  Since these machines already offer enough computing power and ultra portability to suit the needs of students (especially poor college students), but at prices that would make these major US computer manufacturers gag, there's a strong chance these will fly off the shelves.

If monkey see is forced to monkey do, expect Dell THEN to give Linux machines the respect they deserve (and yes, that means your $200USD discount).... ^___^

Added after 10 minutes:

QuoteLinux works out what needs to be done. The page is exported to PDF or saved in Word format.
XP wakes up one day to find her inbox full and a post-it saying 'print this.' She curses the day she lost her place as 'master' drive on this system.

Wait a sec,... is that "inbox" in the symbolic sense, or are you emailing your files to yourself to cross the system barrier?  ^^;

I mean that can work too (Linus himself prefers to store his files online for the entire world to back them up), but there are ways to get them across internally of course.  ^^'

(a separate FAT32 partition or a USB stick for example)

QuoteAnd I didn't remove Word, I actually installed it in Windows (2003). What IO removed was Works. I have a PDA I synch under Windows with Documents to Go. I don't know why, but Works really goofed up my files, and since I also write short stories and novels, that was unacceptable. I replaced it with Open Office, so I now have OO and Word on the SAME XP load. It actually works very well. Though OO is very slow to start up in Windows. In Linux it's faster then Word. In either case I have the defaults set to .doc so as to have no compatibility issues.

Coincentally, I just finished installing OO on my friends laptop that he'll be shipping over to his father.  It's such a great program, I consider the speed thing the necessary trade-off to all "free" stuff.  -v-

The slow speed has to do with the Java programming leftover from back in the StarOffice days.  The current OpenOffice developers have done an excellent job in cleaning up the code and improving the speed and performance of the office suite A LOT (trust me, StarOffice was abyssmally SLOOOOOOOOOW).  X__X
However, we're talking millions of lines of code and not as many developers as there should be (mostly from Sun still), so unfortunately it will be a while before its speed can be competitive with Microsoft Office.

KOffice applications and the old GnomeOffice remnants (Abiword and Gnumeric), on the other hand, can run rings around the M$ equivalents. But, like Krita, they're far from prolevel.  -v-

Dr. Mario

;hi Guess I'm the new guy here.

;025 Okay, time for me to blurt about my rig;

* Athlon 64 Venice 2.2GHz (Got it for $40 at www.newegg.com)

* Biostar K8T800-A7A motherboard (I got it with Athlon 64 CPU purchase as a combo - for $80.)

* two sticks of A-Data 512 MB DDR400 RAMs (Just want to make my Athlon 64 happy)

* BFGTech GeForce 7600GS 512MB AGP 8x video card

* c**ppy 20GB hard drive (planning to get 250GB ones, though...)

* two DVD burners, one is Sony and, other is Lite-On brands

* Ultra 450 Watts power supply

* Zip-250 EIDE drive

*Windows 2000 - SP4 (With AMD PowerNow! applet installed)

- I modified my case, as to shear those fan-choking grilles, put in glowy fans and, put in a blue LED for power light... You could notice that it has some decript hardwares - I mainly recycle the parts I ripped out of the computers that were in trash.

;020 Not too perfect, though. Because in Montana, I get poor easily - I wouldn't take a toilet job even if it's for money...

Oh and, I liked Me-tan, she's a hilarious girl... And a weird one too!
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

CaptBrenden

ur from montana eh?? Where at?
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Dr. Mario

;001 Yeah, in East Helena.
But, as I said, there are nohing good about the jobs.
(Sorry, Montanans... but it's that way.)

And, I still use Windows 2000 because it's more stable than
Vista (until at least it get Service Pack 1) and, way back to Windows 1.0.

CaptBrenden

I was born and raised for a time in helena :P  My mom and my dads side of the family is still over there and I take trips out there on a regular basis.  Heck, if you shop at the wallmart youve probobly been checked out by her before.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Dr. Mario

;020 Thought so. Although I don't really go to Wal-Mart too often.

;001 And, by the way, I might move to Tokyo - since my friends over there really wanted me there.  ;124 Guess I'm sort of a fun guy for them; Lemme say you, I used to be some sort of a class clown.