OS-tan families

Started by Bella, March 16, 2007, 12:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doddy

Hummmmmmm I don't know enough about osx to answer that.

I wonder how big the solaris family is I know at the moment solaris 10 is the newest version but is there like windows many different category's like severs, and business editions?

Bella

QuoteIt would be NeXTSTEP and Darwin. Yes I am aware that both are BSD derived, but they would be mandatory mediaries. I could have sworn we'd been over this before! ^-^

XD

NeXTSTEP and Darwin? OS X has two mommies ;) I thought they were more like cousins to OS X, though.
Oh, if only the OS X's family tree was easy to trace like the XP's (VMS-sama>NT-san>XP-tans! Yipee!)

QuoteI wonder how big the solaris family is I know at the moment solaris 10 is the newest version but is there like windows many different category's like severs, and business editions?

I really don't know much about Solaris, but I think that there'd only be one Solaris-tan at the moment...I believe the only time split characters are made from a certain OS are, like you said, in the case of Windows XP and (hopefully) Vista, where several different editions are made of the same base OS (Like XP Pro, Home, Media Center, etc.)

I think that Deja Vu artworks got in trouble when they tried to make a NT 4.0-tan (I think?), but that's a whole other story...

Aurora Borealis

I've thought of NeXTSTEP-tan as a godmother to OSX-tan. Still not sure about Darwin-tan though.

Bella

Then there's the Linux-tans. The way I kind of see it is like a family tree:

Linux (kernel)-sama, is the mother of the early distros, like Softlanding Linux System-tan, Gentoo-tan, Red Hat-tan and maybe a few others (Like Mini Linux-tan...)

Take the first daughter. Softlanding Linux System-tan would be the mother of Slackware-tan, who's the mom of Damn Small Linux, Zenwalk, etc.
Softlanding Linux System-tan would also be the mother of Debian-tan, who in turn is the mother of the Ubuntu family, as well as Knoppix-tan, and all the other Debian based OSs.

I guess someone like Red Hat-tan's legacy might be Mandriva>PCLinuxOS>SAMLinux just for example.

This is all just speculation, though.

Bella

And how would a (theoretical) BASH-tan relate to Linux-sama and/or the Mac family...?

C-Chan

Wow,... how could I have missed the action on this thread..... ^___^;

I'll be back later to offer my â,¬0.02, but BASH-tan was perhaps the only other App-tan I actually thought of working with.  

Not related by bloodline to any faction, she originally apprenticed under the Unix Family Central Command division and was sent to monitor and "consult" with the early Linuces in matters of POSIX compliance.  (With those early crazy Unices, you could never tell if they wanted to "consult" with you or "spy" on you... ^___^')

But so moved was she by the pure unhindered GNU spirit (enough to renew faith in her own humble roots, that she decided to pledge herself unconditionally to the Linuces, and help spread the doctrine of freedom and self-empowerment.  With enough energy to run a small city, she's always running back and forth assisting the Linux-tans in any way imaginable, with enough to spare for other OS-tans requiring a Unix shell.  She's also there to scold (or bash... ¬__¬) any one doubting or abusing the GNU spirit, which often earns her the nickname "Commissar".  On the other hand, she's very prompt and professional when nursing the injured or defeated -- when all hope is lost, you can count on her to offer a command string of encouragement.  ^___^

Physically she's very DOS-tan-like (perhaps just shy taller), and even though this might sound like plagiarism off of Maki from 'Seto no Hanayome', I actually thought (long before I heard of that Anime) that BASH-tan would also co-personify a hermit crab (cause she always carries a giant shell around with her).  Her favorite clothes would be in black, her weapon of choice would be a hammer, and her speech and mannerisms are proud and bombastic.  ^^

Kami-Tux

Nice posting, but Bash-tan also helps many other unices. She helps HURD-tan, the BSDs... hell, she sometimes even does something for our behated windows-tans.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Bella

She sounds like a very well developed character :)

chuk90

Lol, you're right Bella :P

Christopher

cool whats better windows or mac

Tsubashi

Anno...
Christopher-san, please don't ask that here. Many well established members have deep rooted opinions, and even new members will most likely post heated comments. Such questions can get out of hand. If you are determined to open such a discussion, please provide a well documented, or at least arguable thesis with credible support.

To any replying to his post, I plead that you will be civil and intellectual. Be curtious of others opinions, and please avoid flaming.
That said, I think you all know my opinion on the matter ^^'
-Tsu

Bella

I was wondering....

If DRDOS-tan is MSDOS-tan's mother, would that also mean DRDOS-tan is Windows 1.0-tan's mom...?

Cause win1.0 was based on MSDOS...

NewYinzer

I disagree. MS-DOS is based off of QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System, known more commonly as 86-DOS). It was coded by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products, who sold it to Billy Gates, who licensed it to IBM for the IBM PC. It was also modified into PC-DOS for the IBM PC. Tim Paterson copied QDOS from CP/M, the brainchild of Gary Kildall, one of the pioneers of the computer revolution. In the end, the family tree looks more like this:

(DR) CP/M-tan
         |
(SCP) QDOS-tan
         |
         |-----------------------|
(IBM) PC-DOS-tan    (MS) MS-DOS-tan
         |                             |
(IBM) OS/2              Most MS products, ending with Me-tan

Quotecool whats better windows or mac

Simple! Linux is better...

*NewYinzer's glasses start vacillating and senses start tingling*

Bella

QuoteSimple! Linux is better...

;010
I think the best OS is the one that’s of most use for any one person in question :P

C-Chan

The best OS should be selected the same way you choose moderators,... always pick the one that volunteers for the role the least.... -v-

*hugs AROS-chan*

WAAAH!!! You poor thing,... you'll always be the best in my books....  ;^_____^;

*ties her cat tail in a knot*

Sorry, couldn't resist.... ^___^;

QuoteI disagree. MS-DOS is based off of QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System, known more commonly as 86-DOS). It was coded by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products, who sold it to Billy Gates, who licensed it to IBM for the IBM PC. It was also modified into PC-DOS for the IBM PC. Tim Paterson copied QDOS from CP/M, the brainchild of Gary Kildall, one of the pioneers of the computer revolution. In the end, the family tree looks more like this:

What he said.  ^__^

I never really thought of 1.0-chan as being the continuation of any previous system.  She just,.... emerged.  ^^'
At best, MS-DOS and PC-DOS were step-sisters, and Xenix-san a kind of surrogate mother. -.-