Main Menu

Another iPhone debacle

Started by Laevatein, March 07, 2007, 08:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laevatein

As if Cisco wasn't bad enough...

Honestly, Apple needs to chill down a little and stop being so paranoid...

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

NejinOniwa

The apples, they do nothing!

Honestly, the guy should send that over to the Pirate Bay guys and let them deal with it in their "Witty Replies That Screws With Their Argumentation" way. I would SO love that. Apple needs some more spanking with big sticks.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Tsubashi

While it does seem a bit harsh, this type of thing isn't exactly out of character for apple. Consider the iCon incident! It's simply the mentality that Apple adopted from Steve Jobs. By Technical Definition, Apple is well within their rights to proceed. It would be impractical to do so, but entirely possible.

QuoteHonestly, Apple needs to chill down a little and stop being so paranoid...

I would agree, but their paranoia has worked thus far...

QuoteThe apples, they do nothing!

I strongly disagree. Apple has raised standards in the computer industry for a long time. The Apple Lisa was the first computer with a GUI. The Macintosh was revolutionary. While Apple isn't perfect (Not by a long shot) it's a big step in the right direction.
-Tsu

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "Tsubashi"
I strongly disagree. Apple has raised standards in the computer industry for a long time. The Apple Lisa was the first computer with a GUI. The Macintosh was revolutionary. While Apple isn't perfect (Not by a long shot) it's a big step in the right direction.

Sorry, but from technical standpoints, apple never was great. The first computer with a GUI was the Xerox PARC one, the multitasking and meory protection was programmed so horribly before OS X that it was worse than Win 3.1. While Mac OS X is neat, the compatability issue was solved idiotically. the filesystem has the big issue of ressource-fork and data fork, which is GREAT for compatability with other OSes...

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Tsubashi

QuoteThe first computer with a GUI was the Xerox PARC one

You're right, what I should have said was the first commercially available.

Quotethe multitasking and meory protection was programmed so horribly

True, System 5 and System 6's MultiFinder was pretty bad, but around OS 7-8 it improved greatly.

Quoteit was worse than Win 3.1.

No, I'm highly skeptical of that statement. I understand you seem to hate anything that costs $, but being closed-source doesn't make them all horrid.

QuoteWhile Mac OS X is neat, the compatability issue was solved idiotically. the filesystem has the big issue of ressource-fork and data fork, which is GREAT for compatability with other OSes...

Well, maybe other OS's don't use it, but it worked. Besides, OS X uses a "package" style implementation, using the UNIX file system to place resources in a directory and then presenting the directory as an app.
-Tsu

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "Tsubashi"
You're right, what I should have said was the first commercially available.
yeh...
Quotethe multitasking and meory protection was programmed so horribly

True, System 5 and System 6's MultiFinder was pretty bad, but around OS 7-8 it improved greatly.

Quoteit was worse than Win 3.1.

No, I'm highly skeptical of that statement. I understand you seem to hate anything that costs $, but being closed-source doesn't make them all horrid.

I am talking not of the multiFinder but about the ability to do multitasking. Mac OS till version X still used cooperative multitasking. Guess why they were desperate enough to change to an OpenSource kernel, they realized that it was high time to change to a better multitasking method. One where one application does not crash the entire system. You understand that I am interested in these things and that I here do not judge ideologically but on ttechnical basis and if I am not terribly wrong, Mac OS <X protected the memory of each process less good than 3.1, thus my quote.

QuoteWhile Mac OS X is neat, the compatability issue was solved idiotically. the filesystem has the big issue of ressource-fork and data fork, which is GREAT for compatability with other OSes...

Well, maybe other OS's don't use it, but it worked. Besides, OS X uses a "package" style implementation, using the UNIX file system to place resources in a directory and then presenting the directory as an app.[/quote]IMHO it is a bad thing: if I want to open one SVG file with inkscape, I want just probably to open them all in that program.

Also, at least early Mac OSes made a horrible fuss if you wanted to exchange data with other OSes exactly because they had no way to create a ressource fork. Maybe later it was resolved better but when I had to use a Mac files I created on a floppy under DOS did not appear...

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NejinOniwa

Um...guys...
;018
I think we're drifting slightly off topic here, I mean, look at the thread name? It says "iPhone". Not like...OS flamewar.
And my previous statement would be a PUN. Based on the fact that nobody cares for the macs anymore. And a ripoff of another PUN. Or BAD JOKE. Okay?  ;020
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

CaptBrenden

Okay Ive lost any and all respect for Apple that I might have had up untill this point.  That guy needs to spread that program over the internets like cream cheese on a beagle.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Galduke

Your going to eat a beagle? But I love beagles... They're so loving and cute.

CaptBrenden

-_- *leans on his nemisis ban halbard*  You knew what I ment.  Its well known the only "cute" and defensless animal I eat are black piglets.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.