Random PC Questions

Started by Laevatein, February 19, 2007, 08:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laevatein

Since I'm planning on having my PC reformatted soon, I think I'll just ask you guys a question:

Is there a way to save the links on internet favorites without having to manually record and then add them again after a reformat?

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

C-Chan

Big question right back at you:

Are you using Firefox by any chance?  ^___^

panithan

If you're using IE...
The folder for Internet Explorer's favorite is at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Favorites

You can copy that folder into CD,USB flashdrive, etc. Since it contains a link to the web page, it wouldn't be so big.
Does that help?

Laevatein

IE it is, and yes that was most appreciated, thanks :D

Another if I may ask... know of any good freeware reg cleaners around? My reg is rather cluttered with the amount of software I've been installing and removing these past few months, and even with the upcoming reformat would like to keep it clean ^^;; And of course, I'll need it to keep this PC healthy in the future ^^;

Exa

I have a question, too. Is there a way to prevent automatic reboots after Windows XP SP2's (critical) upgrades? Just because a few days ago, the computer rebooted in the middle of the night, when everyone was sleeping. I was not happy when I saw this, because I was downloaded something...

Pitkin

Quote from: "Laevatein"IE it is, and yes that was most appreciated, thanks :D

Another if I may ask... know of any good freeware reg cleaners around? My reg is rather cluttered with the amount of software I've been installing and removing these past few months, and even with the upcoming reformat would like to keep it clean ^^;; And of course, I'll need it to keep this PC healthy in the future ^^;

RegCleaner I remember hearing of, and if I'm not mistaken I've even used that proggie myself before. :D

OTGX

Quote from: "Exa"I have a question, too. Is there a way to prevent automatic reboots after Windows XP SP2's (critical) upgrades? Just because a few days ago, the computer rebooted in the middle of the night, when everyone was sleeping. I was not happy when I saw this, because
Turn off automatic upgrade or set your downloader starts with Windows (If possible)

Quote from: "Exa"I was downloaded something...
;271 ;175

Exa

Quote from: "OTGX"
;271 ;175

LOL, not what you mean! :p It has nothing to do with 18+ materials!

Nidas

Try Eraser. Theres a walkthrough for reformatting with it here

Laevatein

Quote from: "Nidas"

Try Eraser. Theres a walkthrough for reformatting with it here

Now that's a very nice utility... I think I'll find it useful for deleting my po... erh sensitive files against nosy people :D

Silentbob

I'm gonna reinstall Ubuntu as my current installation seems be completely botched (can't login no matter what I try).    Can I just boot from the live CD, format the partitions and reinstall?  Or is the Grub bootloader gonna be confuzzled if I do that?

C-Chan

Hmm,... never had to do that with Xubuntu, but my SUSE machine had no problem reinstalling from the CD boot menu when I too had an issue with the password.  -v-

Give it a shot,... GRUB is hard to confuzzle.  ^__^

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "Silentbob"I'm gonna reinstall Ubuntu as my current installation seems be completely botched (can't login no matter what I try).    Can I just boot from the live CD, format the partitions and reinstall?  Or is the Grub bootloader gonna be confuzzled if I do that?

Maybe you first should try to set your password anew... basically boot from the ubuntu-CD open a terminal mount the Linux partition to /mnt
become root (if you aren't, whoami tells you your username), cd /mnt
chroot /mnt
passwd $user

where $user is your username.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Oh right, I forgot to say that you might as well wait for the Penguin God for an official Linux response.

Especially taking advantage of the fact that she's here NOW and not missing in action.  -v-

Silentbob

Well, trouble started when I swapped from the 6800GT to an X1950 Pro card.  Obviously the xserver wouldn't start, but I knew how to deal with that.  But now, when I try to login, I just get sent back to the login screen every time.   I'm still running Dapper, so I figgered I'd just change to Edgy instead, since it's newer.  I don't have anything I need to keep, as I hardly ever save anything to my Linux partitions.