Linux-tan and the distro-tans

Started by Kami-Tux, February 12, 2007, 05:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

*Is in the corner, taking lots of notes*

Wow! A lot of that I've never really considered before! But aw crud! I forgot that the Linux-tans wield spears (and my renditions don't because I forgot about that)! >__<

Kami-Tux

Not all do, I never saw Lindows-tan with one.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Aurora Borealis

Well, Lindows-tan is sorta of an odd one out (I should have said "I forgot that most of the Linux-tans wield spears". Silly me!). But I also guess it's okay if DSL-tan doesn't have one because she's so small (but could try to make a spear out of a toothpick! Or just use a toothpick as a weapon! :D) and Tinfoil Hat-tan doesn't have one either because she's so paranoid and probably afraid someone would try to take her spear and stab her with it if she had one!

Kami-Tux

yeah... DSL-tan surely wears a toothpick as spear. *so happy that you made DSL-tan*

BTW: is there the 'small sister' tomsrbt-tan as well? (one floppy-Linux)

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Yeah, technically-speaking I had to cut my sermon short, due to work.  But I meant to finish saying that, like any other caste, not all members are gonna follow the same tradition to the letter.

Neither Lindows nor DSL-chan carry spears (although as you say, they may of course improvise with scallions/toothpicks respectively).

But the crux of the matter, though, is that they're all very strong, robust, independent-minded and/or crafty.  Not to imply that this makes them invincible -- far from it, the Linux spirit does also imbue them with certain DISADVANTAGES that have prevented them from taking the market by storm with their uber cheap prices (=free!).

Added after 10 minutes:

Compare countries where a person in one is skilled in many different folk trades (farming, metallurgy, pottery, masonry, etc), and a person in another that is only skilled in a single high-tech job.

Naturally, if you put person A and B together in a competition of talent, person A can work rings around the clueless B.

But for the most part, comparing person A's country to B's country is likely to yield a reverse scenario.  That's because person B makes a better collective thinker than A -- and as a Collective, efficiency grows and the Collective improves faster.  Naturally, there are more factors at work when you're talking socio-politics.

But if you compare the similar scenario of a praying mantis family (linux users) to an ant colony (Windows users), you start to get a clearer picture of why Windows has the wildly popular support that it has even if there are better quality OSes.

Added after 3 minutes:

BTW, this isn't Linux-related per se, but I'd like to pick thy Great Penguin God's brain a little to see if you can offer me any sort of tacit information about Xenix?

Her OS-tan is forthcoming for my micro-OVA, and I need to make sure I can take advantage of some good references about the system.  ^__^

I wrote about her preconcept a little here [in bold]:

http://ostan-collections.net/post-16340.html#16340

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: "Exa"It's just me or the Linux distro-tans are really too similar to each other? They don't have as many differences as the Windows or other OS-tans...

I have to agree, despite the fact that the distro-tans need to have certain obvious similarities, I think the current designs lack the appropriate variety.  I don't know what ideas I could contribute to a possible redesign, but I'm willing to brainstorm with somebody to come up with something.

The Choice of a New Generation.

C-Chan

First question to you is,... do you know which Distros-tans are out there at this time?  There's quite a few of them, just neither particularly well-known nor plentiful (hence the perfectly-understandable suspicion that they all look the same).  -v-

Kami-Tux

I put a list into the wiki... and some more... different distros look different. think DSL-tan or NepaLinux-tan...

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

IanDanKilmaster

I suppose my assessment isn't all that fair since all the Linux distro-tans I've seen were done by the same artist.  Have the guys responsible for the original Windows OS-tans done Linux-tans too?  If so, I don't believe I've seen them.  Apologies for my ignorance.

btw. Haven't noticed very much info about the Linux distro-tans in the English wiki.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

C-Chan

Hehe,... feel free to try out our OS-tan Wiki....  ^___^

http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Main_Page

...although I should warn you, it's not set up yet.  Priority's been given to all the canon OS-tans first.  (though Kami-Tux was nice enough to work on some Linux/Unix articles) ^^

Added after 1 minutes:

The English Wiki site USED to have some info on the distros-tans, but they deleted it along with over half of the OS-tan content (the bastards).  Hence the reason why we made our own Wiki, salvaging the information destroyed in Wikipedia, and expanding on it.  ^__^

IanDanKilmaster

Funny story, I ran a search on google for OS-tans (specifically Linux distro-tans) and I noticed the Italian wiki for Linux-tans was much more robust than the one in English.  Too bad I can't read Italian... and my experience with google translations sucked.  Anyway, thanks for saving knowledge from the wiki nazis  ;010 .

edit - I already discussed this in the member intro thread, but does anyone want to talk about a potential Konqueror-tan or Amarok-tan?  I think the design for either would be pretty straight forward, esp. Amarok (blue wolf logo and such).

C-Chan

FYI, found a rather cute rendition of the original Linux-tan design recently.... ^v^

Added after 2 minutes:

And even though it's not 100%-related (although it is OSS), here's the latest Seamonkey-tan rendition in case anyone's missed it... ^.^

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kami-Tux

Cuuuuuuuuute! such a lovely penguingirl!

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Aurora Borealis

Alfamille

Quote from: "C-Chan"FYI, found a rather cute rendition of the original Linux-tan design recently.... ^v^

Added after 2 minutes:

And even though it's not 100%-related (although it is OSS), here's the latest Seamonkey-tan rendition in case anyone's missed it... ^.^

C, I really wonder who drew that Linux-tan you showed us? Is it someone here in the forum? Coz' I saw that on waka yesterday...

(P.S. me love that linux-tan's design)