Main Menu

Linux

Started by s8man, January 26, 2007, 06:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Hehe, I hear ya.... ^__^

But if you do, you can boast that you have the collective processing muscle to make the XBOX 360 look like a Colecovision....  ^v^'

GAWD knows what you'd do with such a monstrosity, though....  ^^;

s8man

Quote from: "C-Chan"GAWD knows what you'd do with such a monstrosity, though....
Ha! I'd still only be doing e-mails, net, word processing, with maybe a bit of presentation work or some gaming to really stretch it(!)
Would be nice though...
...No. One thing at a time. And one PC at a time!  ;012

Fedora-Tan

MS Office (word, excel, powerpoint, etc...);128 Openoffice
Outlook  ;128 Thunderbird
Internet Explorer ;128 Firefox
Photoshop  ;128 Gimp, Inkscape
MS Paint  ;128 Kolourpaint
Notepad ;128 Gedit
Nero ;128 K3B
Winamp ;128 Audacious (better than xmms but same bases)
Windows Media Player ;128 Xine, VLC, Mplayer
Filezilla, FTP client ;128 GFtp
eMule ;128 aMule
Azureus ;128 Azureus (cross-platform, bittorrent)
MSN, Trillian ;128 Gaim
mIRC ;128 XChat (or Gaim)
Easy CD Extractor ;128 Sound Juicer
{dvd ripper, don't know a good one under MS} ;128 DVD::Ripper
{sound editor, don't know a good one under MS} ;128 Audacity
Adobe Reader ;128 Evince
Publisher ;128 Scribus
Winrar, Winzip ;128 7-zip (and tar.gz which is embedded)
Explorer ;128 Thunar (xfce), Konqueror(KDE), Nautilus(Gnome)
Norton AV, Kapersky, Avast, any antivirus ;128 nothing (Avast is free if you're paranoid)
IIS ;128 Apache
Access ;128 MySQL
Asp ;128 Php
ZoneAlarm, Firewall ;128 IPTables (usually embedded, and far superior)
DVD Player ;128 libdvdcss to install (then any media player)
Windows Applications ;128 Wine (if no free solution exists, like games)
$75.000 ;128 $0 (could be fun to sum the real thing :D )

;010

Added after 2 minutes:

If you have any software not mentionned above, i may try to improve the list :)

Xyanide

I figured a lot of those general porpouse programs would have their counterpart in the linux family (and being completely free too), but i don't only use the general porpouse stuff,
for example i actually own the FL Studio 6 producer edition, how would I go about using that? I heard news that they released a version on mac too, so would a universal binary version be sufficient?

C-Chan

VLC player and Inkscape FTW!!  ^V^

Though I think SQLServer would make a better comparison with MySQL than Access.  Access is just a solution for quick and dirty mini databases, but gets terribly inefficient with wider audiences.  (max = ~40 people)  ^^;

A better comparison with that is the database solution that comes with the Open Office Suite.

Fedora-Tan

Access can be _very_ powerful, depending on how you use it. Of course it can't stand in front of an Oracle, but can stay without shame the run against a MySQL. The only problem with Access comes from 1 - The OS (WinXP is _not_ appropriate, that requires Win2k or Win2k3 for ex) 2 - The admin (it's not as easy to configure as MSSQL or Mysql). While Mysql is overall OK regarding perfs, Access requires a skilled coder to be used.

That said, of course, i didn't mention MSSQL. Neither Oracle, actually.

Now for FL Studio 6, i'm really, really confident in the fact it exists a Linux software as good as this one, and i'm 90% sure it even exists a better one. However, since i don't use that kind of software much, i can't tell you THE same software on linux. Of course you could use Wine to make it work but my moddo is : if you use linux to work on windows apps, keep windows ^_^

But to answer more accurately to your question, just check here :
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4304

C-Chan

*whistles*  Skilled Access coder right here.....  -.-

*laughs*  Yeah right.  ^^;

I love the convenience of if it, but Access suffers from data corruption issues as a result of its Jet engine.  I was hoping to try an open source alternative instead, but the company is wary of all non-Microsoft solutions for small projects...  ^v^'

So I've gotten really good at making it work for just about anything we need, but am always on the look out for something better.  ^.^

Fedora-Tan

I just wanted to tell, Access is not as bad as some people would tell... and 40 ppl max was obviously a bit hard for that poor DB ^^;

For the rest and about my experience, it REALLY depends on the OS it runs. Windows 2003 as a dedicated server proves to be good, now for _large_ projects, I never tried. However, i deal with a MySQL DB which is 2Gb big (a few millions records) and even MySQL shows its limits here. (But it doesn't have to blush about that, seeing how piggy that database is :D )

s8man

I can sort of vouch for Access as well. A software developer at work works with Oracle for all sorts of things, but his website still uses an Access database running in a Windows 2003 environment which, so far, hasn't caused any of us to burst into tears. I say, so far...

C-Chan

"Seeing how /Cchan that database is"....  ^.^'

Quotehasn't caused any of us to burst into tears. I say, so far...

Neither has mine, fortunately, but it's given me quite a number of scares.  I should disclaim that up until a year ago, I knew nothing at all about database construction -- so clearly a lot of my earlier problems were likely the result of crappy amateur vba code and table design.  ^___^;

Then again, there's always a better alternative it's basically a fact of life....  ^__^

BTW, s8man,... would you be willing to splurge on a copy of eComstation 2.0 when it comes out?  ^v^

It's a great OS with comparable advantages over both Windows AND Linux.  It's just,... a wee bit,....... not cheap.....  ^_____________^;

s8man

Quote from: "C-Chan"Then again, there's always a better alternative it's basically a fact of life....  ^__^

Hear, hear. Ain't that the truth.

Quote from: "C-Chan"BTW, s8man,... would you be willing to splurge on a copy of eComstation 2.0 when it comes out?  ^v^

It's a great OS with comparable advantages over both Windows AND Linux.  It's just,... a wee bit,....... not cheap.....  ^_____________^;

Erm: well, that's a tricky one. It certainly looks good from a quick Google search (had never heard of it before) and from what you say... but you're right about the cost.
Even if it's a good OS, if I'm going to take a sojourn away from Windows for a bit, I'd like something free or at least pretty minimal cost (hence Linux occured to me). That way, I can try it, see what I like, maybe decide it's not for me.
What I checked out on eComstation didn't make it clear what sort of operation it was, either. You know the kind of thing I mean - it's quite easy to know what sort of thing a Linux OS is going to be, you know who made Windows, etc. It might just be me being a bit blind, but their site didn't seem to say what kind of platform it was built on. If any.
Still... I dunno... depends what else I turn up. If I have the money... and I don't take to anything else... Hmmm... splurge sure is the word, isn't it?!

Fedora-Tan

I'd stick to free solutions. Since they also evolve a lot (esp. lately), i think the ratio usage / cost will always be better for free solutions anyway (seems logical).

For small to medium business of course.

Xyanide

Quote from: "Fedora-Tan"Now for FL Studio 6, i'm really, really confident in the fact it exists a Linux software as good as this one, and i'm 90% sure it even exists a better one. However, since i don't use that kind of software much, i can't tell you THE same software on linux. Of course you could use Wine to make it work but my moddo is : if you use linux to work on windows apps, keep windows ^_^

But to answer more accurately to your question, just check here :
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4304

thank you! I didn't expect there being a linux platform version of this, and aparently it needs a lot of things to be fixed, hardware/MIDI controlling for example XD And i tend to use that a lot when working on new projects finding melody lines, recording the midi and then quantizing on the beat...it's going to be hard to be creative with the Linux version...i'm still sticking with windows yes
i rest my case :P

C-Chan

QuoteFor small to medium business of course.

Yep,..... at the moment, eComstation is really just for non-personal and non-small business use....... ^___^

But eComStation-tan has a very cuddly and adorable OS-tan....  -v-

http://www.verytragicalmirth.com/Images/eCS-tan.jpg

...so when 2.0 comes out, I will get her regardless of the lack of non-personal or non-small business use.  ^__^
And an AmigaOS too....
And Solaris....
And RISC....
In fact, I'll get them all!  *V*

*insane laugh*

Just kidding.  ^___^;

Truth be old, eComStation could use a better website.  But perhaps it's because it's based on such a famous operating system, they feel it's not necessary to say more.  -v-

And what, pray till, is this famous operating system you ask?  ^__^

Why,... only the one and only TRUE alternative to Windows.  ^____^

Had history progressed a little differently, we could be using version "TransWarp" of it right now.  ^v^

http://www.verytragicalmirth.com/Images/A$C2.png

s8man

Ok, eComStation-tan does look cute.
Not sure I could justify that expense based on how sweet the OS-tan is, though...
But obviously C-Chan is besotted... hehehe