Main Menu

Linux

Started by s8man, January 26, 2007, 06:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gummster

Quote from: "C-Chan"
QuoteWhew. Thanks folks. I thought I was in for a long and painful night.

I did the following and rebooted:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install gnome-panel gnome-applets

It's all back to normal now.

Experience shows that this isn't always the end of the story, but no worries,....  if something doesn't work, we'll just try something else.  ^.^
Your experience serves you well, I tried to reinstall the gnome-applets but then I got this error:
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/bandwidthd_2.0.1+cvs20050208-11_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I'm gonna guess it's because of the BandwidthD update that never wants to update, again I have no idea as of why.

C-Chan

QuoteThis may be a bit OT, but do y'all think gOS (aka cheap Walmart computer OS)

would be recommended for someone who knows next to nothing about computers and just wants to do web browsing and stuff? Cause I may know a few people who could really use this!

Coming off of Windows (like, 98 or ME), do you think such a transition would be well-advised?

*nods head in disapproval*  That's about as OT as discussing butter in a dairy market.... T_____T;

*sighs*  Bella Bella Bella,... whatever am I going to do with you.  ^__________^;

In any event, I know I was talking about gOS a couple of days ago, since it's an Ubuntu system with a nicely-integrated Enlightenment windows manager thrust into A VERY PUBLIC setting.  (hence, the need to make it as user-friendly as possible is paramount)
Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to play with it outside of a brief skim-through from the virtualbox.  

As a desktop OS, it seems like a neat concept, especially since those people are really just interested in web-surfing. Not only is half the system built around web applications (it's literally a Google PC, if not in body at least in soul), but it's cool sliding dock only features web applications (with like only 2 exceptions).  However, if they ever want to grow into the regular desktop user realm, then there might be just a tad bit of a learning curve getting used to the Enlightenment environment.  While gOS does come preinstalled with all your standard *Buntu apps, there is no start menu so these applications are essentially hidden (you have to right click on the desktop to pull them through).  I also didn't have time to figure out how to add/remove stuff from the dock, or add more icons to your desktop, but if it's anything like my experience with Elive, these are not drag-and-drop solutions (KDE is the best drag-and-drop system I know).  And of course, they have to get properly acquainted with a little thing called,... "synaptic".  ^.^

In any event, there's nothing to stop you from trying gOS on your own,... you've gots a VirtualBox to run it on, and a CD burner to try it for real.  ^.^
I plan to do the same, but might not likely get to it till the weekend (besides which, the LiveCD version of gOS is slightly different than the version shipped with the gPC. ^^;
If there computers are particularly old, this or DreamLinux or TinyMe might be great choices for Hacchan migrants.  

If it supports a little more power, then aside from the ones I usually recommend you might consider Mandriva 2008.  I consider it the best "cutting-edge" system at the moment, and unlike PCLOS 2007 doesn't require downloading 7-months worth of updates to get it up to speed.  ^.^

QuoteYour experience serves you well, I tried to reinstall the gnome-applets but then I got this error:
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/bandwidthd_2.0.1+cvs20050208-11_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I'm gonna guess it's because of the BandwidthD update that never wants to update, again I have no idea as of why.

Oh wonderful wonderful wonderful.....  TvT'

Apparently, the more recent versions of BandwidthD are known to be a little,....... unstable.  Why they still have them in the repos is beyond me, but guess it's grown too large for its britches (I can see now why the Debian folk made separate stable, unstable and experimental repositories....).  ^^;

The *Buntu forums also don't show any solution as to how to uninstall it (although there are a handful of people desperate for a solution), so we'll have to slug this through with a bit of healthy tinkering.  ^^

Did you go into synaptic to reinstall gnome-applets?  Before you do, search for BandwithD and see if it's already preselected for an upgrade.  If so, try to uncheck it.

If this doesn't work, get out of synaptic, open up Nautilus with root access (sudo Nautilus?), head over to the /var/cache/apt/archives/ and delete the sucker manually.  Then reopen Synaptic -- hopefully it won't pester you with it anymore.  

Now if when selecting the Gnome Applets for reinstallation, it STILL insists on upgrading BandwidthD, try to uncheck it then.  If this doesn't work, there are many things we could try, but one of these is to switch Ubuntu repositories to something which won't try to ram a faulty BandwidthD into your system.

If all else fails, go into synaptic, check out the Properties for BandwidthD, and post all the file paths it installs to here for me to see.  If push comes to shove, we'll do a little... "surgery"... either in the system itself or through the safety of a LiveCD.  `v'

Either way, this is definitely repairable,... no need to go distro-shopping yet.  (I always thought the Buntu colors matched very well with your violin)  ^__^

Gummster

Quote from: "C-Chan"Apparently, the more recent versions of BandwidthD are known to be a little,....... unstable.  Why they still have them in the repos is beyond me, but guess it's grown too large for its britches (I can see now why the Debian folk made separate stable, unstable and experimental repositories....).  ^^;

The *Buntu forums also don't show any solution as to how to uninstall it (although there are a handful of people desperate for a solution), so we'll have to slug this through with a bit of healthy tinkering.  ^^

Did you go into synaptic to reinstall gnome-applets?  Before you do, search for BandwithD and see if it's already preselected for an upgrade.  If so, try to uncheck it.

If this doesn't work, get out of synaptic, open up Nautilus with root access (sudo Nautilus?), head over to the /var/cache/apt/archives/ and delete the sucker manually.  Then reopen Synaptic -- hopefully it won't pester you with it anymore.  

Now if when selecting the Gnome Applets for reinstallation, it STILL insists on upgrading BandwidthD, try to uncheck it then.  If this doesn't work, there are many things we could try, but one of these is to switch Ubuntu repositories to something which won't try to ram a faulty BandwidthD into your system.

If all else fails, go into synaptic, check out the Properties for BandwidthD, and post all the file paths it installs to here for me to see.  If push comes to shove, we'll do a little... "surgery"... either in the system itself or through the safety of a LiveCD.  `v'

Either way, this is definitely repairable,... no need to go distro-shopping yet.  (I always thought the Buntu colors matched very well with your violin)  ^__^

I tried what you suggested, I deleted it manually, nothing seems to have worked, so, here are the file paths:
/.
/usr
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/bandwidthd
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/bandwidthd
/usr/share/doc/bandwidthd/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/bandwidthd/README.gz
/usr/share/doc/bandwidthd/TODO
/usr/share/doc/bandwidthd/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/bandwidthd/copyright
/usr/share/doc/bandwidthd/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man5
/usr/share/man/man5/bandwidthd.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/bandwidthd.8.gz
/etc
/etc/bandwidthd
/etc/bandwidthd/bandwidthd.conf
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/bandwidthd
/var
/var/lib
/var/lib/bandwidthd
/var/lib/bandwidthd/htdocs
/var/lib/bandwidthd/htdocs/legend.gif
/var/lib/bandwidthd/htdocs/logo.gif

C-Chan

Eeeeeeeep!  @___@
That thing is stuck in very sensitive areas, isn't it?  ^____^;

Fortunately, from the file paths, it doesn't seem like there's very much for you to delete,... or better yet, swap with working ones.  ^^

In any event, if you're feeling comfortable performing a little surgery, here's what you can do....

-  You will have to use an Ubuntu LiveCD for this, so get whatever you used to install your system.

- Before you restart in LiveCD mode, go into Nautilus and MAKE COPIES of the files we want to replace:

/usr/sbin/bandwidthd
    /etc/bandwidthd/bandwidthd.conf
    /etc/init.d/bandwidthd

Everything else is just documentation, so don't worry about them.  You can put those copies on a USB stick or something.

Now then, restart your machine, go into LiveCD mode, and search the LiveCD's drive for similar BandwidthD files in those same locations.  if they exist, make copies of them to your desktop or something.  

Then, access the / drive in your hard drive and replace your bad BandwidthD files with the fresh ones we got from the LiveCD.  I think you already have root access from the LiveCD, but if not you know... sudo nautilus.  ^___^

ON THE OTHER HAND, if they don't exist in the LiveCD drive, that might mean that BandwithD is likely not a critical component, so we might get away with just deleting those files from your hard drive's / drive.  Course, if I'm wrong, you can always return the files we backed up and try something else.  ^^'

If all goes well, then BandwidthD should no longer be a problem, and now we can go back to reinstalling Gnome Applets.  ^__^

Gummster

It appears that BandwidthD is indeed no longer a problem, as soon as I discovered that I tried to reinstall the gnome-applets I'm just gonna copy/paste the part I believe is not wrong.

Quoteldconfig: /usr/lib/libwnck-1.so.18.2.8 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libenchant.so.1.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libsexy.so.2.0.4 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwnck-1.so.18 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libenchant.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libsexy.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

Now, I don't know what magic bytes are but it appears they have to be at the start of an "ELF" file(?)

C-Chan

Well you kinda lost me there,... do you mean you did that whole thing with BandwidthD and got another problem instead, or you just tried reinstallation and just got all this stuff?  ^^'

In any event, these files only look partially familiar, but it seems we're getting somewhere at least.  0v0;

*ponders*

Wish I were there in person to tinker with this myself.  -v-

IanDanKilmaster

All that begins must inevitably end, those things which end usually have the option of beginning again.  That is what has happened here.  IDK-san, yours truly, is currently running a fresh install of Feisty Fawn from his desktop.  Why, you ask?  What happened to LTS-only, you ask?  Well, in my desperation to try and keep my desktop from being so damn sluggish, I decided I'd see how well a fresh install of Kubuntu would do instead of my changing Ubuntu to Kubuntu method.  I figured there had to be a lot of deadweight coming from my old GNOME desktop slowing things down in KDE, so I decided to create a small partition on my hard drive to test out a fresh install of Kubuntu.  Once I did, I discovered that indeed, I was correct, Kubuntu was running significantly faster with a fresh installation.  Okay, then came the problem of migration, how would I move my most important files from my first partition to my new one (more particularly, my music, I'd prefer not to rip those again).  I didn't want to back my music up to data discs as I had done before (the files ended up sounding very... bleh), so the only other answer I could think of would be to use a migration tool.   Problem is, a majority of migration tools are designed to work with porting things over from a Windows install to a Linux install, not Linux-Linux.  I eventually learned that Feisty Fawn was bundled with something called a Migration Assistant, which would auto-detect items on your current installation and give the option of which to bring along to your new installation.  So I cleared the recently created fresh install of Kubuntu, and started again by installing FF.  Migration Assistant failed, but I discovered that I really enjoyed using Feisty Fawn over Dapper Drake.  Well, after looking at my partitions again, I noticed that I had an extra swap partition, I need all the space I can get on this tiny hard drive, so I deleted it, cleared the new partition again and tried to combine the two so I wouldn't have any wasted space - no dice.  The extended partition prevent me from expanding the unallocated space even when there was unallocated space within it's own partition.  In frustration, I did some tampering which really screwed things up, I'm sure it was fixable, but yeah, I was frustrated, so I just installed FF over the whole damn thing.  So here we are full circle... beginning again, which isn't so bad, I've got my home and trash icons made ^__^.  First tech question, I need to know if I should install synaptic, I'm trying to keep the GNOME apps with their GNOME dependencies down, so does anyone know of a complete alternative to synaptic?  I could just use the command-line, but having a search function that lists all the possible .debs I could install feels a lot nicer.

No doubt this is only the first in a much longer line of tech questions to follow, lol.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Bella

Quote*nods head in disapproval* That's about as OT as discussing butter in a dairy market.... T_____T;

*sighs* Bella Bella Bella,... whatever am I going to do with you. ^__________^;

Hmm....I may have to just try it myself as well. You said it ran fine on a VM?

IanDanKilmaster

UPDATE:  Feisty Fawn FTW!
I can now run Wine without any kind of noticeable hitch so far, StepMania seems to run well (albeit at a lower color setting and resolution), and everything just seems so pretty... yet efficient.  I've made it a point thus far to avoid installing/using any GNOME apps for fear that I may return to the slothfulness that was my last Kubuntu installation, so I still don't have synaptic (yet I do have GParted,only because I find it to be a far better partitioner than QTParted).  Let it be known that I bear no ill-will towards GNOME, I just have a strong affection for KDE even if it puts a little too much emphasis on superficialities.  Anyway, I just got a game to work in wine, and I was also able to operate PortableApps in wine, and I'm overjoyed.  If I were a pig I would fly, because as we all know, Man-bears are much bigger and heavier than pigs and only fly after downing an 8-pack of Red Bull XD.

C-Chan

QuoteAll that begins must inevitably end, those things which end usually have the option of beginning again....

...Okay, then came the problem of migration, how would I move my most important files from my first partition to my new one (more particularly, my music, I'd prefer not to rip those again). I didn't want to back my music up to data discs as I had done before (the files ended up sounding very... bleh), so the only other answer I could think of would be to use a migration tool. Problem is, a majority of migration tools are designed to work with porting things over from a Windows install to a Linux install, not Linux-Linux. I eventually learned that Feisty Fawn was bundled with something called a Migration Assistant, which would auto-detect items on your current installation and give the option of which to bring along to your new installation. So I cleared the recently created fresh install of Kubuntu, and started again by installing FF. Migration Assistant failed, but I discovered that I really enjoyed using Feisty Fawn over Dapper Drake. Well, after looking at my partitions again, I noticed that I had an extra swap partition, I need all the space I can get on this tiny hard drive, so I deleted it, cleared the new partition again and tried to combine the two so I wouldn't have any wasted space - no dice. The extended partition prevent me from expanding the unallocated space even when there was unallocated space within it's own partition. In frustration, I did some tampering which really screwed things up, I'm sure it was fixable, but yeah, I was frustrated, so I just installed FF over the whole damn thing. So here we are full circle.....

[panicking]  OMG!!!!!!  WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!!!!!!!  @0@

*bawls*

d00d!!!  you didn't have to destroy all your personal files like that!  ;^0^;

Or did you,...? I dunno, it sounds like you did, but at the same time it doesn't.  Hopefully not,... I'd hate for this momentous transition to have a bittersweet feel.  ^^;

I never imagined the quality of any file would degrade if transferred to a CD/DVD, unless the burn was bad.  '__'
In any event, usually I just back up files to an external hard drive or stick in case I don't want to go through all the hassle of burning stuff left and right.  I know you have limited space on your hard drive, so for sure it would not have been easy to create a separate Ext2/3 partition, dump your home directory on it, then install Kubuntu Feisty using that separate drive as your /home mount.  It is a shame that they don't provide an upfront way of transferring personal files from one Linux system to another during the installation process.  They probably assume that all Linux users already have some sort of network backup scheme set-up already.  ^^;

This is also why I usually set up my Swap partitions to appear in the front of my Linux partitions -- that way, in case more expansion is required, there isn't a swap file to get in my way.  Just be sure next time to tell the installer to use that swap partition as its own -- otherwise, it just wastefully creates a second one.  

That reminds me, how come you used Kubuntu Feisty when Gutsy's already out?  I'm sure they might've broken something in Gutsy, but surely they fixed more than they broke?  Besides, you don't get sweet sweet COmpiz Fusion preinstalled in Feisty.  ^.^'

Quotebeginning again, which isn't so bad, I've got my home and trash icons made ^__^. First tech question, I need to know if I should install synaptic, I'm trying to keep the GNOME apps with their GNOME dependencies down, so does anyone know of a complete alternative to synaptic? I could just use the command-line, but having a search function that lists all the possible .debs I could install feels a lot nicer.

I believe Kubuntu does use Adept for its package manager,... but honestly, it kinda sucks (it crashed a lot on me when I used Kubuntu).  Besides, like GParted, I consider Synaptic to be one of those universal apps that you can't do without (like GIMP and K3B), built more-or-less with Gnome-related technology but not really requiring as many Gnome dependencies as some of the other apps.  

On the other hand, maybe they fixed Adept by now?

QuoteI can now run Wine without any kind of noticeable hitch so far, StepMania seems to run well (albeit at a lower color setting and resolution), and everything just seems so pretty... yet efficient.

Aside from newer versions of Wine, perhaps your old Ubuntu install did have something messed up with it that impacted performance?  Just seems a bit odd.  ^^

QuoteI've made it a point thus far to avoid installing/using any GNOME apps for fear that I may return to the slothfulness that was my last Kubuntu installation, so I still don't have synaptic (yet I do have GParted,only because I find it to be a far better partitioner than QTParted).

Well yeah, QTParted is awful AND dangerous to use.  T__T'
The only thing that I do like with it is that it can add labels easily to partitions, but there's more than one way to do this.  

In any event, try Adept and see if it works out for you.  ^^
Try installing Synaptic with it and let me know if it REALLY needs that many dependencies.  I can almost assure you it will not,... but then all my systems come preinstalled with it.  (PClinuxOS [KDE] and my 3ePC's custom Xandros system [IceWM and KDE] both use Synaptic, and it runs like the wind!)

QuoteAnyway, I just got a game to work in wine, and I was also able to operate PortableApps in wine, and I'm overjoyed. If I were a pig I would fly, because as we all know, Man-bears are much bigger and heavier than pigs and only fly after downing an 8-pack of Red Bull XD.

Well, you do realize that I did put Activity Patents on Pig Flying.  So if you try it, you'll have to pay me royalties cause you'd be infringing on at least 250 of my activity patents.

Oh, but I can't tell you which ones they are,.... you'll just have to take my word for it that you owe me money.  ^____^

QuoteHmm....I may have to just try it myself as well. You said it ran fine on a VM?

GAAAAAAH!!!  XvX

*collapses*

Ummmmm,.... well yes, that's true, I kinda ran it sorta well on a Virtual Machine.  ^^;

But.....

I dunno,... you sure you read my thing correctly?  ^^;

QuoteThat's about as OT as discussing butter in a dairy market.... T_____T;

In other words, I'm saying your question is so On-Topic, it's almost silly of you to ask that so timidly.  `v'

So let's get talking about gOS this minute!  ^v^

In fact, IDK-san!!!

Tear down Kubuntu Feisty this second and install gOS so we can analyze!  ^0^

Bella

O. M. G.  o_o

I seriously, honest to goodness don't know how this can be, but right now I'm writing from my VM Ubuntu...

She just started downloading updates...and I was like, wait, that can't be....so I  go onto firefox and....WTF? It's found my wireless network? And on a VM to boot?

And just to have some proof;

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/Screenshot-2.png  

This is my screenshot :p

Geeez, my mind's completely blown....

IanDanKilmaster

Quote[panicking] OMG!!!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!!!!!!! @0@

Yeah, my roommate had a similar but more WTF?!-reaction, but I honestly think he can't really decide if he thinks I'm a badass, a moron, or both.

Quoted00d!!! you didn't have to destroy all your personal files like that! ;^0^;

It's all good, all I really lost was my background folder (oddly enough I backed up my entire home/daniel/mypics/ directory and that subdirectory somehow didn't get copied... I assume it was probably some error with permissions that I neglected to notice).  It'll be a pain to do again, but I can always re-rip my entire CD collection, I don't DL so that won't be an issue (my pr0n, on the other hand, is another story -__-).

It's sad really, there was a background that I had altered using GIMP that looked really brutal and I wanted to share, but now is lost to the world... so sad.  I'm sure I could try and do it again though.

QuoteThat reminds me, how come you used Kubuntu Feisty when Gutsy's already out? I'm sure they might've broken something in Gutsy, but surely they fixed more than they broke? Besides, you don't get sweet sweet COmpiz Fusion preinstalled in Feisty. ^.^'

Yeah, from all I've read about it, Gutsy is fail.  Feisty isn't an LTS, but at least people have had a chance to iron out a number of the kinks and develop workarounds... newest isn't always best you know ~__^.  Eyecandy is fun, but I figure I can live without Compiz Fusion, prolly asplode my little compy anyway.

QuoteI believe Kubuntu does use Adept for its package manager,... but honestly, it kinda sucks (it crashed a lot on me when I used Kubuntu). Besides, like GParted, I consider Synaptic to be one of those universal apps that you can't do without (like GIMP and K3B), built more-or-less with Gnome-related technology but not really requiring as many Gnome dependencies as some of the other apps.

On the other hand, maybe they fixed Adept by now?

Adept is fail, my experience with synaptic was far better, so perhaps I'll stick with finding solutions to installing programs in the Ubuntu/Kubuntu forums (I just recently registered at Kubuntu Forums, yay!) and stick with the konsole/terminal (like I've mostly done so far).  I must say I actually enjoy the feeling of freedom that comes from using the konsole/terminal even though the limitation of not knowing what I can possibly install is rather annoying.  I think you have the right idea though, I'll prolly be working with synaptic.

QuoteWell, you do realize that I did put Activity Patents on Pig Flying. So if you try it, you'll have to pay me royalties cause you'd be infringing on at least 250 of my activity patents.

Oh, but I can't tell you which ones they are,.... you'll just have to take my word for it that you owe me money. ^____^

You sure I can't just ask which activities are patented?  Like cannibalism, is it included?  I need to know if "eating pork" is on your list.:p

QuoteBut.....

I dunno,... you sure you read my thing correctly? ^^;

QuoteThat's about as OT as discussing butter in a dairy market.... T_____T;

In other words, I'm saying your question is so On-Topic, it's almost silly of you to ask that so timidly. `v'

Yeah, I picked up on that too.  Of course, you had to mention discussing things in a market... as if it were Wal-Mart :p.  Silly pig, silly pig, leave the jokes to me, or you'll be devoured by the Man-bear - for I am listening to Danzig and in the mood for a snackrifice ^0^.  This is no disrespect to your status as senpai, for said status does not exclude you from the menu! ~__^.

QuoteIn fact, IDK-san!!!

Tear down Kubuntu Feisty this second and install gOS so we can analyze! ^0^

You must be kidding, I might be impulsive, but I'm no fool.  Now if you were to offer me some n00bie snacks, we might be able to work something out...

C-Chan

QuoteI seriously, honest to goodness don't know how this can be, but right now I'm writing from my VM Ubuntu...

She just started downloading updates...and I was like, wait, that can't be....so I go onto firefox and....WTF? It's found my wireless network? And on a VM to boot?

Fufufu... ^^'

Well,... this might or might not burst your bubble (because the latest hardware detection now might have a solution to your wifi card, and hence could probably work in LiveCD).  But the Guest OS in a Virtualbox VM is essentially borrowing connectivity from the Host OS.  I know this because my vanilla XP could connect to the internet instantly via my VM, but had to install ethernet drivers for it to connect in its own partition installation.  ;__;
So the fact that it can access the internet might only be because Windows is providing it.

On the other hand, some people prefer to access the internet this way, as you can surf the web via the safety and security, not just of Linux, but also of a contained virtual machine (so any malware you download STAYS in that fake drive).  ^^

Course, only one way to find out.... Try the Ubuntu LiveCD again (maybe Gutsy?)
Mandriva 2008 wouldn't hurt either -- it detected EVERYTHING in my work Lenovo thinkpad, and that sucker made a fuss with ALL my Linuces before it.  ^^'

[quoteIt's all good, all I really lost was my background folder (oddly enough I backed up my entire home/daniel/mypics/ directory and that subdirectory somehow didn't get copied... I assume it was probably some error with permissions that I neglected to notice). It'll be a pain to do again, but I can always re-rip my entire CD collection, I don't DL so that won't be an issue (my pr0n, on the other hand, is another story -__-). [/quote]

Ah well, i suppose as long as it's not a TOTAL loss, it's an acceptable "live and learn".  One of the things I like about PCLOS, though, is that it has a fairly decent backup tool easily visible in the Control Center.  When I was on the Buntus, however, I do recall I needed to hunt for an automated backup tool -- though in the end I just read up on some tutorials to do this on the CLI.  And that was back when I wanted to preserve my entire system -- since I've been a bit more mobile-spirited since then, now I just keep all my files, bookmarks and configuration instructions in easy-to-evacuate spots in my home directory, plus I also save my Synaptic markings so that if reinstallation is required I don't have to cherry-pick through synaptic again.  (This hasn't been necessary, but HAS saved me a lot of time when converting friend's machines to PCLOS.)

QuoteYeah, from all I've read about it, Gutsy is fail. Feisty isn't an LTS, but at least people have had a chance to iron out a number of the kinks and develop workarounds... newest isn't always best you know ~__^. Eyecandy is fun, but I figure I can live without Compiz Fusion, prolly asplode my little compy anyway.

*sigh* so it is fail then?  Shame....  I'd hoped they'd figured out by now that a user-friendly system cannot treat users like beta-testers.  ^^;
I suppose I'm lucky that Tex-san is VERY strict (some would say "anal") about what gets put in the public repositories for updates.  This is to minimize the risk of putting anything up that could potentially "bork" someone's system.  

Compiz Fusion was in the testing repos FOREVER,... so by the time it was available in public, it was an older version.  But it works nicely anway -- inherently more stable than Beryl, assuming you ever used it (and your machine lived to tell the tale).  ^^

QuoteI think you have the right idea though, I'll prolly be working with synaptic.

Okay, so Adept is still fail then too. ^^'
No problemo,... I know it's great you want to get proficient with the CLI and all, but trust me on this,.... Synaptic won't hurt your Kubuntu, so just go ahead and put it on.  ^___^
Better now that you have a fresh, clean install.

You sure I can't just ask which activities are patented? Like cannibalism, is it included? I need to know if "eating pork" is on your list.

*talks to lawyers and engineers*

It is NOW!  ^v^
Thanks for giving me extra FUD,... er, I mean for coming through with your fiendish IP infringement.  Now then, pony up some cash.  ^_____^

QuoteYou must be kidding, I might be impulsive, but I'm no fool. Now if you were to offer me some n00bie snacks, we might be able to work something out...

Oh right!  That reminds me!

Especially for you, Bella-san, but lookie here everyone:

http://www.linux.com/feature/121151

Fufufu... a fairly decent review of gOS, and it's actually looking quite interesting.  So maybe I will schedule that spin after all,... it does sorta kinda remind me of Linux Minty-chan after all.  ^____^

Bella

QuoteFufufu... ^^'

Well,... this might or might not burst your bubble (because the latest hardware detection now might have a solution to your wifi card, and hence could probably work in LiveCD). But the Guest OS in a Virtualbox VM is essentially borrowing connectivity from the Host OS. I know this because my vanilla XP could connect to the internet instantly via my VM, but had to install ethernet drivers for it to connect in its own partition installation. ;__;
So the fact that it can access the internet might only be because Windows is providing it.

On the other hand, some people prefer to access the internet this way, as you can surf the web via the safety and security, not just of Linux, but also of a contained virtual machine (so any malware you download STAYS in that fake drive). ^^

Course, only one way to find out.... Try the Ubuntu LiveCD again (maybe Gutsy?)
Mandriva 2008 wouldn't hurt either -- it detected EVERYTHING in my work Lenovo thinkpad, and that sucker made a fuss with ALL my Linuces before it. ^^'

Oh...I dunno if that busts my bubble of not, either :P I guess it's neat that it's finding the wifi through XP....

But now I can at least move files from Ubuntu to XP...it's kinda taking the lazy way out, but I can always move my pix or whatever onto photobucket and then to XP. Cause believe it or not, I've actually messed around on GIMP quite a bit ;)

The only problem I'm having is that the keyboard is pretty funky....the cap lock key seems to stick....

As for the virus imperviousness, that was actually the first thing I thought of...hehee..

C-Chan

Fufufu.... I always enjoy Bella-san's escapades with virtualbox.  ^___^

Speaking of which, I downloaded the latest version of gOS here in this legal torrent site:

http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=4835

And its performance has improved slightly, aside from now being able to fit into a CD-R (I noticed when I tried to burn that the first ISO was way bigger than normal.  ^^')

I know I promised real hardware testing, but ended up using the Virtualbox anyway.  Regardless, now that I've devoted more time to it, I have to say I positively impressed.  ^___^

While it may not be as pretty as Elive, it certainly is clean and polished-enough to do Enlightenment E17 justice.  Plus the fact that it has the full power of Ubuntu's 25,000-strong software repository -- as well as toll free help service (though this might only be for gPC users) -- certainly means it's a lot more useful!

First a correction:
I was wrong when I said there is no start menu.  In fact, it's actually the leaf in the lower-left hand corner (next to the dock/shelf) that I thought was just a decoration.  ^___^'
Second, while you can't drag and drop icons into the dock/shelf OSX-style, there is a fairly accessible menu with which to do this (and it works much more easily than Elive's menu editor).  

The same menu editor can be used to change the desktop wallpaper (and the menu itself is quite riddled with eyecandy).  One thing too is that you can increase the number of virtual desktops, and also set up gorgeous animated transitions for when switching to other desktops .  And get this... you can actually assign DIFFERENT wallpapers to each desktop!  So the first desktop can have a green wallpaper, the other one pink, another one a nice landscape, a fourth one a picture of you, etc.  And depending on your transition choices, these wallpapers can either just pop up, or morph, or slide into place.  ^___^

gOS has LOTS of things preinstalled, btw.  Maybe it's because there's more space leftover after ditching Gnome, but it certainly has more games accessible from the get-go.  ^__^
And like Ubuntu, it also has the software update finder enabled at startup, so it can search for updates for you a la Windows Updater.  
Ironically, despite the Google-centric appearance, the thing I despise the most of gOS is, in fact, the Google Search widget!  Fortunately, a little trip to the My Settings manager will yield the startup tab, where you can conveniently DISABLE the Google thing from loading up.  ^.^

I really want to test it out full force now, but just want to say this:

TRY IT!!!!!!  *v*

The gOS people are obviously onto something.  ^___^