Main Menu

Linux

Started by s8man, January 26, 2007, 06:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsubashi

QuoteHeck, even if the old machine could turn on, but the hard drive has kicked the bucket, you could still run PCLinuxOS just on the CD alone.

Lol, that's what happened to my presario near the end. Right before the whole thing went kaput, the HD failed, but it didn't matter, since the old thing never went down anyways (It was hard to get it to turn back on ^^')
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

heeeeeh~

Hay guys! I'm in some advical need hereissu...

Right now I'm considering what to bring with me on me trip to the States this summer. And among those things is definitely a USB sticky with a Linux installed, and my most important files on it. I'll be needing that to be able to work during summer, i figured.

So, what should I use? What distro is best? Any good apps to fix up on the thing? Also so you know, I'm just running on a small 512-mb stick here, so no Feisty for me - would prolly have taken that if I had the space, thou. -w-

Advica moar plz yaw! -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

C-Chan

Yo smug-faced Konata.  ^__^

Hmmmm,... 512 megs is kinda cramped, ne?  If only Linux weren't so hardy, generous and kind on your wallet, I'd  recommend getting a bigger one.  But definitely, we can work with 512 megs here.  ^v^

Naturally, the great Penguin God should offer her own solution to end all solutions, but for now this is what I recommend.  ^___^

Unless you're ABSOLUTELY sure the computers you'll be using in the States have no CD drives, I recommend burning LiveCDs of the following distros:

- PCLinuxOS (the best in my opinion) ^__~
- Kubuntu or Ubuntu Feisty (cause you want that, ne?)  ^.^
- Knoppix (best hardware detection in the world,... if it doesn't work on Knoppix, it's probably broken).  ^___^
- Puppy Linux (the best portable Linux in my opinion,... a bit more user-friendly than Damn Small).

My approach would be to use either of these Linuces to load up a Linux environment, and then just use your USB drive as storage space (for anything you have to save).  That way, you get the full range of applications you need (especially with PCLinuxOS and the 'Buntus) AND still have all those 512megs you paid for at your disposal.  ^__^
In the case of Puppy and Knoppix (I think, never tried), you can even save your LiveCD session settings on the stick, so next time you load up it wouldn't take so long.

If the computers you will be using have internet access, this should allow you to get any other program you need that's not already preinstalled.  Otherwise, it'll be a good thing you're bringing 4 distros, cause you're gonna have to make do with what they have.  ^.^'

Once you're done, take your trusty USB stick and LiveCDs with you, and the host computers will still be as virginal as you found them.  -v-

On the other hand, if all you can really use is the USB stick, then Puppy is the one I recommend you put on it.  The full version is 130 megs, although you can get stripped down versions of Puppy-chan as low as 50 megs.  There are some special instructions to follow, but shouldnt' be hard for a DC++ guru like yourself.  ^__^

http://puppyos.com/flash-puppy.htm

I would still recommend keeping a CD version of Puppy-chan plus a full-featured LiveCD (like PCLinuxOS) handy.  You never know when you get the chance to show off yer sk1llssu!!  ^o^

NejinOniwa

*bow* My Linux-jutsu is weak in comparison to yours, senpai.
I've definitely gotten way too little sleep if i can't make those kind of simple conclusions...agh craphat.

*trots off*

C-Chan

Ano.... so is that a yes or no?  ^__^

Just in case, here's everything that I said but keeping it concise:

1) Make LiveCDs of PCLinuxOS, *Buntu, Knoppix and Puppy.

2) Use USB stick as storage space.

3) Sit back and enjoy the mobility

4) ....

5) $$$PROFIT!!!  ^__^

Kami-Tux

I do not need to correct the xubuntu-using pig :)

I only recommend damn small linux ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org ) as alternative for the USB-stick.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

DSL-chan might work for you, NejinOniwa, and the benefit is that it's only 50megs tops (base install anyway).  It's just that the pig didn't find it particularly newbie-friendly -- but in fairness, neither is Knoppix (if you really really look at it).....  ^v^;

Kami-Tux

You never installed Gentoo or used twm, so you can not really talk about user-friendlyness

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Bella

This is sort of OT....About Dell and Linux O__o

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=40425

C-Chan

QuoteYou never installed Gentoo or used twm, so you can not really talk about user-friendlyness

"Newbie-friendly".  I said Newbie-friendly, which is actually very different from User-friendly (the pig chooses his words carefully).  -v-

User-friendly = intuitive to use by nearly everyone, regardless of whether it's an easy process being manipulated or not.  May or may not have a GUI.

Newbie-friendly = designed specifically for people new to Linux in general and with nervous fingers twitching over their copies of XP Home ready to reinstall at the first sign of a command prompt.  MUST have a GUI and should go to great lengths to hold the hand of the new user.

Most Puppy wizards walk you through how to do X and Y,... if they can overlook the dated interface, it's harder to be scared away from Linux with Puppy than with Feather or DSL.  

Likewise, PCLinuxOS practically cradles and massages XP migrants in ways that Ubuntu could learn a thing or two, so that one is almost TOO kind to newbies.  

Naturally, once they're more or less familiar with Linux, then (just like learning a second or third languages) their minds may be pryed open for more adventurous stuff.....

e.g.,: "BRING ON THE ARCH LINUX and FREEBSD!!!!!!"  ^V^

Added after 4 minutes:

QuoteThis is sort of OT....About Dell and Linux O__o

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=40425

I know they say there is "No such thing as bad publicity", but for the Dell-Ubuntu deal I'm not entirely down with it.  There's something fishy about it,... not so much the deal itself, but who Dell is talking to behind the scenes.  Â¬__¬

Maybe if other major vendors came on board to compete directly with Dell on Linux desktops, my mind would be set at easy.

Personally, I would love to see at least ONE vendor (major or not) begin selling Flash-based laptops with a LiveUSB-style Linux preinstalled.

NejinOniwa

Puppy-chan DID though hate my w/lan when i was trying to connect it, though. The Edgy LiveCD i tried before did not, so i guess i'll be going with Feisty Kubuntu LiveCD + usb bonus for the time being.

Btw, when do ya think KDE 4 will come out in full (non-alpha/beta ver), ya piggy?

C-Chan

Hmmm,... my guess would be October or so.  -v-

That one will be eye-candy central, so definitely something to look forward to.  ^__^

Admittedly, Puppy-chan doesn't automatically detect your LAN settings whereas all the other three I mentioned do.  Not sure why, but I eventually found out how to get Puppy connected (not as hard as I thought, but could use an autodetect nonetheless).

Still, Kubuntu Feisty is a good choice so I don't expect you to be disappointed.  ^.^

Kami-Tux

I'd settle for 'when it's done'  :)

hmm, right, piggy, luser-friendly is what you mean...

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NejinOniwa

Luser-friendly is mac. Luser-friendly means it hates everyone who tries to understand it.

...bagh.

C-Chan

Play nice, Penguin God, unless you want to end up with relatively poor hardware support for the rest of your days.... -v-