OS-tan OVA

Started by tAPOCHKIN, December 02, 2006, 08:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Aurora-sama, post, post!!!  POST!!! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!!!!!   ;^0^;

Okay, first things first,... Thurosis-san, I put the background on the GIF just to get that ball rolling.  Here's the small file and I emailed you the ZIP with the sources:

Added after 1 minutes:

You might need to hit refresh on that.  ^^'

Second, about the program that you use...

Added after 5 minutes:

I'm guessing that GIF animator creates animation by putting the raw frames in sequence.  This is how it's traditionally done, but yields to larger field sizes since it's essentially repeating the same bitmap over and over again.  Plus I'm not sure what settings it has switched on, but that could yield to a higher quality GIF = larger file size.

I'm using Adobe ImageReady -- a program with some limitations, but that allows you to animate using the same Photoshop layers as in your drawing.  Not sure if this influences the file size, but I wonder if this might be due to the fact that only a single instance of a bitmap is required (as you only have to switch layers on and off, to create movement).  Either that, or it optimizes the GIF to death till the use of bare-bone colors yield that kind of file size.

Either way, since you have Photoshop, I would check to see if ImageReady isn't installed alongside it already.  Usually the two are paired together.

There is a slight learning curve, especially since you're already used to Animator -- but at least you can get rid of that watermark in the corners.  ^__^

Added after 2 minutes:

QuoteEEeek!

*back away, just in case*

Naah, you did good work at the Wiki today, so that must be rewarded.  ^__^

I'll offer you a 36-hour grace period on paper fan whacking, so if I were you I'd taken advantage of my good will to whine and self-deprecate to your heart's content.  Hehe.... ^v^

Laevatein

Nice background there. Is that a dojo, or just a house?

I would like to help out with this project, unfortunately I'm still a newb in the use of Flash 8, though I have PS and IR experience in making gif's.

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

Tsubashi

Quote from: "C-Chan"Sometimes you can't draw because you really CAN't draw out of time or other responsibilities, not out of lack of so-called talent.

Yes, and some people really CAN'T draw, because they lack talent.

I should have time, if I just worked harder, or scheduled my time better, but I'm really bad at both. ^.^

You don't need to justify my inability to draw for me, really! I'm perfectly capable of making excuses on my own, I'll have you know! XD

Quote from: "C-Chan"Tsubashi-san has a lot to be proud of, be it because of his active Wiki editing,

Your right, I have made some contributions to the wiki, but I'm not very consistent. Besides, being one of ten users (including testuser) anything I do appears out of proportion. ^^;

Quote from: "C-Chan"or his willingness to READ people's posts and not have the attention span of an apricot. ^^

Thats just common courtesy. I'm sure there are many other who do that, so I shouldn't be praised for pointing that out in my PM. ^-^

Quote from: "C-Chan"So whenever he throws dirt at himself, I feel he's either being a masochist, or he's trying to hide the fact that he's an uber genius that will release the next "Hoshi no Koe" any minute now. -v-

Oh, Ummm... I never thought it was masochism, but I'm certainly no uber genius, or a regular genius (except by your standards, apparently).

Quote from: "C-Chan"In any case, don't forget to include collaging too, so you can have something to contribute

B-b-but I can't teach people! I wouldn't know what to say! Besides, most anyone can collage at my level, if they had time. -v-

Quote from: "C-Chan"your *cough cough* try-to-hard-modesty.... -v-;

I'm very sorry if I'm being overbearing. I'll try to stop, but you keep giving me so much undeserved praise!

Quote from: "C-Chan"Naah, you did good work at the Wiki today, so that must be rewarded. ^__^

Hehehe, but I only did the windows-tans! Shouldn't you reward me after I'm done, not before?

On a more topicful note, I was reading through your script (again) when I realized that I had no Idea what Xenix-tan looked like. So, naturally, I went looking for a picture, but I couldn't find any! Did I just do a bad job searching and missed it, or... what?

Added after 2 minutes:

This has already been talked about, hasn't it?

*runs off to search thread again*
-Tsu

Thurosis

Thanks alot C-Chan again 1.000.000 times!! ^_^

You help me a lot again ;010 because I didn't notice that i can use ImageReady (I have ImageReady but i never used it!) to make gif animation! Until now i used a damn old (share)freeware animator! hehehe.... -.-'

By the way can you tell(consult^^) me how to put sound into it? (because step 4)
for this short gif animation we could let her say "sugoi!" ^_^

after i done step 4 i will make another gif animation/background scenes

for our Mirco-OVA-project ^^

Our Group contains everything!

We have:

- peoples with internet knowledge (webside making)
- peoples with a large amount of infomation!
- peoples who can draw and animate!
- everyone are very active!  

these are very good conditions to produce something great!

Quote from: "Laevatein"Nice background there. Is that a dojo, or just a house?

I would like to help out with this project, unfortunately I'm still a newb in the use of Flash 8, though I have PS and IR experience in making gif's.

hehehe this is the dojo (but my own version) from this magazine pic hehehe...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Everything is learnable!~
It comes only on it, how much strives and time you put into it.
And there arn\'t better or worse for us artist only different!
All Artists have their own individually styles and all drawings have their own good sides!

C-Chan

QuoteNice background there. Is that a dojo, or just a house?

Well there's still plenty of things people can help out with, like keyframing, sound editing, brainstorming, etc.  ^__^

But first you'd have to choose which particular project you'd have to participate in, as there will be several ones done simulatenously.  -v-
My micro-OVA, for example, doesn't have any of the canon OS-tans, so that's bound to be a big turn-off for ME/2K/XP fans.  -v-;

Yes, and some people really CAN'T draw, because they lack talent.

I should have time, if I just worked harder, or scheduled my time better, but I'm really bad at both. ^.^

You don't need to justify my inability to draw for me, really! I'm perfectly capable of making excuses on my own, I'll have you know! XD

GAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!  You replied without mentioning a single word of that beautiful sermon that followed that comment,... a sermon of such greatness, it would've put even the greatest Roman orator to shame!!!  ;^0^;

*takes out paper fan, but hesitates*

Oh right,... grace period....  Ã,¬__Ã,¬

....Eh, no matter, I'll just put the punishment on queue.... -v-

*marks time on schedule*

Just you wait,... in about 23 hours, I'm gonna give you such a thwacking!!  `v'

QuoteYour right, I have made some contributions to the wiki, but I'm not very consistent. Besides, being one of ten users (including testuser) anything I do appears out of proportion. ^^;

Well you kinda justified your own worth here without realizing it, so no need to thwack you for that.  ^___^

QuoteThats just common courtesy. I'm sure there are many other who do that, so I shouldn't be praised for pointing that out in my PM. ^-^

Mmmm-hmm-hmm-hmm-hmm-....  -.-
Hehehehe.....  -v-
HEHEHEHEHE!!!!  -0-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!  ^V^

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHA!!!!!!!  ^v^

I never knew you were funny.  ^__^
-15 thwackings for being a funny guy.  ^v^

QuoteOh, Ummm... I never thought it was masochism, but I'm certainly no uber genius, or a regular genius (except by your standards, apparently).

+2 thwackings for failing to remember that C-chan standards ARE regular standards.
The pig rules,... ergo, the pig sets the precedent for all discourse and comparison.  ^v^

It just can't be helped.....  -v-

Besides, they claim that the sign of a true genius is someone who never fails to add good questions.  So perhaps without even realizing it, you buried yourself in a hole.  -.-

Sucks to be a genius, eh?  ^__^

QuoteB-b-but I can't teach people! I wouldn't know what to say! Besides, most anyone can collage at my level, if they had time. -v-

Oh, you can come up with something.  Besides, even if you don't want to teach anything to anyone, all you're really doing is discussing how you go about doing things.  Like making that Amiga boing ball animate and such....  -v-

And more importantly, you'd be adding participation -- numbers -- to that particular thread.  When posts are scarce, participation is scarce too.  -v-

QuoteI'm very sorry if I'm being overbearing. I'll try to stop, but you keep giving me so much undeserved praise!

Well that can't be helped,... the /C-chan is just generous in that respect.

Maybe you prefer to be like that to keep yourself in character -- no doubt, your uber-humility does provide you with a level of endearment that makes you particularly approachable.

However, if you would prefer to change that (and certainly for the sake of your RL persona), consider perhaps going with the flow a little more often.  A short-and-sweet "Thank you" conveys the same kindly message as "Please don't thank me because I suck", except it:

a) doesn't invite MASSIVE C-chan-style pushback.

and

b) gives you a calm, assertive air that begins to foster respect.

Being courteous, cool, polite and assertive are not inseparable traits,... if you've ever seen The Cat Returns, surely you agree that the Baron is no Van Diesel, and yet is all the more stronger for it.  ^.^

Course, I haven't done psychology in years, so this is about as far as my authority on the matter goes without starting to make crap up.... -v-

QuoteHehehe, but I only did the windows-tans! Shouldn't you reward me after I'm done, not before?

I won't lose an arm by praising you ever so often.  ^__^
Consider it part of the Golden Rule -- "Do onto others as you want others to do onto you."

(Hint hint, not that you need to be reminded.... -v-)

QuoteOn a more topicful note, I was reading through your script (again) when I realized that I had no Idea what Xenix-tan looked like. So, naturally, I went looking for a picture, but I couldn't find any! Did I just do a bad job searching and missed it, or... what?

Added after 2 minutes:

This has already been talked about, hasn't it?

*runs off to search thread again*

Nope, this is what I mean about "Hint Hint".  ^__^

Xenix-tan is one of the upcoming characters I plan to draw (well,... HAVE to draw for this micro-OVA).  With the exception of some inquisitve comments by the Yinzer, interest in her has been so fleeting that I've never gathered enough incentive to preemptively draw her or flesh out her personality.

I'll give it a shot now....  -v-
(just let me bold this so I'll remember later where I left it)

======================================================================

I guess to start, you could say that her character type will be initially based on a composite between Zefiris from 'Scrapped Princess' and Wilhelmina from "Shakugan no Shana".

(In my Scrap Art Gallery, you can probably find a picture hinting to that.)

She's the old servant and caretaker for the young Microsoft, certainly long before MS-DOS became a more active breadwinner for the emerging superpower.  Aside from MS-DOS and PC-DOS, she was around for a while to raise Windows 1.0 and Windows 2.0 (and perhaps teach a young OS/2 a thing or two).  But she was "retired" shortly after 3.0 (aka 3.1-sama) was born, and never got a chance to see the family she cared for grow in influence.  She was extremely loyal to the company and very kind to the young OS-tans -- but notoriously strict and Spartan with the company employees (hence, when she was "retired", few people missed her).  

As Microsoft gained notoriety, many of her Unix peers began to deride her as something of an old  "Consiglieri" to the Microsoft Family.  Even so, she never failed to defend them or Gates one bit for as long as she lived.

The only surviving direct relative she has is a daughter called SCO UNIX-tan, but you won't see her for a very long time.  (And she doesn't talk about Xenix-tan much anyway.)

QuoteThanks alot C-Chan again 1.000.000 times!!  

You help me a lot again  because I didn't notice that i can use ImageReady (I have ImageReady but i never used it!) to make gif animation! Until now i used a damn old (share)freeware animator! hehehe.... -.-'

Hah!  I thought it should've been hidden in there somewhere!  Good for you -- even though you're gonna have to learn how to use it, at least you now have access to a very good non-shareware animator!  ^__^

Let me know if you need help with it.

QuoteBy the way can you tell(consult^^) me how to put sound into it? (because step 4)
for this short gif animation we could let her say "sugoi!"  

For sound, we can no longer keep it in GIF format, as GIFs only store image data.
We're gonna have to transition to Flash or some other distributable movie file.  -v-

Quoteafter i done step 4 i will make another gif animation/background scenes

for our Mirco-OVA-project ^^

Our Group contains everything!

We have:

- peoples with internet knowledge (webside making)
- peoples with a large amount of infomation!
- peoples who can draw and animate!
- everyone are very active!

these are very good conditions to produce something great!

Well no doubt, we already have plenty of great stuff now, with more to come down the pipeline.  ^^'
But the two things we're missing is "time" and "organization" -- without them, our progress is gonna be snail's pace.  -.-

Thurosis

This could be interesting for everyone! ^_^ I t looks much better!

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=75&pos=0

it isn't ready but, right now i'm a little bit tierd because i slept only 3 hours hehehee....

I will add color and more movements to this :D !

@ C-Chan

Yeah that's true it lacks a little bit of organisation :D but it's okay in my opinion right now

I take the part as a drawer/painter (because I don't know how to make Sound right now! But I will learn if someone explain/consult/teach me about it)
(and you the animator/director, right? :D)

If some want to help me here is the zip data which contains the psd

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All Artists have their own individually styles and all drawings have their own good sides!

Tsubashi

Quote from: "C-Chan"GAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! You replied without mentioning a single word of that beautiful sermon that followed that comment,... a sermon of such greatness, it would've put even the greatest Roman orator to shame!!! ;^0^;

I'm sorry! It's just that it's the truth! You can't argue or debate about truth, it just is!

Quote from: "C-Chan"Well you kinda justified your own worth here without realizing it, so no need to thwack you for that. ^___^

Well, I suppose that's a good thing, because I like editing the wiki! ^-^

Quote from: "C-Chan"+2 thwackings for failing to remember that C-chan standards ARE regular standards.
The pig rules,... ergo, the pig sets the precedent for all discourse and comparison. ^v^

It just can't be helped..... -v-

Oh, umm... 'kay.I guess lots of people have really high standards then. ^-^

Quote from: "C-Chan"Besides, they claim that the sign of a true genius is someone who never fails to add good questions. So perhaps without even realizing it, you buried yourself in a hole. -.-

Only if you accept that as a definition, and think my questions are good.

Quote from: "C-Chan"Oh, you can come up with something. Besides, even if you don't want to teach anything to anyone, all you're really doing is discussing how you go about doing things. Like making that Amiga boing ball animate and such.... -v-

You know how some people who are good at things, have trouble teaching others how? Well, that doesn't mean people who don't do things well are good teachers. ^^;

Quote from: "C-Chan"And more importantly, you'd be adding participation -- numbers -- to that particular thread. When posts are scarce, participation is scarce too. -v-

True, I'd probably ask a lot of questions if such a thread existed. ^-^

Quote from: "C-Chan"Maybe you prefer to be like that to keep yourself in character [...] (and certainly for the sake of your RL persona)

I don't quite understand what you are saying here. Do you think I just fake humility? Do you- I don't know.

I'm probably just misunderstanding things again...

Quote from: "C-Chan"A short-and-sweet "Thank you" conveys the same kindly message as "Please don't thank me because I suck", except it:

That could definitely be a plus ^__^

Quote from: "C-Chan"b) gives you a calm, assertive air that begins to foster respect.

ah,  but assertiveness only brings trouble, at least for me. Calmness is good, but I wish I were LESS assertive.

Quote from: "C-Chan"[Xenix-tan stuff]

Wow, that's cool! Glad I didn't just miss it!
*Heaves a sigh of relief*
I went and saw the scrap art, and now I really can't wait till you finish her all up! ^^

Quote from: "Thurosis"This could be interesting for everyone!  I t looks much better!

Sugoi! You're amazing! How do you manage to put such quality stuff out so quickly?!?
-Tsu

C-Chan

QuoteThis could be interesting for everyone!  I t looks much better!

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=75&pos=0

it isn't ready but, right now i'm a little bit tierd because i slept only 3 hours hehehee....

I will add color and more movements to this !

3 hours sleep?!! @___@

No no no, my friend, we can't have that.  ^___^

I was gonna check this out a bit more -- but if it means convincing you to sleep-deprive yourself further, methinks I should wait a day or two until you clock in a good nine hours rest.  -v-

Sorry, those are the rules.  ^^

QuoteYeah that's true it lacks a little bit of organisation  but it's okay in my opinion right now

Only cause we're testing, definitely.  -v-

QuoteI take the part as a drawer/painter (because I don't know how to make Sound right now! But I will learn if someone explain/consult/teach me about it)
(and you the animator/director, right? )

Unfortunately with the sound part, it's really a matter of having the right tools rather than knowing how to do it.  Might be worth checking with redrackham on that, since he seems better used to those kinds of programs.  -v-

And we'll have to see just how far my role as a "director" will go (I ain't holding my breath).

QuoteIf some want to help me here is the zip data which contains the psd

Once you get your sleep, yeah definitely I'm gonna try something new if you don't mind.  ^__^
Something which will help you get into an Inkscape crash course of sorts.... -v-
Better to get your hands dirty ASAP than wait days/weeks/months for me to finish my tutorials.  ^.^'

QuoteC-Chan wrote:
A short-and-sweet "Thank you" conveys the same kindly message as "Please don't thank me because I suck", except it:

That could definitely be a plus ^__^

Sorry to cut your response short, but just to end that back-and-forth I should probably point out that all your responses are essentially fine closures to the discussion.  -v-

But this one in particular should give you a nice goal to set forth with.  Post in such a way that will prevent /C-chan from consoling you to death.  ^___^

Easier said than done, but if you manage to pull it off, methinks that'll be more power to you.  ^.^

Glad you like Xenix-tan's concept, btw.  -.-

I figure more people should learn about the long forgotten first Microsoft OS (BASIC doesn't count).  -v-

Thurosis

AH !!! YEAHH now i'm feeling a little bit better! ^^ now i can continue hehehe...

Tsubashi

Quote from: "C-Chan"Sorry to cut your response short, but just to end that back-and-forth I should probably point out that all your responses are essentially fine closures to the discussion. -v-

Yeah, if for no other reason than for fear of CaptBrenden, we should probably wrap it up. I was probably getting a little annoying too!

Quote from: "C-Chan"Glad you like Xenix-tan's concept, btw. -.-

I figure more people should learn about the long forgotten first Microsoft OS (BASIC doesn't count). -v-

So true! OS-tans provide a quick easy way for people to be introduced to so many obscure OS's, that it's only right to try to widen that range even more! You're doing a great job on that part, though.

Quote from: "Thurosis"AH !!! YEAHH now i'm feeling a little bit better!

I'll assume that means you had a very good night's sleep! Now you can work on those pictures again ^^
-Tsu

Thurosis

I'll assume that means you had a very good night's sleep! Now you can work on those pictures again ^^

Yeah ^^! and now i updated it! here is the link the newsest movement:

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=75&pos=1

and here is the updated psd data

Added after 17 minutes:

Quote from: "Tsubashi"

Sugoi! You're amazing! How do you manage to put such quality stuff out so quickly?!?

I drawn it on a transparent foil (without face). The Eyes and Mouth each on a    
separated foil (for the ground version). For the rest I used the Photoshop (each movment one Layer) and the ImageReady (for the gif animation)!

I thought I said that before... -.-# (I can't remember ;013 )
Once you get your sleep, yeah definitely I'm gonna try something new if you don't mind. ^__^

Now i slept  enough! hehehe! *back to animation work*

Do as you wish! ^_^ I uploaded this because so can everyone make their own speaking versions! (I will add more and more things to this! :D)

I can't thanks you enough C-Chan because you tell/teach/consult me so many things! :D so DOMO ARIGATO!! :D XD

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kami-Tux

Nice concept of Xenix-tan...  Maybe she and OS/2-tan can get along not too unwell with each other... they are both abandonned projects with M$ involvement. They might share the same wound of being ditched for inferior programs, so to say.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

QuoteAH !!! YEAHH now i'm feeling a little bit better! ^^ now i can continue hehehe...

Excellent.  -v-
Now we can continue.

QuoteSo true! OS-tans provide a quick easy way for people to be introduced to so many obscure OS's, that it's only right to try to widen that range even more! You're doing a great job on that part, though.

Thank you, Tsubashi-san.  -v-

QuoteYeah ^^! and now i updated it! here is the link the newsest movement:

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=75&pos=1

and here is the updated psd data

Alright, that's a definite improvement over the draft copy. ^v^ More so because, since you wanted her to say "Baka", you went ahead and made sure that her mouth only moved twice.  More on this later.

QuoteI drawn it on a transparent foil (without face). The Eyes and Mouth each on a
separated foil (for the ground version). For the rest I used the Photoshop (each movment one Layer) and the ImageReady (for the gif animation)!

I thought I said that before... -.-# (I can't remember )

Fufu,.. from the file size alone, I figured you were using ImageReady.  But now that you're getting your hands dirty with it, do you feel this is a more intuitive way of creating GIFs?

You will eventually come across some of its shortcomings, but for now I think you can go a long way with it.  ^v^

QuoteNow i slept enough! hehehe! *back to animation work*

Do as you wish! I uploaded this because so can everyone make their own speaking versions! (I will add more and more things to this! )

I can't thanks you enough C-Chan because you tell/teach/consult me so many things! so DOMO ARIGATO!! XD

Doo itashimashite....  ^__^
More important than being a numismatist who can do image sculpting pretending to be an artist, I want to make sure that I'm a teacher of new OS-tans, and a consultant of art efficiency.
I'm not concerned about the art appearance, since that's really the artist's own business.  But I am concerned with how fast you produce your work, how well you can overcome technological barriers, and how much advice you're looking for to help meet your preset goals.    -v-

Since I've already cut down a little on the time and difficulty of creating GIFs, that makes me very happy.  -v-

Give me a little while, and I'll show you something else which may or may not help you with animation.  ^__^

QuoteNice concept of Xenix-tan... Maybe she and OS/2-tan can get along not too unwell with each other... they are both abandonned projects with M$ involvement. They might share the same wound of being ditched for inferior programs, so to say.

Thank you Oh Penguin God.  ^__^
Unfortunately, that might be impossible.  ^^'

True, OS/2-tan has some relatively fond memories of Xenix-san (even if she didn't see her as much as the early Windows-tans and DOS-tans).  But Xenix-san, I'm afraid, was of a very antiquated school of thought; so loyal was she to her company that she would never think ill of it even if it spat in her face.

Besides, Xenix-san is also one of the few OS-tans who no longer walk among us....  Ã,¯__Ã,¯

http://ostan-collections.net/post-6111.html#6111

Sure it could be debated that SCO Unix is simply an updated Xenix, but for story purposes I'd rather have the former as a daughter who's understandably shameful of of her lineage.

Would be kinda pointless to get into too many details now when I have no medium to express them with, but it will eventually tie into the Unix Wars (which by itself is a very depressing topic that I'd rather not get into now).  -v-

BTW, I did right a little about OS/2-tan's history if you'd like to check that out too [read the quotes]:

http://ostan-collections.net/post-12681.html#12681

Kami-Tux

Poor Xenix-tan... poor xenix-tan... so bad the Windows-tans and DOS-tans have won the war for the market share...

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Thurosis

hehehe^^

this have nothing to do with the Micro-OVA-Project but drew something again ^_^

http://ostan-collections.net/topic-394.html