Your own Os-tans and kuns

Started by Spysweeper, November 28, 2006, 05:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

Discussing the tools used to create our own ostans and kuns is close enough for goverment work.  But as for the manufactures/programmers should take into account people with poor hardware... We are talking about a professional art program not paint.  If your going to be a seriose digital artist, which is photoshops target customer, you need a good computer or your behind the power curve already.  If your a coder or a secretary your good with just word, but If you want to create professional art, you need a computer that is up to spec for it.

Again, my point of view tends to be more from the hard core artist, casual artists need not pay attention.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Bella

QuoteWell yeah, SAM-chan would have green eyes, and likely blondish hair due to the over-prominence of yellow in the default system colors. She's also German and damn proud of it, and makes it fairly well-known that she hails from Saxony. -v-

Hey, I didn't see your post about SAM-chan!

Oddly, yesterday I did a sketch of SAM-chan. I thought of her as having green eyes (as stated before), and I thought of her as being German. I thought she'd have light brown hair. But blonde would be neat too!

But I also thought of her hair as quite short heehee.

QuoteXP's future is looking dimmer and dimmer...

*hugs XP* I'll always have a place for you! For you are smart, fast, stable, pretty, genuine, classic, much smarter than any non-NT while still being firmly in touch with your Windows roots, you don't rip-off competing OS's, your controllable and flexible while very intuitive, you taught me more about computers in six months than SIX YEARS with Windows 98 and SE, and most importantly, you gave me back my confidence in Windows (though your NT...ohoohoo, and VMS...heritage), after it took a beating with your crazy step-cousin or whatever, Hacchan.

*Starts waving Windows XP flag and singing*
I'm proud to be an XP fan; for at least I know I'm free, of crazy driver failures...*

Yes, long after M$ cuts you off you will be an OS to be honored, at least in my mind.

C-Chan

Whoops,... then in that case someone is STILL behind the power curve, cause "all real hardcore artists use Macintosh" says the general consensus....  -v-

But enough about that... thankfully Bella-san has also come to rescue me.... ^__^

QuoteHey, I didn't see your post about SAM-chan!

Oddly, yesterday I did a sketch of SAM-chan. I thought of her as having green eyes (as stated before), and I thought of her as being German. I thought she'd have light brown hair. But blonde would be neat too!

But I also thought of her hair as quite short heehee.

*leaps towards Bella and happily latches onto her*

Yeah!  You're back!  What took ya?  ^__^

I too was getting worried that our PCLOS-san/SAM-chan talk wasn't getting buried.  ^.^
Don't get me wrong, originally I wanted a light brown or red color too, since it does seem kinda cliche to have a blonde german....  ^^;
But the colors do allow it though... that is, unless we opt to make a green-haired SAM-chan....  -v-

*ponders*

Naaah....  ^v^

Quote*hugs XP* I'll always have a place for you! For you are smart, fast, stable, pretty, genuine, classic, much smarter than any non-NT while still being firmly in touch with your Windows roots, you don't rip-off competing OS's, your controllable and flexible while very intuitive, you taught me more about computers in six months than SIX YEARS with Windows 98 and SE, and most importantly, you gave me back my confidence in Windows (though your NT...ohoohoo, and VMS...heritage), after it took a beating with your crazy step-cousin or whatever, Hacchan.

*Starts waving Windows XP flag and singing*
I'm proud to be an XP fan; for at least I know I'm free, of crazy driver failures...*

Yes, long after M$ cuts you off you will be an OS to be honored, at least in my mind.

Haha!  That's why I keep telling you,... just get her to defect, and grant her political asylum and shelter for when the M$ patrol comes to try to shut her down.  -v-

Over the weekend I tested out a gizmo that may interest you and your newfound interest in expanding your OS horizons without abandoning XP-san.  It's called a KVM switch, and what it does (if you haven't heard of it) is that it hooks up two or more computers to a single monitor, keyboard and/or mouse.

With a flick of a switch therefore, you can toggle between one running computer and another.  In my test case, I had SAM-chan in my secondary computer running torrent downloads/seeds, a web browser and net radio, while in my primary computer I had booted XP-san to run a quick (yeah right...) session of Command & Conquer 3.  ^^
Even while pummeling the GDI and Scrin, I still had the liberty (at the push of a button) to switch back to SAM-chan to monitor my torrents and email and such.  And since this is a hardware solution, both computer perform as normally as ever.  ^v^

Why I'm mentioning it is because it'd be kinda cute to one day draw two OS-tans (who would otherwise not stand eachother) bound together by a KVM switch (which would look disturbingly similar to handcuffs).  ^.^;

Tsubashi

Ah, KVM switches are invaluable in my server room. I have a sixteen port switch since I rarely need to log in locally, so I only need to buy one monitor and keyboard set for all of them!

That is a great idea! Such a picture would be hilarious! ^.^
-Tsu

CaptBrenden

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/crash-different  

apperently not every one does so willingly...  that guy is my Idol
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Keh,.... Philistines.... -v-

Since when is art supposed to be straightforward?
Case in point....  -v-

*blows kiss in air*

Magnifique....  ^-^

That is a cute video, though.  -v-

Having worked with OSX for the past couple of weeks however, it did seem like a bit of a culture shock to not have full control of my hardware (including the absence of an ejection button).  But I reckon this is to make sure that things get shutdown or unmounted properly (otherwise, why would both features be in Linux).

One is tempted to just press and hold the power cord or yank out a USB flash drive in any computer, and most of the time this will do nothing on any system.  On the other hand, you could also be one of the unlucky few who ends up with data corruption on your HD or a broken Flash drive.

Moral of this Story:  "If you're using Windows, that "Safely Remove Hardware" feature isn't just for show."  ^^;

Bella

I thought of an idea for a serious Saseko/Vistan/2k-tan comic...please keep in mind that this'll probably never be completed : |

I was thinking about Win2k and XP. Because, they usually thought of the most stable and usable Windows OSs to date.
Does that mean Saseko (or I should say all the XP-tans) and 2k-tan might become closer because of their fading recognition? And the fact that, despite they still have a HUGE following, they are being left behind by their company?

I was thinking of how 2k-tan would react to Saseko being suddenly "second fiddle" to Vistan. Just as 2k-tan was "replaced" by M$ with a sister who's prettier, more friendly, but perhaps not more intelligent...Saseko is being replaced by a sister who's prettier, but perhaps a bit crazy, and certainly not much smarter.

2k-tan has been excellent at "paying her own way"; in other words, although she should have been retired, shuffled away and out of the public eye, she still continues to be useful to, and loved, by many. And not because of her company's backing...she has had to keep faithful friends and steady work though her own reliability. She has payed her own way in the world. And I think, given their similar situations (perhaps worse...or better...if you think about it, since 2k to XP was a slight leap forward, but XP to Vista is a tiny step...perhaps one step backward, from XP. So although Saseko's successor is not as stable, etc, the sad truth is she'll end up as the most known OS. Barring some Mac/Linux caused catastrophe ;) )  she'd want Saseko to realize the same thing.

Also this would be a good way to show Saseko in a way that isn't the stereotypical better-endowed-than-Harvard, ditzy airhead. She may have been living on M$'s dime for the last six years, but soon she'll have to work to keep people captivated with her.

The idea I had was Saseko coming to 2k-tan tearfully after having a fight with Vistan or something. And 2k-tan reassures her that if she could do it--certainly her sister can. Maybe have a flashback to when Saseko was very young and introduced to young 2k-tan, as her sister, the OS who'd change the world...and have a similar flashback between Saseko and Vistan.

I just don't want it to be too XP evangelizing, or overly sappy...
And I always loose steam with these big projects....

Added after 1 minutes:

QuoteOne is tempted to just press and hold the power cord or yank out a USB flash drive in any computer, and most of the time this will do nothing on any system. On the other hand, you could also be one of the unlucky few who ends up with data corruption on your HD or a broken Flash drive.

Moral of this Story: "If you're using Windows, that "Safely Remove Hardware" feature isn't just for show." ^^;

My cousin once read me the Riot Act when I didn't safely remove a CF card XD... I make sure I do now.

grant_p

Sorry fo the lapse, I register for grad school classes tomorrow, start then Thursday!

I am sorry if I somehow caused an argument, I just said I used GIMP because I was broke, that's all.  I'm not saying it is the same as PS, that would be absurd.  As I stated a few posts back, if you are into high-level stuff, you may NEED Photoshop, and a great many artists DO.  GIMP is just an alternative, not a substitute.  For my own very amature every-so-often use, GIMP works for me, but I haven't even tapped what it can do yet.  If you look at grantpilkay.com (my site) you can see that most of what I do is speech balloons.  And even early-on, you can see I was doing that in PAINT.

Back to XP/Vista, I think most likely, it would be a case of Xp discovering that she faces obsolescence, and handles it in the most mature manner she can think of.

She challenges Vista to a memory-eating contest.

Vista, unfortunately, wins, by spending so much time trying to find just the right look of Aero to wear to the contest she forgets about it entirely.

Tsubashi

Don't be sorry grant-san, the argument is my fault. Gomen nasai!

The whole bit about the 'most mature way' ending up being an eating contest cracked me up! Great Idea, Grant-san!
-Tsu

Bella

QuoteBack to XP/Vista, I think most likely, it would be a case of Xp discovering that she faces obsolescence, and handles it in the most mature manner she can think of.

She challenges Vista to a memory-eating contest.

Vista, unfortunately, wins, by spending so much time trying to find just the right look of Aero to wear to the contest she forgets about it entirely.

Bwah!!!

But Saseko's soon going to have to give up, or at least cut back, on fat n' happy-on-M$'s-dime ways...soon she's gonna have to learn to work to keep people's friendship with her and not Vistan.

Also, XP is the only OS I've known of that seems to stay consistent/better with age ;010

Tsubashi

QuoteAlso, XP is the only OS I've known of that seems to stay consistent/better with age

eh... with all due respect, methinks you haven't used enough OSes yet ^^'
Though I don't think Saseko will actually need to work that hard to keep a userbase. Vista has had a lot of bad press, plus it's insanely resource taxing, so a lot of people are hesitant to switch. Plus there is the enormous price. DirectX 10 will probably be the only saving point for Vista
-Tsu

Bella

Your probably right. I should say, the only Windows OS that stays consistent/better with age (though I'm sure 2k is similar)

Take 98 and 98 SE, for example. I've worked a lot with both...and they were fine out of the box but within a year or so they were noticeably much slower, buggy, crashy, etc...

When I first got K8, things were a bit problematic with XP, but after I started getting rid of junk programs, downloading automatic updates and stuff things seemed to even out. Same with the HP.

I don't think a lot of people will convert from XP to Vista, but with all the new computers running Vista bought each year, she'll loose some user base sooner or later.

Tsubashi

'course she will lose userbase; happens to every outdated OS. My bet is, though, that she will be able to retain them long enough until Vienna (or Window 7, whatever they are calling it now ^-^) comes out.

When the need arises for me to use a windows OS, I will pick 2k-chan whenever possible, simply because she is more stable and requires less resources to accomplish the same task. Though, having used almost all windows OSes since Windows 3.0, I think you are right to say that the NT descendants maintain usability longer than the others ^__^

Junk programs are the reason I hate getting prebuilts. The only reason I have some is because they were given to me (Most of the time needing parts and a new OS ^^'). Seems a bit audacious of them, ne?
-Tsu

Bella

I was also thinking of a semi-redesign of Apple Copland-tan http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=11522&pos=-5862

and maybe a design for Taligent-tan (Copland-tan's [twin?] sister)

I really like the prototype Windows-tans, Like Odyssey and Neptune-tan, I think it's neat how they look futuristic and mysterious. I was thinking of doing something like that for these Copland-tan and Taligent-tan.

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-5652

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-4583

C-Chan

Sou sou, they'd make for interesting Mac parallels to these particular M$ releases.  -v-

Fortunately since you'll be on expedition, you'll be able to showcase them all when you get the chance.  ^^