Your own Os-tans and kuns

Started by Spysweeper, November 28, 2006, 05:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Oh, I'm so spoiled on PS (even though it's quite old--PS 5.5).

Maybe when I get board with it I'll try the GIMP.

grant_p

From what I've seen, you may have some disappointments, I know PS is a lot more pro-level.  All I ever do is dumb comics or minor tweaks, so GIMP's great for me, but if you do better and higher level stuff, you may actually NEED photoshop.

I run into a similar problem with IE vs. Firefox.  I use Firefox for everything...except business, because the government stuff is standardized at IE and won't take anything else.

CaptBrenden

Thats why I use photoshop. Tho I use 7.0 (used to have 5)  All these... "easier" programs just dont do what I need them to. They are too basic.  Then again, dispite what everyone says, I never found photoshop to be hard to use or understand.  Its a very powerful tool, and in my opinion it dosnt take long to learn to use.  I only wish it had some of the nicties of say open canvus where you can rotate the paper and such.  Then again I also like the manga studio programs dispite complaints that they are too hard to use
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

grant_p

Oh, it's not 'easier', the user interface on GIMP is a nightmare (case in point above, where I only now find that it had a feature I've been wanting for a year).  It's just cheaper/free.  I'm not pure-free-software, or 'only use paid stuff'.  I just don't see the point of paying $100+ for something I'd only use every other week at most, or try to pirate it, because I hate that.

Hmm...now I want to see if I can write a short fan-fic about XP and the lousy time she's having in my computer, as her home gets older and the paid stuff moves over to Vista, she finds herself having to use AVG anti-virus, comodo firewall, and Spybot.

She suddenly has a terrible vision of her future, sleeping under a bridge with a sign saying "Give me money or the little dog in the search box dies."  Later she winds up taking out contract hits on Open-Source stuff:

XP's future is looking dimmer and dimmer...

C-Chan

GIMP as an "easier" program....?  @___@

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^v^

Whatever yer smokin', I want some of it.  ^___^

To put it simplistically, GIMP can be summed up as the "Poor Man's Photoshop".  For free, you can get a program that can essentially do 95% of what Photoshop CS3 can do.

However, as the old saying goes, there's no such thing as a free lunch.... -v-

Like Blender (which is essentially a Poor Man's 3Dstudio Max), the price of freedom is a VERY difficult interface, which while not impossible to learn and master, may take more time than you're willing to invest.  And while they are open source and this means that you can theoretically help improve it, chances are you're too busy or too uninterested (as an artist) to do so, and would rather just pay for the stuff you need.  -v-

Although at the prices of some of these programs.....

*trots off to Amazon.com to look up latest Photoshop price*

...HOLY HELL!!!!!!  That's extortion!!!!  @___@

*clears throat*

As I was saying, at some of those prices (especially the 3D ones), reading a couple of tutorials to make sense of it all may be worth it after all.  A pro in his field can do wonders with a program even despite limitations.  And certainly the more you're involved in an OSS project, the more fulfilling it feels when you see it grow and add incredible an innovative new futures.

*fawns over Inkscape's Blur effects*

Krita on the other hand has more of the Photoshop feel,... if that project soars, Adobe will have to look out.  In the meantime, it's still a relative startup and I really wouldn't put it past Paintshop Pro level.  

QuoteShe suddenly has a terrible vision of her future, sleeping under a bridge with a sign saying "Give me money or the little dog in the search box dies." Later she winds up taking out contract hits on Open-Source stuff:

Which will be pretty hard to do with the ever growing number of OSS vigilante groups.  ^__^

QuoteXP's future is looking dimmer and dimmer...

Well if you care for XP-san that much, try to get her to defect.  ^__^

You will inevitably share the same fate as the Amigans.
You and your colleagues...

*eyes Bella-san*

...love, adore and worship your XP, but the company that owns doesn't care much about it, unless it can be turned into a cashcow for litigation.  On the other hand, if Windows XP could one day become the property of You The People, then there will be thousands or even millions of enthusiasts like yourselves which could keep it alive, kicking, and useful for decades.

Certainly the OS/2 users knew that quite well, which made IBM's refusal to do so all the more infuriating.  -.-

CaptBrenden

programs like photoshop are professional tools, used my people who make a conciderable amount of money off them.  Thus, it costs alot.  Sucks for the casual artist/shoper but thats the way it goes I guess. they can have their free not as good programs.  Personaly Im not a coder so I have no drive/desier to help improve programs.  If I was you, I would have been pissed off I didnt have blur sooner, not extatic that I just got it.  My comments about GIMP were based on how often Ive heard you rag on how hard photoshop and the like are to use. I honestly have never heard of it.  Then again ive never heard of most of the "free" programs you talk about.  I paid my dues for photoshop and I belive every cent was worth it.  Im the type of professional that gets the quality gear, not the good enough for goverment work gear.  When I bought my batton, I didnt get a 20 dollar smoke shop special, I mail ordered an ASP colapsable batton with rotating sheath.  Why?  Because If I ever need to use it, I wont want it folding like a deck of cards on me.  Comprimize sometimes is not an option, and as an artist, so far ive found that using the proper program is one of those cases.

Tsubashi

I have to say, Captain-san is right in some respects. Photoshop is a very nice program that really isn't hard to use. It is much better than GIMP in most areas... but wait! This is, what, the tenth(?) version of Photoshop and we are comparing it to (in my case) GIMP 2.3.18? of course Photoshop will be better!

The reasons I use GIMP are:
a) It's fully configurable
b) It loads a lot faster than Photoshop
c) It costs less
d) I don't have to call tech support to find out why it keep crashing (Sazaki-chan and Photoshop-tan didn't get along well ^^')
e) Adobe randomly blacklisted my serial key, and won't give me a new one. Many moneys gone to waste -.-
-Tsu

CaptBrenden

I never have photoshop crash o_O  and I have no problem with how fast it loads.  Its part of the reason I got a fast computer.  I run photoshop, a dozen messengers, and FEAR or Dawn of War at the same time usualy and dont notice

Tsubashi

Gomen nasai, you misunderstand. The first time I installed it, something must have gone wrong, but tech support had no idea what was going on. When I had to reformat Sazaki-chan, it worked better. Then adobe revoked my license for no reason. T_T

I don't have a problem with the load time (It's not very long, actually), but I was simply pointing out that I can have GIMP up in half the time on every computer I've tried it on.
-Tsu

CaptBrenden

wow, 2.5 seconds instead of 5 seconds...

Tsubashi

Well sure, on Sazaki-chan, the difference isn't much, but on older hardware (which I have a lot of ^^') the margin is quite noticeable.
Doesn't matter now, though -.-
-Tsu

CaptBrenden

-_- and your talking about me being judgemental.. your compairing programs on the basis of your outdated hardware.

Tsubashi

Gomen nasai! I didn't mean to be accusatorial!
Though in my defense, I will point out that I was only listing reasons I don't use PS (and did explicitly say so). Simply because I can only afford one higher-end computer, and since PS did have some problems on it, it is infeasible for me to use PS. I never said that was the case for everyone ^.^

Added after 3 minutes:

and of course I'm judging the software based on it performance on a multiplicity of hardware. Not everyone has only bleeding edge hardware, and the manufacturers ought to be well aware of this!
-Tsu

C-Chan

So... like... Captain.....

Are you gonna be posting about an OS-tan or an OS-kun eventually?  -.-

(besides, I think you mean "Manga Studio"; Photoshop is stupidly simple to use and I've said this before...)

Tsubashi

Gomen nasai! I'm to blame, it's my fault; I was off topic!

To return on topic...

Great job Grant-san! I really like the whole "Permission" phrase, it made me laugh! You know, if this is "Being Lousy," I can't even imagine what one of your masterpieces might look like! ^__^
-Tsu