Your own Os-tans and kuns

Started by Spysweeper, November 28, 2006, 05:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyD

KOS-MOS is win. ^^

And to all: if you'd like critiques, I'm more than willing to give some to help.

C-Chan

OOOH OOH!!!  I NEED SOME!  ^v^

Does this look like something I should've drawn, and should beat myself for never drawing it...?

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=74&pos=35

...Or should I just keep it safe and sound in my graveyard?  `v'

CaptBrenden

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=48&pos=3

humm coming up with her design is more difficult then I had anticipated.. I will keep working..
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Bella

I'd usually post this in my own thread, but since this is far from a design or even an idea...I'd like to design an HP-UX tan (especially for a comic I might make)...but all I really know about her is
1) She's a very powerful Unix (thanks to Kami-Tux for that, :) )
and 2) she's made by one of my favorite computer companies, XD

Yep, pretty lame. But, really, compared to the more colorful Mac, Windows and Linux-tans, some of the Unixes are hard to think up designs for...

C-Chan

Well,... whenever I was stumped with OS-tans designs, I'd always just hit the books for a while to see if I could piece together an appearance and personality.  ^__^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-UX
http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/cache/324545-0-0-0-121.html?jumpid=go/hpux
http://osdata.com/oses/hpux.htm

Also thinking about the family holistically helps too.  The Windows-tans have nothing to worry about, so they're free to be the Love Hina of the OS world.  The Macs are artistic and affluent and behave like artistic and affluent people (not necessarily decent).  Linux-tans used to be pioneers and frontierswomen living off the land, so by now the majority are very hardy and capable individuals.

I've always pictured the old guard Unices as a little on the elitist side, so I imagine a look that's both very old-fashioned and extruding with power.  Since you prefer to dress your characters in real-life clothing, consider giving HP-UX-san the look of an 18th or 18th century baroness or duchess (an extremely technical-minded one, fyi).

Bella

I can see the Unix-tans as being the old money, sorta stingy and reserved, whereas the Mac-tans, the "newest" money (I'd say they had it for a while, then lost most of it at the hands of the Windows-tans, and are now starting to make it back...) would have a lot more fun. I guess the Windows-tans would be in the middle, rich enough to be carefree, but with too much at steak to let their guard down for a moment. As for the Linux-tans, they never were in it for the money. Well, most of them at least ;)

As for HP UX, the only thing about her that jumps out at me is that I'm sure she should have blackish hair, and angular glasses. I can also see them dressing sort of Lolita/Gothic-styled (toned down quite a bit, of course)

C-Chan

QuoteAs for the Linux-tans, they never were in it for the money. Well, most of them at least

Well,... guess you can't blame Linspire-chan and Xandros-san for trying.  ^.^;
Seems like no one wants to try anything unless it burns a hole in their wallet, so hey,... when in Rome, eh?  ^__^

In any event, onward towards HP-UX-san development!  I have full confidence in your ability to produce wonderful results.  ^__^

Kami-Tux

Or SuSE-tan (yes, SuSE Linux costed like 70â,¬ in the professional version)... but then SuSE employed (employs?) a number of developers for X11 so they need to have some income  :)

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

grant_p

I've been looking at people's various personifications of Vista, including the one that won out of all of them, but I got to thinking, Vista was a pretty good idea, with a  better (in theory) interface, better security, etc.  Was it really HER fault her programmers were a bunch of Big Brother wanna-be's?  Hence this idea, which I doubt I can illustrate properly, but I can at least sketch out:

The tragedy of Windows Vista

Vista started out as the ultimate Windows OS, she was engineered to be smarter, prettier, and more user-friendly then any of her predecessors.

Unfortunately, in the last parts of her development the folks in Redmond removed some of her more cutting edge features and decided to implant a mind-control device in her head, for who-knows-what reason.  As such, while Vista would be perfectly happy to be the best OS she can be, when someone back in HQ presses the button, she suddenly can't control the urge to call in and tell them your surfing habits, refuse to play your CD collection, or mess up your wireless router, or any of a number of other things.  Vista can't help herself when this happens, and feels terrible about it.  She explains that she'll go put on a nice Aero-glass interface and stream some audio to your speakers to help you relax.  And then she starts blocking you from running any open-source stuff and can't say why.

XP secretly thinks this is all very funny, and enjoys her 'replacements' frustration with her strange problems, as it keeps people from upgrading away from her, though XP-Tan herself has recently started waking up with odd headaches, no memory of what she last did, and the odd thought that there must be some sort of 'Genuine Advantage' to it all, somehow...

Meanwhile, the Mac-Tans just deepen Vista's emotional problems by calling her the 'poor cousin', and the Linux-Tans don't help by offering their full support...because she gets people interested in THEM...

NejinOniwa

*insert plot device hear*

...mmm...strawberries. me liek. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

grant_p

Well, it IS a blatant rip-off of anime and the X-files, but if you'd like to try to use it in a fan-fic, feel free!  I'm having trouble assembling the concept, which is why I posted it in the 'idea' thread, rather then a new one.

NejinOniwa

X-Files? Woah, I get 10-13 alerts here.

grant_p

What's 10-13?  My reasoning was after messing with Vista (not that way!) at Best Buy, I noticed that the general 'feel' of the system was very XP-like...then it popped up asking em if I'd like to send a report to Microsoft?  I didn't DO anything, so send a report about what?  And why?  Hence my idea of an XP-like personality, but with a minor problem, her remote-controlled tendency to turn bitter, CD-refusing, and obsessed with licensing.  And if you don't agree, they'll make her forget where all your files are...

NejinOniwa

Hmm...it does sound like a nice plot for...something.
And 10-13 is the thirteenth of october, it's some of the main character's BD in XF......thing is it's MINE too, so my x-files obsessive (or she used to be) cousin always remind(ed) me of it.

grant_p

That's the trouble, the 'something' that would make the rest of the plot.  An explanation of some of the annoying quirks of a computer is one thing but fleshing it out is another.