Let's Talk Anime/Manga

Started by L33t 4g3nt, April 28, 2005, 12:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L33t 4g3nt

Yeah...I know it's been done before in many other forums, but...

What Anime/Manga(s) have you seen?

(and also give a short critique of it, just to keep it this thread interesting...)

Anime
  • Love Hina

The first series I have seen, and by far one of my top favorites. It has a simple and easy to follow storyline and the artwork is pretty good (even though it was only "Love Hina Again" that most closely followed the art style of the original manga by Ken Akamatsu). I highly recommend this anime to everyone.

• Noir (part of it only...dang I need to finish this series :P)

Another one of my favorites. Even though I haven't finished the series, it still ranks high on my charts because of the storyline, the artwork, and especially the music. (If you might not be entirely satisfied with the anime, I bet that the music would still be appealing to you). Noir had gained a large portion of popularity due to the music in the anime.

• Mai HiME

One of the newer animes that had come out near the 4th quarter of last year. The whole series could be found online fansubbed. It was the first anime series I downloaded, and I downloaded it just out of curiosity. When I first watched it, I was hooked. This is another anime whose soundtrack was created by Yuki Kajiura, where she did another amazing job at. And again, the storyline was simple but unique, with its own twists, and the artwork was very good. (Oh...and they have a second Season coming up)

• Maria-sama ga Miteru

Another classic anime. I, personally, loved the story...Very heart-warming, and sometimes tear jerking. I've grown to like these shoujo storylines. The first thing one might notice is that these storylines have a greater depth and complexity to them compared to many action animes (usually aimed toward boys). Sometimes it's just good to take a break from the big, explosive, violent, and action packed animes and watch something wholesome and something that appeals to the kinder points in life. The artwork was well done And I'm listening to the OST right now.

((I've seen other animes, but these are the only ones I want to talk about at the moment... :P))

Manga[/b]

• Love Hina

Man, Borders is expensive...But the whole 14 volume set was well worth it. I loved the anime, and as you know...The mangas usually contain more stuff compared to the anime.

• Samurai Deeper Kyo (not completed)

Yea...I'm not finished with the entire series, but my overall impression is that the series is very good. The artwork is very good, and it has a good balance between and healthy serving of violence, blood and gore, and other action goodies, and a nice large side of comedy.

• Mahou Sensei Negima (not completed)

The latest creation by Ken Akamatsu. I've grown to be attached to Akamatsu's work...Or would it be the girls and the fan service...I don't know. But I've go to hand it to him, he's a very good artist. The story is pretty interesting and unique. A ten-year old child prodigy is sent to Japan to teach a class of students in junior high. He's lucky...LOL

• Hikaru no Go (not completed)

Another manga series I have started working on, and so far it has made me want to learn how to play the Japanese logic game Go. The art is simple and well drawn, and the storyline is straight forward. But I think it's pretty cool how the writer made a story about a board game seem interesting.

((I have more manga, but these are the main ones I am working on completing))

ShinraKenshin

QUOTE (L33t 4g3nt @ Apr 27 2005, 05:50 PM)
Yeah...I know it's been done before in many other forums, but...

What Anime/Manga(s) have you seen?

(and also give a short critique of it, just to keep it this thread interesting...)

Anime
  • Love Hina

The first series I have seen, and by far one of my top favorites. It has a simple and easy to follow storyline and the artwork is pretty good (even though it was only "Love Hina Again" that most closely followed the art style of the original manga by Ken Akamatsu). I highly recommend this anime to everyone.

• Noir (part of it only...dang I need to finish this series :P)

Another one of my favorites. Even though I haven't finished the series, it still ranks high on my charts because of the storyline, the artwork, and especially the music. (If you might not be entirely satisfied with the anime, I bet that the music would still be appealing to you). Noir had gained a large portion of popularity due to the music in the anime.

• Mai HiME

One of the newer animes that had come out near the 4th quarter of last year. The whole series could be found online fansubbed. It was the first anime series I downloaded, and I downloaded it just out of curiosity. When I first watched it, I was hooked. This is another anime whose soundtrack was created by Yuki Kajiura, where she did another amazing job at. And again, the storyline was simple but unique, with its own twists, and the artwork was very good. (Oh...and they have a second Season coming up)

• Maria-sama ga Miteru

Another classic anime. I, personally, loved the story...Very heart-warming, and sometimes tear jerking. I've grown to like these shoujo storylines. The first thing one might notice is that these storylines have a greater depth and complexity to them compared to many action animes (usually aimed toward boys). Sometimes it's just good to take a break from the big, explosive, violent, and action packed animes and watch something wholesome and something that appeals to the kinder points in life. The artwork was well done And I'm listening to the OST right now.

((I've seen other animes, but these are the only ones I want to talk about at the moment... :P))

Manga[/b]

• Love Hina

Man, Borders is expensive...But the whole 14 volume set was well worth it. I loved the anime, and as you know...The mangas usually contain more stuff compared to the anime.

• Samurai Deeper Kyo (not completed)

Yea...I'm not finished with the entire series, but my overall impression is that the series is very good. The artwork is very good, and it has a good balance between and healthy serving of violence, blood and gore, and other action goodies, and a nice large side of comedy.

• Mahou Sensei Negima (not completed)

The latest creation by Ken Akamatsu. I've grown to be attached to Akamatsu's work...Or would it be the girls and the fan service...I don't know. But I've go to hand it to him, he's a very good artist. The story is pretty interesting and unique. A ten-year old child prodigy is sent to Japan to teach a class of students in junior high. He's lucky...LOL

• Hikaru no Go (not completed)

Another manga series I have started working on, and so far it has made me want to learn how to play the Japanese logic game Go. The art is simple and well drawn, and the storyline is straight forward. But I think it's pretty cool how the writer made a story about a board game seem interesting.

((I have more manga, but these are the main ones I am working on completing))
[/quote]
O_O wow.....thats really....really good in details I ever have seen .....Keep up the good work on those anime listing like that .  

Koshi

Ooo, I always screw up lists like this and miss alot xD Hem, I'll prob add more when I think of them...

Anime

~ His & Her Circumstances; Kare Kano: First series I loved to death. Go Gainax! I even got used to the English soundtrack on the DVD... so sad the series got cancelled at 26 epis... the manga runs the story on, and I think it's still going ;____; I need to find money and get the rest. Anywhoo, nice teenage love story with awesome characterism and use of animation, and soundtrack. Down point: re-caps. Highly Recommended.

~ Love Hina: Ah... I think I forgot to watch the end of the series . And my friend has yet to lend me the manga, but I believe it was the first Anime DVD I bought at my first anime con EVER. Totally fun, yes awesome... Kaola <3

~ Revolutionary Girl Utena: Well, at first it wasn't as good as I thought it'd be (love the OP song), I sort of still want to compare it to the manga... think it has flow issues. But the concept overall was awesome... the 2nd season was pointless but fun (isn't it all pointless? xP), I've yet to see the end of the series... of course I've seen the movie though. Whoot eyecandy and MORE meaninglessness...? I love the movie still *shrug* The style appeals to me for some reason (yay sticks~) And all it's wonderful eyecandy... characters are all a little screwed though. ((plus I kill their fag pants...stupid pants))

~ Chobits: So many hate Chi... what's to hate? ;_____; She's like a Pikachuu with boobs~ ((is that why you hate her?!)) I love persocoms, the CLAMP bitches get too much love, but I love them xP Yea, I read all the manga and saw all the anime ((once again supplied by my friend~))

~ Gravitation: Just putting this down because it was HIGHLY disappointing to me and I haven't gotten my chance to give a little rant to many yet. If you don't know, this one's the.... yaoi rock band type thing one, with the blonde and the pink-haired dude. The flow is awful... the colours are eyehurting and clashy, the characters are unrelatable and unlovable and shallow and have no point... Shuichi's outfits were okay from time to time. Cue pointless yaoi kisses. *stabs* This probably won't be the last time I end up with a really crappy anime because my affiliation with yaoi drags me into it. BUT IT WAS SO HIGHLY ACCLAIMED! *glares at it* The OVA sucked much too. High point: opening theme song, minus the opening animation. I did watch the whole (short) series, though.

~ Pretear: Ha ha... '^^ Very mahou shoujo, based around "Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs". Only the seven dwarfs are bishounen boys... all you really needed to know o____o I'm over it... though I liked the short series at the time xD

Aaaah, all those series seem so shoujo T___T I have so many more series I've seen a few epis of that I MUST continue... Kino's Journey is one...

Manga

'-_____- Mostly CLAMP...

~ WISH by CLAMP: Favourite and first... nice short 4 book series... very shoujo. Tsubaki Nekoi~

~ Alichino: AWESOMELY drawn series, I got through scanlations... It'd be nice if the next book was out. Fantasy story line, androgynously drawn characters... and the fun mystery of discovering whether or not Enyu is male or female for THREE FRICKEN BOOKS!

~ Gouhou/Legal Drug: More CLAMP, more Tsubaki Nekoi. <3 Damm CLAMP bitches, should finish a story... shounen ai and fantasy, centered around a pharmacy... they have psychic powers *shrug* Kakei-san!

~ Shinshi Doumei Cross; Gentlemans Alliance: Arina Tanemura's newest, the starting was better, but she lost her knack somewhere... I love Tanemura's style.

~ + more CLAMP crap here and there xD Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles... hearts for that, must get more fansubs.

Waah, anyway xD I got carried away... one does not have to read all of that *shrug* It kept me procrastinating my homework <3    

QuoteMahou Sensei Negima (not completed)

^ Hell ya! Ken Akamatsu~ Maaan, I love his cute skill at all the cute cute fanservice <3 Negi rocks... 31 school girls, yes please thankyou. I only got up to volume... 4, I think.

L33t 4g3nt

QUOTE (Koshi @ Apr 28 2005, 12:51 PM)
^ Hell ya! Ken Akamatsu~ Maaan, I love his cute skill at all the cute cute fanservice <3 Negi rocks... 31 school girls, yes please thankyou. I only got up to volume... 4, I think. [/quote]
yea! go go Akamatsu! I think Random House is coming out with volume 3 in June or something...still to far away...grrr

FabianN

I'll try to list all that I have seen... I'll start with my favs.

Neon Genesis Evangilion--
I know, I know... almost everyone loves this. I just can't get enough of it. The characters are just so well fleshed out. But for me, the real story did not start till about half-way through the series... Everything before that was just a way to discribe the characters in such a detail that they become real, and at the same time being eintertaining.

Kare Kano--
I swear, if it had not been for the last few eps where Anno left, this would have knocked Eva down to 2nd. It's got the same depth in the characters as in eva, and, like all of the other GainaX shows that I've watched, is all about growing up.

FLCL--
I know, I know... GainaX, GainaX, and more GainaX... they are just sooo kick-ass at storytelling. I just loved this series, which, again, was about growing up. And I can't get enough of it. Great sound-track, great story, and great fun.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenonashi--
Last GainaX one I'll mention :lol: . This one, just slaps everything we love with the silly-stick. It carrys the GainaX style, and is really like FLCL, only 26 eps long.

Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X--
I liked the series about half way in it. About when it got to the point with the dude that looks like a mummy, it just got... boring for me. But the OVAs... Both Samurai X's... Those, I loved those, and the end of both of them, I cried. You can really feel Kenshin's pain, and it's very touching.

I'm just going to list the rest of the Animes that I have seen:
Appleseed (the new movie)
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2
Dominion Tank Police
Akira
Alien Nine
Blood, The Last Vampire
Blue Submarine No. 6
Colorful!
Cowboy Bebop
Cromartie High School (currently watching)
Eiken
Excel Saga
Full Metal Panic (currently watching)
Gantz (currently watching)
.hack//sign
Hellsing
Kite
Last Exile
Magical Play
Memories
Mezzo (currently watching the series, seen the original)
Millennium Actress
Noir (currently watching)
Nurse Witch Komugi
Outlaw Star
Perfect Blue
Puni Puni Poemi
Texhnolyze (currently watching)
Tokyo Godfathers
Vampire Hunter D
Yukikaze

And these are ones that I have, but havn't gotten around to watching yet:
Ikki Tousen
Nausicaa
Steam Boy
Xenosaga - The Animation
Boogiepop phantom
Gunbuster

As for mangas, my No. 1 favorite is...
Parasyte--
This is just a really deep and thought provoking story. Really makes you look at the world around out all over agian.

GTO--
What can I say... Very funny, but also has interesting storys of growing up. Really enjoy this one

Love Hina--
Never seen the anime, and I keep telling myself to see it, but atleast I've read the manga :D

Battle Vixens (Ikki Tousen)--
Boobs and fighting... what more can a guy ask for in a manga? :lol:

Blade of the Immortal--
Really wounderful art. And the story... such a interesting story. Oh, and sweet weapons.

Chobits--
Like love hina, havn't seen the anime, but read the manga, and I really enjoy it. One of the few Clamp storys that I liked

Evangelion
Excel Saga
FLCL
Full Metal Panic
Fushigi Yugi
Hellsing
Lone Wolf & Cub
Oh My Goddess!
Real Bout High School
Video Girl Ai

thats about all I have seen/read. I know theres some here and there that I missed, but... oh well.

Koshi

QUOTE (L33t 4g3nt @ Apr 28 2005, 03:35 PM)
yea! go go Akamatsu! I think Random House is coming out with volume 3 in June or something...still to far away...grrr [/quote]
Ou? Delray has up to volume 5 already out, I believe. I've at least read up to volume 4, I know. The anime is downloadable via fansub too ^^ Thou I haven't seen it yet.

L33t 4g3nt

QUOTE (Koshi @ Apr 29 2005, 09:35 AM)
Ou? Delray has up to volume 5 already out, I believe. I've at least read up to volume 4, I know. The anime is downloadable via fansub too ^^ Thou I haven't seen it yet. [/quote]
ack...i made a mistake!?!? I meant to say volume 6...somehow i divided by 2... lol

and...

Random House = Ballantine Book = Del Rey

Koshi

QUOTE (L33t 4g3nt @ Apr 29 2005, 11:15 AM)
ack...i made a mistake!?!? I meant to say volume 6...somehow i divided by 2... lol

and...

Random House = Ballantine Book = Del Rey [/quote]
Aaaaahaaaa xD I knew Random House sounded firmilliar xP It's my friends manga, so didn't have it on hand for reference xP Heh, there, we both screwed up minimally.  

kef

Mi now!!!
this is the list of wached anime:
ANIME^

Appleseed ova/Appurushido ova 1
Appleseed Movie/Appurushido Movie 1
Fairy Air Force/Sentou Yousei Yukikaze 1-4
Cowboy Bibop/カウボーイビバップ 1-18
Dominion Tnak Police OVA/Dominion Hanzai Gundan 1-4
New Dominion Tank Police OVA/Tokusou Senshatai Dominion 1-6
Elfen Song/Elfen Lied 1-13
Ghost in the Shell/Kokaku kidotai 1
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence/Kokaku kidotai 2: Inosensu 1
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex/Kokaku Kidotai Stand Alone Complex 1-26
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig/Kokaku Kidotai Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig 1-25
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Tachikoma Specials/Kokaku Kidotai: Stand Alone Complex - Tachikoma na Hibi 1-26
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade/Jinrou 1
My-Hime/Mai-Hime 1-18
Mermaid Forest OVA/Ningyo no Mori 1
Mermaid Forest TV/Ningyo no Mori 1-7,9-11
Mermaid's Scar OVA/Ningyo no Kisu 1
Ninja Scroll Movie/Jubei Ninpucho: Ryuhogyoku-Hen 1
Odin: Photon Sailor Starlight/Odin - Koushi Hansen Starlight 1
She, The Ultimate Weapon/Saishuu Heiki Kanojo 1-13
Samurai Champloo/サムライチャンプルー 1-26
Wonderful Days (Korea) 1
Xenosaga: The Animation/Xenosage 1-8
Rizel-mine

Manga:
+anima
he is my master
FLCL
Love Hina
chobits
tejo tenge
exel saga
X
i don't remember !!   T___T  !!! Gomen-nasai!!

L33t 4g3nt

Hahah...that's alot...But how many "complete" series do you have?

L33t 4g3nt

I wanted to see Appleseed...Is it a good movie?

FabianN

Oh, is it ever good...

If you liked GITS, you need to see Appleseed... so good...

L33t 4g3nt

Ah...Ok...

Gotta get the DVD...

L33t 4g3nt

Anime[/u]
  • Raimuiro Senkitan

Now this anime has been highly debated about, and if you're anime forum fluent, not that well reviewed. I've only finished half of their first season (13 episodes), and I don't know where I am able to acquire the 2nd season, therefore this review will be cut short, until I finish this season.

Overall Synopsis:

* Based on a game by ELF (strangely enough...based on an H-game 0_0...And I'm serious...there are clear situations that hint to its origin...)

It was Meiji 37 or year 1904 (somewhere in the timeline of Sakura Taisen), when The Great Empire of Japan started to increase its national power quickly by the westernization during the Meiji era. On the other part of the world, Czar Russia was going to extend its hegemony to the East and hence started a war against Japan. The war is known as Russo-Japanese war right now. Japanese army with quick series of victories over Russia astounded the world. The war culminated with the fall of Russia's Port Arthur (Lushun in China) to the hand of Japanese army.

The story of this anime starts from when the Japanese army is getting readied to attack Port Arthur by establishing a training camp (called Tendai Genjo Gakuin) for female pilots in Hokkaido. Umakai Shintaro, a former diplomat who was residing in Russia once, is chosen to supervise the training.

Although five girls (Sanada Momen, Honda Sarasa, Katou Asa, Fukushima Kinu, Kuroda Rinzu and Ichijouji Sumi) who are assigned to him overwhelm him, his sense as a teacher brings him to guide these girls to complete their secret mission, although he does not even know what the secret mission is (which is to destroy the mysterious Russian Army at Port Arthur in Lushun).

Synopsis taken from AnimeNfo.Com

Episodes 1 - 8 Analysis

So far, this anime is pretty decent. Yes, I know some of you might say that this anime stinks and is one of the worst, but I can't help it if I am very leinent about judging things, and a sucker for fanservice. The latter, fanservice, is one of the few words that sum up this anime. Fanservice, fanservice, FANSERVICE. Yes, and there is quite a lot. There is the cliche male main character who is always wants to be friends with everyone but then has to deal with all the girls' advances on him. And then of course are the girls, one of who is the clumsy trippin' over and revealing the panties in the main character's face type; there's the loud mouthed "I won't lose to anybody type;" then we have the tomboy "I...I love you...But I...I..." lost for words type; we can't forget the helpless megane type; and finally we have a quiet mysterious type. Ohhh...Great line up...Very unique *note sarcasm*

Ok...Where was I? Up to where I have watched, I have almost forgotten the fact that these girls' mission was to attack some base, right? Many would argue that this anime has a bad storyline, and therefore is horribly bad because of that, am I right? But one must look past the storyline, the storyline does not define anything if the anime was not designed originally for the storyline; in this case it's to attack a Russian port. My idea is that this anime is about character development. From the onset of the anime, these are young girls, still in middle or grade school, fighting in a war, a war that had nothing to do with them. The true emphasis of this story is to portray character development. In the anime, we see them grow, as we see them open their minds and hearts to each other and the main character. The anime portrays this in how the special Raimus, special suits of power that are controlled by the thoughts and actions of the girls (think remote controlled robots), of the girls grow in power in order to defeat the enemies.

This is all I am going to write for now because I want to finish the rest of this season.

laterz for now...
OK! Back for part two!

Episodes 9-13

All I have to say is...Ohmygosh...MORE FANSERVICE! FANSERVICE! FANSERVICE! FANSERVICE! FANSERVICE!!!! Jeez...And at some parts, not just in these episodes, but in the whole series, it continuously hints that this anime was based on an H-game. I don't want to go into the details, but it's mostly about "all the girls want to do it with the main character." Oh, and I almost forgot one more thing...Whenever one of the girls are in need of energy (power to use their Raimus), the guy needs to step in and do "you know what."

Yup...And now for some things that don't involve sleeping with the main character. The girls in the story end up defeating the bad guys and they all live happily ever after...wow. The End.

OOC: ugh...I don't feel like writing now...I've been trying all afternoon to post on NS.

L33t 4g3nt

Does anyone one else have any anime/manga recommendations?