What anime are ya watching?

Started by SleepyD, August 25, 2006, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

sounds.....interesting. was it actually made in 87?
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Yep, January 14 1987. Quite funny, but doesn't really try to make sense.

Chocofreak13

sounds like it. xD (speaking of 1987, currently watching a movie from that year.)

i'm gonna torrent PoyoPoyo Kansatsu Nikki when it becomes available on bakabt. if nothing else, it'll be nice to have all the episodes myself. ^^
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

BakaBT, that site saved my life :D

Chocofreak13

bakabt pisses me off. but they're a necessary evil.
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Midori No Hibi Ep.10
This series is pretty good.

Cyberteam in Akihabara is something I wanna watch too.

SleepyD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 23, 2013, 04:41:12 PM
@sleepy: i'd like to get into mahjong, but the first episode of saki had my head spinning with all the terminology. there's no real transition into the game in that series. of course, there wasn't much introduction to koi koi in Summer Wars, but that one's easier to pick up. Saki isn't with Mahjong what Chihayafuru is with Karuta.
I had no idea how to play mahjong when I started watching Saki either; however, it's not that hard to get the basic concept that:  1) everyone draws a tile from the pool every turn 2) people discard a tile after the draw 3) they declare a win when a winning hand is built.

What a winning hand is and exceptions to the basic rules mentioned above can be easily explained later.

I think Saki did a very good job in keeping the anime entertaining even though I did not know a lick of mahjong other than the fact the relatives of my grandparents' generation often played it (and a different version at that).

It's because of watching Saki that I ended up learning how to play Japanese mahjong. If there's enough interest, I'd be willing to start a learners' thread on the topic.

Chocofreak13

i'm interested, but i think we'll need at least 3 to get a thread going. as for saki, i had to pause and go back to read all the subs, so while the basic concepts are easy to grasp, they don't stick to the basic concepts. only thing i learned from the first episode is that +/- 0 is INSANELY hard to get.

gonna do a few reviews today, will post links later~
click to make it bigger

SleepyD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 25, 2013, 12:11:54 PM
i'm interested, but i think we'll need at least 3 to get a thread going. as for saki, i had to pause and go back to read all the subs, so while the basic concepts are easy to grasp, they don't stick to the basic concepts. only thing i learned from the first episode is that +/- 0 is INSANELY hard to get.

gonna do a few reviews today, will post links later~
All the vocabulary stuff I think can best be ignored for now. Some subbers were very liberal with their use of translation notes and it got very confusing. Other subbers used chinese or english names for the hands instead of the japanese names, which also got confusing.

Most of the words are
a) declared actions a player makes: "pon/chi/kan/riichi/ron/tsumo"
b) a state a player's hand is in: "furiten/iishanten/tenpai"
or c) names of specific hands/tile combinations one can have that is worth some number of points.
There are a great many names in "(c)", and if you just liken them to poker hands, you can get through them fairly easily. You can learn the details of these hands later through increased exposure.

And yes intentionally getting +/-0 OR ANY specific weighted score at the end of a match is insanely difficult to do consistently. Near impossible, in fact. A lot of the things they do are near-impossible, which is part of the appeal of Saki. :3

Nichi

So, Saki is to Mahjong as the Yu-Gi-Oh anime is to a children's card game the actual Yu-Gi-Oh card game? Nice -w-

SleepyD

Quote from: PentiumMMX on March 25, 2013, 01:02:52 PM
So, Saki is to Mahjong as the Yu-Gi-Oh anime is to a children's card game the actual Yu-Gi-Oh card game? Nice -w-
haha, essentially yes. Only, there are more than one mahjong anime. And the other two I've seen are just as entertaining. Although only saki has the moe/yuri stuff. heh :3

Chocofreak13

what other mahjong series are there? :0

btw guys, does Jem count as an Anime? it was animated in Japan, after all.....

if so, ep 1-5 of S1 of Jem.
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Looking at screenshots, I wouldn't say it's anime.

Finished Rockman: Wish Upon a Star. It was pretty good, and the soundtrack is awesome too~
Midori Days Ep.11.
NGE English Dub Ep.17.

EDIT 3/27
Completed Midori No Hibi. It was awesome ^z^

EDIT 3/29
Watched The End of Evangelion (FINALLY *phew*).
Spoiler: ShowHide
Shinji is so fucked up

Chocofreak13

isn't he? >>;;

finished season 1 of Jem last night. gonna try to finish ben-to and write some reviews for tomorrow to coincide with the release of Ace's High.

EDIT: reviews are up, go like the Facebook Page Studio Cha-ko to see them. =w=

also watched tonight's episodes of Naruto and Soul Eater.
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

ikki tousen... which has my two favorite things in the world: girls in seifukus and Fighting Goddesses