Translation Thread

Started by NewYinzer, August 06, 2006, 08:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Okay, thank you NewYinzer!  ^v^

But be careful what you post... don't want to have this site targeted by vengeful purists....  ^^;

NewYinzer

QuoteBut be careful what you post... don't want to have this site targeted by vengeful purists.... ^^;

I know what you mean. Editing is worse on Uncyc, though. People there are 3VIL! Thank God I've always got my AK47 in case things get ugly!

C-Chan

Touché.  ^.^

Thanks again, I just went and saw your handiwork.
Or should I say "clean-up".  ^__^

NewYinzer

Thanks again, I just went and saw your handiwork.
Or should I say "clean-up". ^__^

*blushes*

PH33R M3H L33T SKILLZ!

*regains composure*

Well, let's get back to some translations!

Darknight_88

Do I see less links in the Wikipedia OS-tan article?
>.>

LOL @ Uncyclopedia entry:

QuoteTheir Version of Al Jazeera

NewYinzer

QuoteDo I see less links in the Wikipedia OS-tan article?

Yes. I deleted some of the useless ones, because the moderators hate making Wikipedia a link library. However, I have kept ours.

*regains composure*

Did I just say what I thought I said?

*burns tapes*

rdhdtwns

I can't see the picture you posted, New Yinzer. o.O;

okay yes I can. And ouch. Thats.. ._.;; above my level .-.

rdhdtwns added the following  27 minutes after last message :

Ok, while I was sitting here debating on that other one, we did another one in the meantime. I really love these Christmas ones for some reason, they're so cute ^o^

[attachment deleted by admin]
So cute it\'s deadly!

C-Chan

HAH!! See Codi-san?  Told you you were a reliable translator.  ^___^

[Christmas File Tree had me ROTFLing.  ^.^]

rdhdtwns

Thanks C-chan. ^o^ We really love the tree too XD Maybe we should make our tree look like that. o.o
I like the other one better though, heh. It's just funny. XD

O.

K.

XD

After some time, we uhm.. attempted.

対策 (taisaku) is "counter-measure", but since noone calls it "spyware counter-measure" overhere, we just changed it to "blocker" for simplicity's sake.

I think what this comic is saying is that 98's been eating a lot lately and not getting much sleep, so I think she's flashing-back to downloading ad-aware, and her and SE-tan have some fun with it. So when 95-sama says, "98s been eating a lot lately ne~" 98 and SE, in true ad-aware style, detect a threat to the system ^_~

[attachment deleted by admin]
So cute it\'s deadly!

C-Chan

*shock*  Egads!  She's fast!!  @o@

By the time I've covered grammar, I bet Codi-san will be working for TokyoPop by then!  ^^;

Phenomenal work, but then could we expect anything else from the great Codi-sama?!  ^V^

C-Chan added the following  2 minutes after last message :

BTW, your explanation for the joke seems spot on, since I was ROTFLing after I read it.  ^__^
Could certainly relate being an avid Ad-Aware user as well.  ^v^

Plus the obvious bias that 98SE-tan has for Ad-Aware.... SE,... is clearer now.  ^.^

rdhdtwns

QuoteQuote from : C-Chan

*shock*  Egads!  She's fast!!  @o@

By the time I've covered grammar, I bet Codi-san will be working for TokyoPop by then!  ^^;

Phenomenal work, but then could we expect anything else from the great Codi-sama?!  ^V^

C-Chan added the following  2 minutes after last message :

BTW, your explanation for the joke seems spot on, since I was ROTFLing after I read it.  ^__^
Could certainly relate being an avid Ad-Aware user as well.  ^v^

Plus the obvious bias that 98SE-tan has for Ad-Aware.... SE,... is clearer now.  ^.^

Hahaha, no way ^^;; I'm not great at all x.x;;

One thing we're really good with is looking up kanji, hee. As for actual grammar and things, I'm horrible with it. But most of the time you can gather what's going on from the context of the comic strip and just knowing what most of the particles "de, ni, wo", etc. mean. (in our case, it also helps to know the OS-tans and their world.)
Also, Japanese has so many set expressions, when you start to memorize them, life becomes a bit easier, hee.

....and if one noticed we're translating fairly simple ones XD I like that particular series because it's easy to edit and has fairly simple dialogue.

Honestly C-chan, Spyware Blaster 98 is SO CUTE XD
So cute it\'s deadly!

NewYinzer

Great job Codi! Excellent translation! I've decided that my job here will be to post new things to be translated, at which point someone can translate them if they want to. For example:

Pitkin

I believe I'll be able to translate that one, NewYinzer-san. It seems to be very easy; I'll post my attempt by tomorrow (Finnish local time). However, I must warn that I'm not really a translator. ^^;

##edit: Shucks, I was a bit hasty, promising the translation. Unfortunately, the very last kanji (bottom left panel) doesn't ring bells of any kind, and I cannot really tell it from the context.

http://www.otakubell.com/os-girls/Gallery/galleries/Japanese/tw-XP_98s_multitasking-jp.png

The dialogue (and sound effects) are something like as follows (mistakes can occur)

1st frame (top-right):
98: "XP-chan's memory sure is great."
SE: "Really?!"

2nd frame (below the first one):
SE: "How is the memory so great?"
98: "It's possible to simultaneously perform so many different actions!" (multitask, this line is very clumsy as it is)

3rd frame:
SFX: "chuu, chuu" -> sound of the puppies sucking, how does one make these sounds in English?

4th frame:
SFX: "waku-waku" -> "sound" of SE-tan and 98-tan being excited or impressed; maybe it could be translated into "wow" or "whoa, there she is" or such?

5th frame (top-left):
98: "Oh, you dropped something!"

6th frame:
From left to right, the objects the girls are holding: "XP-only (or XP-exclusive) software", "minimum requirement 1Gb memory" (maybe the memory could be called just RAM)

7th frame, wind blowing.

8th frame:
XP: "How about we all ?????? tonight?" (there's verb 'to do' in the phrase, but unfortunately I cannot tell what she's talking about doing; 'to do' is used in countless contexts in Japanese)
98&SE: "Yaaay!"

If anyone's able to figure out the mysterious kanji with 'kin' radical on the left, or otherwise improve my rather clumsy translation, it'd be great. ^^;;

NewYinzer

Wow! Great job (despite the rough spots)! Let's see what Codi has to say and we can work out the rough spots!

(BTW, what does DESU mean?)

rdhdtwns

Yeah ^o^v Go Pitkin!

We think..
お鍋 = o-nabe (o being the honorific for nouns) = nabe, being "pot", but onabe being a potluck dinner. That is to say, they all share the food, or in the OS-tan's case, "memory" tonight. Since 98 and SE wouldn't be able to handle that kinda stuff, obviously. XD

So you were right about the kin radical, as pots are made out of copper most of the time ^^

So.. "Tonight let's all share (dinner)" .. kinda.. in a really loose way, since its a double entendre.
So cute it\'s deadly!