うぶんちゅ! Ubunchu

Started by bhl88, April 18, 2019, 02:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhl88

TV Tropes:
Ubunchu! is a Manga written by Hiroshi Seo about a bunch of students starting and using Ubuntu. Six chapters (1-5 and 7) have been released and translated.

It features three (and only) members of the Computer Admin Club:

Akane: The club's president and a hard-core Linux geek who prefers using the command line interface. She's actually skeptical in using Ubuntu because she thinks that Ubuntu is just for watching YouTube. She probably uses Apache for the club's web server.
    Masato: The club's vice president and a Windows user. He is also skeptical in using Linux because he can't play his eroge Visual Novel stuff on non-Windows computers. Also an Otaku.
    Risa: A Mac user who wants to try out the Ubuntu LiveCD for their club's new computer. She really seems to be a Genki Girl...

It is under a Creative Commons-By Attribution-Non Commercial license, that means, it can be distributed freely, as long as it is not used for commercial purposes and it is attributed by its author. The manga can be downloaded here, complete with translations and left-to-right and right-to-left versions.

Goujer (she/her)

Why is this here?
There isn't even a download.

Goujer (she/her)

You haven't had much experience with the way back machine I assume.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130929184707/http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/c.html

bhl88

I rarely go retrieve websites (but I didn't think I could retrieve files)

Goujer (she/her)

Anything hosted online can be archived.

Chocofreak13

i had a hard copy of some of this once upon a time. found it at my first Anime Boston, of all places, and i had another OSCer with me at that con! it was amazing. didn't realize it was actually from Japan, unless the bits i got were a US spinoff or something. i actually thought someone from here made it! :0
click to make it bigger

Ghost Member

In mangakalot there's 14 chapters.

The Computer Otakou

Yeah I didn't even Yeah I didn't even know Ubuntu had a Manga.know Ubuntu had a Manga.

Yukinu

Hey an Ubunchu thread! I love this manga, and I actually did the cleaning and typesetting for the english translation of chapter 14. All of the currently translated english chapters are available at my blog, and I have some more info to share about the translation efforts:

• From my research, in total there are 15 chapters and 3 short specials.
  • The first 14 chapters have been translated into english and typesetted.
    • Chapters 1-7 were translated into various languages in late 2000s, early 2010s. A lot of the translation effort was done at this google group. The translated chapters were accumulated at Martin Owen's blog
    • Chapters 9-11 were translated into english and typesetted by Tarek Saier. The translations and typsetted chapters were available at Tarek's Gitlab page.
    • Chapters 12-14 were also translated into english by Tarek Saier, but were not typeset. An effort to typeset the remaining chapters was stared on this Lainchan thread, and myself Publicdesert did the typsetting work. Publicdesert typesetted chapters 12 and 13, I did chapter 14.
    • Chapter 15 and the 3 specials are currently not translated into english. Links to the untranslated material is available at Tarek's Gitlab page

And that's about all the info I have. If anyone is interested in more Ubunchu and knows Japanese, there is still more Ubunchu that needs to be translated

Hālian He/him

Quote from: Yukinu on September 09, 2023, 08:30:35 PMHey an Ubunchu thread! I love this manga, and I actually did the cleaning and typesetting for the english translation of chapter 14. All of the currently translated english chapters are available at my blog, and I have some more info to share about the translation efforts:

(snip)
One of us. One of us. One of us. :D

Also, I'm curious why the translations aren't all gathered in one place.

Ghost Member

Quote from: Yukinu on September 09, 2023, 08:30:35 PMAnd that's about all the info I have. If anyone is interested in more Ubunchu and knows Japanese, there is still more Ubunchu that needs to be translated
Thanks for your hard works without translators people in this forums, some linux community or other anime forum don't know. The most saddest thing is lack of other Linux distro manga.

Nanami Madobe Fan

Quote from: Ghost Member on November 29, 2023, 02:56:57 AMThanks for your hard works without translators people in this forums, some linux community or other anime forum don't know. The most saddest thing is lack of other Linux distro manga.

I feel there need to be more Linux Distro Manga.