April 24, 2019, 08:55:55 pm

The Windows 95 Dilemma

Started by VolareVia, April 06, 2019, 04:48:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VolareVia

I'll preface the topic with this disclaimer and TL;DR:

This is not for replacing 95-tan's Futaba design. This is purely for potentially creating a design that is more friendly to western interpretations, or at least try to mesh them in the most productive way. You absolutely do not have to use her or my ideas about her in your own stories if you do not wish to.

I love Windows 95. I love mid-90s OSes and tend to focus a lot on them. However, it has come to my attention within the Discord that a lot of my ideas for a 95-tan don't mesh well with the design from Futaba. It's a problem that I must tackle before going forward with my further ideas.

I have three ideas for a 95-tan:
  • Reconciliation: This is where I try and make it work. I doubt the ability of this to work. I have quietly tried it to little success, and the best way for me to is to do the second option and leave her original design as a sort of Sailor Moon-type outfit in the context of my stories. It's not in the poll because it's functionally the same as the next option.
  • Amalgamation: This is where I use the basic outline of the character's design and change up her clothes a bit. It requires the least work, but it could still be mistaken for the original, and it might have the same drawbacks as reconciliation, but the chances are even lower, as she is recognized as her own entity. This is also how I think the 95 OSRs were designed, so there is a precedent.
  • Start Over: This is where I throw out most, if not all, already existing ideas for designing 95, and instead start from scratch. This will be the hardest to do from both an artistic and a community perspective. The former is obvious, but with the latter, it could wind up being the western equivalent to the Deja Vu scandal if there's enough backlash from outside of here, or if most of the site is so against the idea of the Amalgamation that this wins.

What I will absolutely not do is simply ignore my ideas. I cannot do that, as the ideas are so ingrained into me as Windows 95, it'd be only a detriment to my works.

The need for something here is strong, but I'm at a crossroads, and I think I need some sort of consensus before I move forward.

Goujer

April 06, 2019, 06:22:20 pm #1 Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:27:24 pm by Goujer
Clearly as a seperate character from the futaba 95-tan it would best to keep it separate from 95-tan wiki wise.

I would also look at this, esspecially as you are looking for a western approach look at this like the USA-tans. You don't have to look at them as a seperate character to 95-tan or like the comedic stereotype that the USA-tans are. But look at it as a seperate independent idea. I don't follow the Discord discussion because I don't care too much. But those are my two cents on it.

VolareVia

Quote from: Goujer on April 06, 2019, 06:22:20 pmClearly as a seperate character from the futaba 95-tan it would best to keep it separate from 95-tan wiki wise.

Without a doubt. Can't have my non-canon stuff muddying up the canon info. That is even exactly what I don't want.

Quote from: Goujer on April 06, 2019, 06:22:20 pmI would also look at this, esspecially as you are looking for a western approach look at this like the USA-tans. You don't have to look at them as a seperate character to 95-tan or like the comedic stereotype that the USA-tans are. But look at it as a seperate independent idea.

Actually, I very seriously considered this, as in a semi-separate thing from OS-tans, and even intended on posting the concept across here and the Discord. The exact reason for creating it was this very same dilemma in the first place. Then I got distracted by all the neat things Annex has. I found it easier to go along with it than to start anew and have no one wish to help because it's an alien concept.

When I say "western" I meant that my ideas would actually play nice with my ideas which came about from me being from the US, rather than have to consider the fact that 95-tan is literally meant to be, at least at first, the ideal Japanese woman. I mean, Annex is western, and while it has a definite anime influence, it is still fundamentally western. I guess I want it to be similar to the Annex-created OS-tans. There is a precedent for this with Mac OS 8-tan, although the Futaba design wasn't as well-spread, there was a similar problem: the design wasn't conducive for character-building, or at least the direction that was desired. Although in Mac OS 8's case, it was because the Futaba design was a literal baby, and that 95-tan has a great design, but not good for the direction I want to head.

Again, I'm definitely not looking to replace her, but rather to have her reflect my understanding of Windows 95 in the best possible way, and I have no real choice but to make her separate at this point.

Goujer

Go for it, follow your dreams man.

Penti-chan

I think making a new design would make the most sense here; giving you more room to make your own 95 :3

VolareVia

Yes, but what route should I go when making the design?

Penti-chan

When I wrote that post, I was initially thinking "start from scratch", but now that I've had some time to get some kind of sleep, I think an amalgamation would work best for your intent.

VolareVia

I have decided that, in light of new information, that a new 95-tan is redundant. In at least a few interpretations from Futaba, 95-tan is interpreted as being a Japanese-American who went back to Japan.

Quote from: undefinedOSの経緯から、シアトル生まれの帰国子女であるとも言われている。
The quote above roughly translates to "95-tan can be interpreted to be a Japanese-American from Seattle who moved back to Japan based on the fact that Microsoft is based in the Seattle area.

Not literally, of course, but that's the jist of it.

This means that a lot of my headcanons about 95-tan shouldn't be invalidated because of her design. They, instead, need better reasons to be invalidated, such as "she is from Seattle, not Chicago". :P