Concepts for New and Split Annex Factions

Started by VolareVia, March 28, 2019, 03:21:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: VolareVia on April 10, 2019, 07:51:12 amDefinitely. Now I kinda wonder if some FSF-types like to wreck the place.

They'd probably have a security system just for that!

Quote from: undefinedProbably should have a Novell faction that existed, but likely merged into the LUC at some point. I'd honestly imagine that the Unix Wars had many factions that merged into one, and that the Linux-tans, while belonging to different subfactions, are united in a union.

There should be! The merger would've happened after DR-DOS-tan and GEM-tan were moved from Novell to Caldera. The Linux/Unix Consortium was confirmed to be established after the Unix Wars. Many Unix-tans defected during the war, and at least two died (Xenix and Spring OS), so the remaining members would've had to band together if they wanted to recover from the aftermath of the war.

Quote from: undefinedHonestly, what factions would FreeGEM and OpenGEM be in? I'd personally assume the Vintage Federation, if only because FreeDOS-tan is in the DOSSE.

I see FreeGEM-tan and OpenGEM-tan being the same person as GEM-tan, who is in the Vintage Federation.

Quote from: undefinedSo if there's one thing Classic Mac-tans generally weren't good at, it was diplomacy. I guess this likely means that Mac OS9-tan likely can't lead that proposed unification of semi-retired OS-tans or if she is, she's probably the best diplomat of the bunch. I'd say the latter is most likely regardless, given the great compatibility from 7.5 onwards.

It's possible that she could be the leader, if they improved their diplomacy skills over time. The Mac-tans, with the Classic Mac-tans more so, visit the Vintage Federation quite a bit because of Apple II, Lisa and GS/OS, and could've reconciled with some of their former rivals who are there; i.e: Windows 1.0, 2.0 and GEM. System 1-tan saw Lisa-tan as a rival for a long time though, and only put up with her because of Apple II.

Quote from: undefinedAh! Thank you for giving more details on the relationship. It also makes more sense, given that we've established that incompatibility keeps older versions useful, so the Mac-tans don't see it as a bad thing.

Definitely! I found a few more examples of this among the Macs. If you look at the version numbers of the pre-System 6 Mac OSes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Mac_OS#Release_history , it's very weird, but there were reasons for this strange version numbering.

System 4.2/System Software 5 stands out for the confusion over there being no Macintosh System 5, but the two others that stand out a lot are System 3.3/AppleShare 1.x and 3.4/AppleShare 2.0. These two Classic Mac versions were the first specialized for networking, and were workstation OSes that extended the capabilities of System 3.

Though System 3-tan only represents System 3.0 - 3.3, System 3.3 was released the same day as 4.0 (https://apple.fandom.com/wiki/System_3.3 ), so System 3.x didn't immediately become obsolete when System 4 was released. System 3.4 didn't become obsolete until AppleShare 3 was released in 1992.

There's also the last versions of Mac OS 9 being released after 10.0, since Mac OS 9 was more stable than 10.0 and 10.1. There were also third party applications to give older versions features of the newer ones. IIRC, there was a third party extension that allowed System 6 to use virtual memory when System 7 was the first to actually have it, and there was an extension that allowed Mac OS 7.6 to have the Platinum look that was introduced with Mac OS 8.

Quote from: undefinedI definitely agree that the Mac-tans would have agreed to the peace talks. I just wondered how they felt about the FSF in the present day. :)

But yeah, as for System 6 and System 7, they likely might not care about them in the present day, as as far as they're concerned, the war is over, as the increasing power of the Mac-tans scares them away.

I agree with that! It sound right to me.

Quote from: undefinedIndeed. Her status as one of the more important people in the peace talks likely is seen by the modern FSF as "hmm. old disgraced leader. definitely someone worth attacking"

Poor System 7.5-tan. She can never catch a break!

Quote from: undefinedI'd imagine that other factions have been on their hitlist. The ASC likely house an "absolute traitor to freedom" in QNX, and what stops them from going after the Vintage Federation is FreeDOS in the DOSSE.

I'm curious about QNX-tan being seen as an "absolute traitor to freedom" to the FSF. I vaguely remember something about QNX having a hobbyist license at some point, but that it might have been revoked? Or could it be because of QNX being bought by Blackberry?

FreeDOS-tan in the DOSSE and GEM-tan (as FreeGEM and OpenGEM) in the Vintage Federation. Yggdrasil Linux-tan is also in the Vintage Federation, but would she be considered free enough?

VolareVia

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 16, 2019, 07:59:51 pmI see FreeGEM-tan and OpenGEM-tan being the same person as GEM-tan, who is in the Vintage Federation.

Makes enough sense, honestly. I assumed they could be seperate, but I could see them being the same.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 16, 2019, 07:59:51 pmIt's possible that she could be the leader, if they improved their diplomacy skills over time. The Mac-tans, with the Classic Mac-tans more so, visit the Vintage Federation quite a bit because of Apple II, Lisa and GS/OS, and could've reconciled with some of their former rivals who are there; i.e: Windows 1.0, 2.0 and GEM. System 1-tan saw Lisa-tan as a rival for a long time though, and only put up with her because of Apple II.

The Classics could very easily have taken examples from their younger kin, and became more diplomatic. Character development is always good, after all. :)

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 16, 2019, 07:59:51 pmDefinitely! I found a few more examples of this among the Macs. If you look at the version numbers of the pre-System 6 Mac OSes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Mac_OS#Release_history , it's very weird, but there were reasons for this strange version numbering.

System 4.2/System Software 5 stands out for the confusion over there being no Macintosh System 5, but the two others that stand out a lot are System 3.3/AppleShare 1.x and 3.4/AppleShare 2.0. These two Classic Mac versions were the first specialized for networking, and were workstation OSes that extended the capabilities of System 3.

Interesting :o
I honestly wonder what networking is like. I personally envision it as being different dimensions, with the Internet being a particularly powerful dimension.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 16, 2019, 07:59:51 pmThough System 3-tan only represents System 3.0 - 3.3, System 3.3 was released the same day as 4.0 (https://apple.fandom.com/wiki/System_3.3 ), so System 3.x didn't immediately become obsolete when System 4 was released. System 3.4 didn't become obsolete until AppleShare 3 was released in 1992.

With this in mind, I wonder if System 6 and System 3.4 aren't twins, but rather first cousins born at around the same time.

Also, I know the last few versions of System 6 were released on the day of System 7's release, or even later.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 16, 2019, 07:59:51 pmPoor System 7.5-tan. She can never catch a break!

hehe

I recall hearing something about "making your faves suffer" being good writing. Her situation naturally causes suffering. :P
And thus, she suffers.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 16, 2019, 07:59:51 pmI'm curious about QNX-tan being seen as an "absolute traitor to freedom" to the FSF. I vaguely remember something about QNX having a hobbyist license at some point, but that it might have been revoked? Or could it be because of QNX being bought by Blackberry?

I think if I recall she was open source until QNX was bought out by Blackberry, so now she's proprietary besides licenses.

The FSF are extremists who don't think hobbyist licenses are acceptable, and think that everything should be libre under all circumstances, and that OS-tans who don't do this are morally bankrupt.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 16, 2019, 07:59:51 pmFreeDOS-tan in the DOSSE and GEM-tan (as FreeGEM and OpenGEM) in the Vintage Federation. Yggdrasil Linux-tan is also in the Vintage Federation, but would she be considered free enough?

Actually? Yes. Yggdrasil Linux had its final release before there were blobs in the Linux kernel, which means the FSF find her libre enough.

There probably are enough good and libre OS-tans in the Vintage Federation for an attack on them to not be seen as worth it.

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: VolareVia on April 16, 2019, 09:18:34 pmMakes enough sense, honestly. I assumed they could be seperate, but I could see them being the same.

It was simpler to keep them the same character, but it also gives GEM-tan a happier turn of events with her becoming open sourced and being able to improve herself without the fear of being punished anymore. After many years, she found freedom!

Quote from: undefinedThe Classics could very easily have taken examples from their younger kin, and became more diplomatic. Character development is always good, after all. :)

Indeed! Yay for character development! Tiger-tan would've been a great role model in particular because she introduced Bootcamp, and was the first OSX version for Apple's successful Intel Mac project.

Quote from: undefinedInteresting :o
I honestly wonder what networking is like. I personally envision it as being different dimensions, with the Internet being a particularly powerful dimension.

That sounds cool! I thought of it was telepathically linking to share information and share powers! That could help explain how System 3.4-tan survived as a wanderer for so long other than she somehow cheated death many times. She's physically weak, and can barely fight on her own, but could specialize in psychic abilities and coordinated attacks.

Quote from: undefinedWith this in mind, I wonder if System 6 and System 3.4 aren't twins, but rather first cousins born at around the same time.

Also, I know the last few versions of System 6 were released on the day of System 7's release, or even later.

I see them as twins because of the same Finder version, and being released at almost the same time. 3.4-tan's the older twin if we go by that. I still can't find for certain whether 6.0.8 was released in April 1991 or May 1991, but there was a version that was released in 1992.

Quote from: undefinedhehe

I recall hearing something about "making your faves suffer" being good writing. Her situation naturally causes suffering. :P
And thus, she suffers.

System 7.5 has a troubled history so there's a justification!

Quote from: undefinedI think if I recall she was open source until QNX was bought out by Blackberry, so now she's proprietary besides licenses.

The FSF are extremists who don't think hobbyist licenses are acceptable, and think that everything should be libre under all circumstances, and that OS-tans who don't do this are morally bankrupt.

I thought QNX was open sourced at some point, until it was bought out by Blackberry, but that makes perfect sense that the FSF would see her as a traitor.

Quote from: undefinedActually? Yes. Yggdrasil Linux had its final release before there were blobs in the Linux kernel, which means the FSF find her libre enough.

There probably are enough good and libre OS-tans in the Vintage Federation for an attack on them to not be seen as worth it.

Yggdrasil Linux was one of the earliest Linux distributions to get discontinued, which was unfortunate, but the timing saved her from being seen as an enemy to the FSF.

So, as far as the FSF is concerned, OSes that are libre enough are better off getting discontinued before being developed long enough to no longer be libre?

Since the idea of a historical Novell Faction was brought up, it could've existed, but when it would've disbanded is unclear. I assumed it would have when SUSE Linux-tan joined the Linux/Unix Consortium, but since she's one of the oldest Linux-tans, she would've been from the original Linux Union that merged into the LUC when that merger happened, which was probably in the late 1990's or early 2000's. Novell acquired SUSE in 2003, which is late for this timeframe.

If the Novell Faction existed, NetWare-tan was its founder. She was the only member until she sought recruits to diversify Novell's power and to compete against Microsoft, so the OSes from Digital Research were recruited in 1991 (DR-DOS, GEM, FlexOS), UnixWare was recruited in 1993. She also recruited several programs from buying out their companies, but most of them were dismissed from the faction between 1994 and 1996, which left it on the verge of collapse. She met SUSE Linux-tan later after this time and they allied with each other in 2003, but it's unclear if NetWare-tan had a faction left of her own to recruit anyone into. Their alliance was an unpopular one that made them both enemies of the FSF.