How rapid the development of LOVE LIVE! is in your location?

Started by sks963, August 09, 2014, 01:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sks963

LOVE LIVE!may be the most popular anime in Asia today. However,it won the throne of Janpanese anime in China in just two months,even became a kind of religious of some ACG fans in a way.(look the picture)

Therefore i want to know how rapid the development of LOVE LIVE! is in other Continents.
I cant define that im strong life ,but my lifeblood is certainly hard.

CaptBrenden

Well, its popularity there rather suprizes me because I've never heard of it here. I'm in Seattle and we are one of the two major ports in the US that goods come in from China and Japan. That being said however   I'm not as in touch with anime as I used to be and I never really did follow any of the moe-blob kinds.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

NejinOniwa

Idk, there may well be a pretty big genre divide between the moeblobs and the idolshit these days...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

it is not and has not been prevalent here in the states. i keep up slightly with the anime community and the hot topic for the past year has been Attack on Titan. Idol series RARELY catch on in this country.
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

the only anime that's really popular here in the uk are shounen and ghibli films
don't know how brits would feel about kawaii aidoru school girls

Exa

Unfortunately, anime culture here in Hungary is kind of in a decline here nowadays, with the loss of our anime channel and not much to replace it (the channel which got in its slot is a rather lackluster mishmash of programmes from several other channels). Even when had the channel, it relied most on shounen shows, epsecially in its later periods.

On the other hand, I don't quite understand the appeal of idol-themed shows. Sure, the girls are cute and I guess the music can be catchy for people who like the genre (I am not one of those people, though), but there are several franchises in that style (Idolmaster, Love Live, Aikatsu and probably some more I am not even aware), but one of them feels like the other in a way, with the samey kinda characters over and over again. Of course that's only my own personal opinion.

Chocofreak13

@exa: wow, i had no idea you were from Hungary! :0
must kinda suck as an anime fan, though, since the pickings are slimmer than they are here (and they're already pretty slim here). ;^;

i sort of agree with your point about the idol shows; that's some peoples' thing, but not mine. if i ever got into an idol show it'd likely be Creamy Mami, which i have yet to watch but kinda want to. of course, that's mostly the vintage appeal there.

Idol Type Series of the Past 30 Years

Macross (12 Series/Movies; 1982 - 2011)
Creamy Mami (1983)
Glass Mask (sort of; 1984, 1998)
To-y (male idol; 1987)
Be-Boy Kidnapp'n Idol (male idol; 1989)
Zetsuai 1989 (male idol; 1992)
Idol Project (1995)
Kodocha (1996)
Boys Before Flowers (1997)
I''s (idol-ish; in various forms 1997-2006)
Fancy Lala (1998)
Cyber Idol Mink (manga, 00's)
Full Moon wo Sagashite (2002)
Interstella 5555 - The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem (Daft Punk got an anime....?; 2003)
Lovely Idol (2006)
Kirarin Revolution (2006)
Lemon Angel Project (2006)
Skip Beat! (2008)
White Album (2009)
Hime Chen! Otogi Chikku Idol Lilpri (2010)
iDOLM@STER/The iDOLM@STER (2011)
AKB0048 (2012 - 2013)
Wanna be the Strongest in the World (2013)
Love Live! School Idol Project (2011; 2013)
Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Live (2013)
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Magical Star Kanon 100% (2013)
No-Rin (2014)
Soni-Ani: Super Sonico The Animation (2014)
Wake Up, Girls (2014)
Go! Go! 575 (2014)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Kari: I vaguely remember seeing ads for Toonami airing Interstella 5555 as part of the Midnight Run block ages ago -w-;

Also, TBH I only know Love Live because of occasionally seeing fanart for it posted by a yuri blog I follow on Tumblr :\

Chocofreak13

Interstella was a movie, so it makes sense that it may have been aired.

as for Love Live, i only know about it because of fans like [insert osc person here] and hearing about the anime on one of the charts a few years ago.
click to make it bigger

Exa

@Chocofreak: Amusingly, out of your list of idol-related anime, Kirarin Revolution (partly) did show up on our former anime channel... rerun several times. I did watch a few episodes from it, but I found it kinda cheesy. I am not the targeted demography, after all. I admit I found one of the openings pretty catchy, heh~

Chocofreak13

haha, really? it looked pretty niche, i'm surprised it flew. i'd expect Macross more of the channel you described.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on September 13, 2014, 10:39:03 AM
@exa: wow, i had no idea you were from Hungary! :0

Me either!

TBH Hungary is one of a few places in Europe I know next to nothing about.

I vaguely know what Hungarian cuisine is like because I went to a Hungarian restaurant with some family-friends when we visited NYC together. I thought the Hungarians and Finns shared common ancestry because their languages are related, but I recently found out that isn't the case...

CaptBrenden

Macross was more of a mecha show with an idol subplot.  I wouldn't really put it in with idol shows in general.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Exa

@Chocofreak: I assume they tried to get the younger female audience with it or something... which is a rather odd decision for a channel which was running during the evening and midnight hours (as the channel's timeslot was after the programmes of another, kid-friendly channel ended at 20:00). Or they just tried to spice up the layout somehow. As for Macross... as CaptBrenden said, it has higher emphasis on being a mecha show, and mecha was one of the genres the channel kinda lacked.

SleepyD

Quote from: sks963 on August 09, 2014, 01:29:11 PM
LOVE LIVE!may be the most popular anime in Asia today. However,it won the throne of Janpanese anime in China in just two months,even became a kind of religious of some ACG fans in a way.(look the picture)

Therefore i want to know how rapid the development of LOVE LIVE! is in other Continents.
hm didn't really see this thread. There is a sizable number of people who do like LL here in California, a fairly large number of LL cosplayers this past AX as well. I have a friend who even organized birthday parties for some of the characters up in the Bay Area. haha

So yeah, it really depends on the groups but I'd still say it's a niche thing here, but a pretty popular niche.