2k-tan piccy

Started by SleepyD, June 24, 2006, 03:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyD

welp, still a work-in-progress, but hey, since I joined, why not draw my fave os-tan? ^^

Edit: Updated the pic. Any comments, critiques will be accepted, although, keep in mind, I'm still working on it. ^^

For those of you wondering why you don't see anything, go and log in.  I have it as an attachment. ^^

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pitkin

Aww, love the expression. She looks so soft. ^_^

*slowly walks to a corner and sits down, sulking about not being able to draw himself*

Looking good! :D

C-Chan

Hello fellow newcomer,

Love the progress on your 2K-Tan pic -- your lines are exceptionally crisp.  Did you ink on a vector graphics program like Illustrator or did you draw her entirely from Photoshop?

SleepyD

Quote from: "Pitkin"Aww, love the expression. She looks so soft. ^_^

*slowly walks to a corner and sits down, sulking about not being able to draw himself*

Looking good! :D

Thank you thank you.

Don't be so down. If you really want to draw, you should just start drawing! ^^

Quote from: "C-Chan"Hello fellow newcomer,

Love the progress on your 2K-Tan pic -- your lines are exceptionally crisp.  Did you ink on a vector graphics program like Illustrator or did you draw her entirely from Photoshop?

Thanks!
I scanned in a pencil drawing and inked it on Photoshop.  Good gawd it took forever.  Especially when I found mistakes in proportions and tried to make it less noticeable.

You don't happen to have any tips for a person that is still learning how to use this thing do ya?

C-Chan

Quote from: "SleepyD"
Thanks!
I scanned in a pencil drawing and inked it on Photoshop.  Good gawd it took forever.  Especially when I found mistakes in proportions and tried to make it less noticeable.

You don't happen to have any tips for a person that is still learning how to use this thing do ya?

In that case, I have to compliment you on your steady hand.  I suffer from an unsteady hand, massive time constraints and chronic penny-penching, so I've had to abandon pencil drawing in favor of a computer alternative.  It's faster all around, but it's obviously more practical to draw by hand whenever inspiration hits you.  ^_^

I used to draw a lot many years ago, but only recently have I done it in the Anime style and with the use of so much software.  In other words, I'm not sure if I'm really entitled to tip anyone about anything.  / _ \

But I can offer a few observations if you'd really like.  For one thing, if it's taking a long time now, that's a good thing.  "No pain, no gain" is very common among athletes and besides it is still good practice.  Naturally, the more you practice something, the more natural and systematic your talent becomes regardless of the approach.

From a production standpoint, however, I admit that's a little on the BS side since what matters are set results produced by set time, with little to no tolerance for "practice".  If that applies to your or you would prefer not to spend so many waking hours drawing (no matter how much you may love it), then yeah there might be some resources to exploit to help boost productivity.

If by 'this thing' you mean Photoshop, then I might have to ask which version you're using and what tools you're employing to ink and color.  (e.g., paintbrush/pencil vs vector pen tool, paint bucket vs stroke & fills, image masks, layers, etc.)

Please also let me know which version of Windows you're using, as I might recommend another program for faster inking and line editing.

Darknight_88

uuhhh, ahhh...looks nice  ;010

But can I have a full pose pic? I'm not an expert [yet xD], but there's something about her torso and bossom (bewbs...) that's bugging me. I'll try to redline it so you can be able to correct it before doing more details (As soon as I get back my comp/as soon as I install Photoshop in this 128MB RAM comp -_-' )

Just trying to help. Anyway, so far, its good. Keep it up :D

SleepyD

Quote from: "C-Chan"
Thanks!

In that case, I have to compliment you on your steady hand.  I suffer from an unsteady hand, massive time constraints and chronic penny-penching, so I've had to abandon pencil drawing in favor of a computer alternative.  It's faster all around, but it's obviously more practical to draw by hand whenever inspiration hits you.  ^_^

I used to draw a lot many years ago, but only recently have I done it in the Anime style and with the use of so much software.  In other words, I'm not sure if I'm really entitled to tip anyone about anything.  / _ \

But I can offer a few observations if you'd really like.  For one thing, if it's taking a long time now, that's a good thing.  "No pain, no gain" is very common among athletes and besides it is still good practice.  Naturally, the more you practice something, the more natural and systematic your talent becomes regardless of the approach.

From a production standpoint, however, I admit that's a little on the BS side since what matters are set results produced by set time, with little to no tolerance for "practice".  If that applies to your or you would prefer not to spend so many waking hours drawing (no matter how much you may love it), then yeah there might be some resources to exploit to help boost productivity.

If by 'this thing' you mean Photoshop, then I might have to ask which version you're using and what tools you're employing to ink and color.  (e.g., paintbrush/pencil vs vector pen tool, paint bucket vs stroke & fills, image masks, layers, etc.)

Please also let me know which version of Windows you're using, as I might recommend another program for faster inking and line editing.

haha, wow, I've been analyzed or something. XD  Thanks for the
compliment, btw.  My sister has an unsteady hand as well, so I know what
you're talking about. I don't want to do this for a job or something, since I
really suck with deadlines. w00t, procrastination. lol I like to take my time
and have fun with it. ^^  

For the lineart, I used the pen tool extensively for the first time, and I
abuse the layers. haha I have so many layers.  Most of which were like,
sketches.. trying to fix all the mistakes I found after scanning.  I color
manually... paint, erase, ctrl+z, ctrl+z... "curse it, i colored on the wrong
layer", etc, etc. haha

I am using Windows 2000 with 1.3 GB of RAM. ^^

Quote from: "Darknight_88"uuhhh, ahhh...looks nice  ;010

But can I have a full pose pic? I'm not an expert [yet xD], but there's something about her torso and bossom (bewbs...) that's bugging me. I'll try to redline it so you can be able to correct it before doing more details (As soon as I get back my comp/as soon as I install Photoshop in this 128MB RAM comp -_-' )

Just trying to help. Anyway, so far, its good. Keep it up :D

Coolz, I'd like help at this stage. ^^ I totally expect errors in proportions...
It's something I'm working on at the current moment.  Although, if you
asked when I was still doing the lineart, I'd be like, "NO, I've spent hours
correcting this, and I don't want to deal with it anymore!!"  Of course,
that's me talking to myself at 2 am in the morning 3 days ago. XD; I
should talk to myself here one day and see what happens... lol I digress.

(Wow, I just realized that this is a very big picture. lol Scanning at 300 dpi
makes it big.... welp, makes small errors unoticeable after shrinking it,
right? haha)

Attached is full pic without shading... and a couple of base colors. hah.

[attachment deleted by admin]

C-Chan

Quote from: SleepyD
Quote from: C-Chan
haha, wow, I've been analyzed or something. XD  Thanks for the
compliment, btw.  My sister has an unsteady hand as well, so I know what
you're talking about. I don't want to do this for a job or something, since I
really suck with deadlines. w00t, procrastination. lol I like to take my time
and have fun with it. ^^  

For the lineart, I used the pen tool extensively for the first time, and I
abuse the layers. haha I have so many layers.  Most of which were like,
sketches.. trying to fix all the mistakes I found after scanning.  I color
manually... paint, erase, ctrl+z, ctrl+z... "curse it, i colored on the wrong
layer", etc, etc. haha

I am using Windows 2000 with 1.3 GB of RAM. ^^

Sugoi x 10!!
'Kay, as long as you're using at least Windows 2000 (and have 10 times more RAM than I do), we're in the clear.  Photoshop's Pen tool was definitely interesting when I first discovered it myself, and certainly explains the crisp lines (not that you couldn't get extra crispy results with a standard raster paintrbrush, but you know... unsteady hands and all....).  -_-'
Still, never forget that Photoshop is primarily a raster image editor, and it's comparatively clunky as far as vector graphic capabilities go.  Ideally, Adobe should merge Illustrator and Photoshop to get all you need from one product, but try running this by them without mentioning the profit loss.  ^____^

In case you haven't heard of it, give Inkscape a try:
http://www.inkscape.org/

It's an open source vector graphics editor under the GNU license (="FREE"), and works on Linux, Macintosh and [thankfully] Windows2000 and greater.  Maybe not as feature-rich as Illustrator or Corel Painter (yet), but it's very easy to use and you'd feel right at home after wrestling with Photoshop's Pen Tool (plus Inkscape's Freeform Pen Tool is really useful!).  I should also mention that you can change the size of the bezier lines as well, in case you don't want each outline to look the same.

The program also has some limited color capability, although the best route would be to ink your lines first, then save it as a REEEEEALLY large PNG file and color that in Photoshop.  That way, coloring in each individual cell will (or should) be as simple as Magic Wand > Point > Click > Create Layer > Paintbucket Fill.

Lots of Layers is good, btw.  The more the merrier, even if you have to rename each layer or *gasp* draft up a map.  ^__^

I have another possible recommendation for the proportion issue, but maybe later.  Too much typing....  / _____ \'

destroyrhawk

heh, nice sleepyd. I like the certain style that you have in your pictures.  I'm not an art expert but it looks good, better than I can do  ;013

SleepyD

C-Chan: interesting... hah, I need to play around with this some more.  It
won't be useful until I know how to use it, of course. It's like the pen tool on
steroids! XD

hawk: thank you very much!

C-Chan

Quote from: "SleepyD"C-Chan: interesting... hah, I need to play around with this some more.  It
won't be useful until I know how to use it, of course. It's like the pen tool on
steroids! XD

hawk: thank you very much!

Sugoi x 20!!  ^___^
Hope you like it!

Just a friendly piece of advice from personal experience.....  SAVE OFTEN.

It's not only open-source, but it's also designed primarily for Linux, so bugs for the Windows release are inevitable.  The last thing I want happen is for you to enjoy it and then for it to betray you with one of those oh-so-nasty crashes.  (Or maybe the crashes were just a Release 0.43 thing...)  Ã,¬_Ã,¬'

C-Chan added the following  1 hour 38 minutes after last message :

Never mind.  ^___^'

Just downloaded release 0.44, and aside from apparently fixing the Windows crash problem, this version has a ton of new features and layout improvements, and quite frankly seems destined to rock.  

You couldn't have downloaded it at a better time!  ^_-

C-Chan added the following  2 hours 26 minutes after last message :

Um,.... On second thought, please save.....  Ã,¬_Ã,¬'

Darknight_88

As I couldn't get my comp back, I had to do the "redline" manually (anyway, I'm too slow with photoshop, so maybe it wasn't a bad idea). Here's a quick version. Maybe still have a few mistakes, but It'll work for now.

Head:
It wasnt really bad. I just think you should make it a bit less wide. Neck should become thin.
Arms:
The shoulder...bags? (I dont know how to call them -_-) should be made smaller. Aside that, the arms weren't that bad. Her right hand had an strange position (TIP: use your own hand as reference)
Upper Torso:
Adjust the neck a bit. Modify her bossom, a bit less big (in combination with the lower torso mod's, It'll look fine.
Lower Torso
Smaller hips, more curve.
Legs:
Now, here's the main problem. The original pose its weird. Her left (your right) leg its longer than the right one. The pose isnt too natural (probably impossible), if both feet are in the ground. The small doodle in the lower right show's a more appropiate way of using the same pose.
The redline (more like blue/purple) pose its just a recommendation, I think It looks cool.

Overall:

It'd be a good idea to make your lines more curvy (example: the torso and legs). You must practice legs a bit more, they're more curvy.

You can be better, you just need to practice. I still have a lot to learn, but I improved a lot in doing human anatomy in just 1 month, so I know you too can do the same =P

PD: Pure "redline" version: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Darknight_88/2kcopy.jpg

SleepyD

Quote from: "C-Chan"
Sugoi x 20!!  ^___^
Hope you like it!

Just a friendly piece of advice from personal experience.....  SAVE OFTEN.

It's not only open-source, but it's also designed primarily for Linux, so bugs for the Windows release are inevitable.  The last thing I want happen is for you to enjoy it and then for it to betray you with one of those oh-so-nasty crashes.  (Or maybe the crashes were just a Release 0.43 thing...)  Ã,¬_Ã,¬'

C-Chan added the following  1 hour 38 minutes after last message :

Never mind.  ^___^'

Just downloaded release 0.44, and aside from apparently fixing the Windows crash problem, this version has a ton of new features and layout improvements, and quite frankly seems destined to rock.  

You couldn't have downloaded it at a better time!  ^_-

C-Chan added the following  2 hours 26 minutes after last message :

Um,.... On second thought, please save.....  Ã,¬_Ã,¬'

Haha, "note to self: SAVE."

Darknight:
You make entirely valid points. ^^  And yeah, if anything was wrong, I knew it would be the legs. haha  

My comments:
Right hand weird?  Me can do that. XD; Maybe I play around with the pen too much. *spins tablet stylus around*

lol, no like big puffy shoulder things?  

Thanks for help with the legs tho. My ghad I know I needed help with those. I did realize that the foot would have to be raised, so I raised the heel... but... not enough, huh?

Recently I've been trying to use this devart tutorial I found:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15014442/
Yeah, legs should be a bit curvier... although...  I personally think the hips and bosom are fine......

Oh waitaminute.  I see why they look big.... lol I'm typing while I'm looking at this... lessee......... ok, I'll see what I can do.  Interesting how one doesn't see mistakes until someone points it out.  

OK! Time to get to work.

Darknight_88

lol, yah, I just realized its possible to do that with a pen O_O. xD. Well, just consider it a matter of personal taste xP.

Now that I think about it, maybe its possible to do the original pose (I can do that..), but I couldn't drew it at that moment .-. ...weird. Maybe I'll try it later.

edit:

"Ill try it later"...more like 5 min's after typing that...3 min redline (now it is really red!!!), so it's not perfect, but I think it explains the idea. This way the leg would be in the original position, but the angle would be smaller.
Its almost 12:00 am...must...sleep..._O_zzzZZZZZ

SleepyD

Quote from: "Darknight_88"lol, yah, I just realized its possible to do that with a pen O_O. xD. Well, just consider it a matter of personal taste xP.

Now that I think about it, maybe its possible to do the original pose (I can do that..), but I couldn't drew it at that moment .-. ...weird. Maybe I'll try it later.

edit:
"Ill try it later"...more like 5 min's after typing that...3 min redline (now it is really red!!!), so it's not perfect, but I think it explains the idea.
Its almost 12:00 am...must...sleep..._O_zzzZZZZZ

Yush yush, I'll play around with it and see what happens. ^^

12 am? sleep? Maybe I need better sleeping habits. XD