Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaflameSD

Nichi

@Nej: I'd give it a shot. The DIC dub sucked, even if it has some nostalgic value for me
Now, if you want a crappy anime, Kirby: Right Back At Ya; which aside from a decent beginning and ending, 75% of the series was physically painful to watch due to how moronic it was >_<
Plus, no Adeleine; my favorite character in the games. Automatic failure

@Leaf: About the only thing that comes to mind with age stereotypes are the people I used to have problems with at garage sales; who seemed to profile me based solely on age. Like, they'll jump to the conclusion there's no conceivable way someone who's in his early 20s could be interested in a(n) [Amiga \ DEC workstation \ Sega Saturn \ Other tech made prior to Xbox 360] because obviously I only want the absolute latest, and anything less is shit. It usually surprises them when they learn I genuinely like older technology; although I have that problem less since I go to garage sales alone (They see I drive an old SUV, and don't judge me like they do when I arrive in mom's car or the Dart I had)

Chocofreak13

Quote from: NejinOniwa on April 26, 2013, 11:01:26 AM
Spoiler: ShowHide
but i wanted a shitstorm :/

I feel sad now, I went to 4chan for a while and got used to the rage and now I'm expecting too much -_-

Fun thing though, I have never even watched SM at all. Bar like, one or two random dubbed episodes in my very early youth that I caught glimpses of, my exposure to it has been practically nonexistent.

I just have this random aberrant hatred for it anyway :3

so like me with madoka.

@ageism: i have a good arguement for this but i can't remember any of it so i'm gonna call back later.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Well, I suppose, except that Madoka is a recent production with modern quality and of reasonable length (13 episodes + 1 or 3 eventual movies), while Sailor Moon is bloody ancient and too big for me to even start thinking about giving a shot. I know, call me a faggot, but I really value my 720p mkv's.

Without getting into arguments about the shows themselves, you'll have to agree that Madoka is far easier to physically watch - one, no clawing out eyes, two, it's actually theoretically possible to watch the entire series in one night if you wanted to.

Honestly, if you give Madoka a fair chance, I'd be willing to check out the SM reboot this summer. I do not expect it to be able to keep my interest for more than 3 episodes or so, but it is an honorably attempt.

Are you up to the challenge, minion?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

Sailor Moon isn't that big, when you stop and remember Dragon Ball Z is practically over 9,000 episodes long with seemingly 100+ movies @_@

EDIT:
Well, if you want to get more precise, the original Sailor Moon only has an evenly-rounded 200 episodes. By comparison, Dragon Ball Z has 508, Bleach has 366, and Doctor Who has 800+ and counting

Chocofreak13

i am up to the challenge but only if you let me watch the reboot first to determine quality. there still is the chance they could fuck it up. if you want to give yourself the abridged version, take a wiki walk through the pages, honestly; the mass amounts of filler CAN be a bit over-the-top at times. (it really falls into a monster-of-the-week format at first and if you're not a fan of some sort it can be off-putting.

i've been meaning to watch the OVA, let me give that a spin and if it's relevant i'll reccomend it to you. in the meantime, you might check out one of the movies. they're pretty good, if a bit less deep/dark than the R series and upward. :\ )
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

Question, what do you think of people who take things too seriously.
Does it urk you, or does it not really matter to you.
Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

for me, it depends on the person and the thing in question. some people take things too seriously, some don't take them seriously enough. both irk me.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Agreeing with Kari. It all depends on what the topic in question is.

People treating relatively "trivial" subjects (for instance, favorite computer brand / OS / anime / movie / soda / dog vs. cat) as serious matters bugs me. I mean I don't mind debate over the merits / weaknesses of something, but when people start hating on other people just because, say, they use Linux while their OS of choice is Mac, I think that's petty and wrong.

Matters that are actually serious and impact on the lives of people (health, education, race and gender issues, poverty, etc.) should be treated as such. Even if I disagree, I can see why people would take these sorts issues "too seriously".

Nichi

Indeed. I can't stand people who have to get into fights about trivial things like favorite video game console; like on the G4 boards eons ago, where people would be giving each other death threats because sweet mother of Multics they have a different opinion.

Now, I do understand taking actual serious topics seriously; like gender issues, healthcare, education, and the like. Those are major issues compared to, say, who was the best captain on Star Trek.

LeaflameSD

I'm with Choco on this one too.

All I need to say here is:
The Sonic fanbase is a perfect example of people who take things too seriously.

Simonorged

Cool, um... could we revisit some topics like IDK gun control?
Or how about,
Weed, Yes or No
@Leaf: don't rekindle an inferno.

NejinOniwa

Quote from: PentiumMMX on April 29, 2013, 09:24:35 PM
Indeed. I can't stand people who have to get into fights about trivial things like favorite video game console; like on the G4 boards eons ago, where people would be giving each other death threats because sweet mother of Multics they have a different opinion.

Now, I do understand taking actual serious topics seriously; like gender issues, healthcare, education, and the like. Those are major issues compared to, say, who was the best captain on Star Trek.
Yes, because all know Spock was the best captain
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Simonorged

Nichi

@Leaf: Agreed. It's why, although I enjoy the Sonic games, I distance myself from most of the fandom :\