Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

my statement was more metaphorical. but yes, i could see us advancing to that point.

and what the hell do you mean "abort the baby naturally"?? we're not nymphs, dude, we can't get pregnant/un-pregnant at will.
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

I'm now thinking of the scuttle fish.

They can choose whether or not they get pregnant.

new topic, DNA modification.
Yes       or        No?
Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Simonorged

genetic modification to make the carrying parent able to abort the pregnancy just like a nymph or choose to allow pregnancy just like a scuttle fish.

LeaflameSD

@Choco: Without the use of microchips (. )_(.)?

Yes, DNA modification. I'm tired of these stupid flamewars over birth control and sexism.

Simonorged

@leaf: it's still not natural to abort a pregnancy.

And I don't think this is really a flame war, more of a long winded debate.

LeaflameSD

I guess. Since alot of drama keeps happening and junk maybe I'll ignore this thread.

Simonorged

Or we could try some other topic that doesn't slip back into that.
And I could try not to start it.

LeaflameSD

What you said.

By the way, is anybody up for talking about SOPA/PIPA?

Chocofreak13

yes, but after dna modding. also, don't play the young card after you've tried to deny it all this time. can't have it both ways, dude~

also, by the "natural" thing, i mean that technically an abortion isn't a natural process, it is induced through outside influences. we can't induce one as a bodily function, like burping or going to the bathroom. (sorry for that analogy.)

@DNA: modification is the wave of the future. (lol 80's comment) with modding DNA, we can get rid of illness, deformity, and even enhance life (both for cosmetic and non-cosmetic purposes). we can make food resistant to heat or cold, so we'll be solving world hunger. and if we can modify our life systems even further, we can colonize the ocean floor and go into space without the need for oxygen or pressure regulation. science fiction won't be fiction for long.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

DNA-based modification is progress on a simple and natural level. We aren't breaking the bonds of our species - we're just speeding up its evolution and pointing it in the direction we want.

Physical modification on the other hand...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Simonorged

I would have like to have been born as a Zora

Chocofreak13

i'd like to be able to tweak the genes of my future kids so they're born with anime hair. that'd fucking rock.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

If I could tweak the genes of my future kids, if I have kids, I'd like to remove the "really bad acne" gene that I unfortunately inherited from mom :\

Simonorged

DNA modification, Is it okay to do?
A lot of science fiction movies make a point of explaining the horrors of such, see splice.
I guess what I'm asking is how mush is too much? Or is there/should there be a line?