Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

@scrolling marquee: i've used it once or twice, but i agree, it's REALLY overused.

@religion: i hate hateful people. i'm gunshy around mainstream religions. i'm somewhat racist against white people. that's just who i am. :\
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

That makes me think of a new topic.
Racism and Sexism: Same or reversed
Simon was here :P

Simonorged

There is no excuse for rape. If the person doesn't want to have sex you CAN NOT force them to no matter if they advertised.
Although yeah I do get what your saying, Why dress provocatively if you don't want to get attention or get complimented on it.

That's really not what I meant though, what I mean is that the people who were discriminated against by race or gender now form an opinion about everyone from the opposite demographic.
As if stereo typing. Which then becomes a vicious cycle of "they're the ones at fault here", and it never ends, not all while people are racist and not all men are chauvinist pigs. And dagnabbit just because someone is Irish doesn't mean he/she is a drunk! Not to mention, if you judge things from a religious stand point, things get more messed up.

Pitkin

After the death penalty, abortion and religion being graciously ignored, I cannot help but snapping at this:

Quote from: LeaflameSD on March 11, 2013, 11:57:39 AM
I hate it when a woman acts surprised when they get touch/raped/violated out on the street, and you see them wearing some slutty outfit. I mean, if you look like a street walker dressed in scraggy clothing, then don't expect to have a deep conversation with any guy >_<

This is one of the things that causes sexism.

And I hate more than anything else anyone trying to blame a woman for being a victim of sexual harrassment. Even if I pranced around nude, my body would still be mine, and certainly not yours to touch or to comment on. Who are you to decide what other people can wear? Are trousers still fine, or should we maybe just stick to ankle-length, single-fibre skirts and dresses? Maybe it'd be safer if we never left home in the first place, unless covered from the top of the head to the toes, just to not provoke the poor, innocent, pure-hearted, good-willing men who just want to look after our precious chastity?

Or maybe we should impose similar rules elsewhere? Maybe, if a man is not sporting a beard, he shouldn't be surprised when he gets whipped for looking indecent? Tattoos and piercings are terrifyingly immoral too. Should impose some kind of public humiliation for those. Not to mention sandals: those erotic toes just call for a gang rape, don't they?

Bella

Quote from: Pitkin on March 11, 2013, 12:48:04 PM
After the death penalty, abortion and religion being graciously ignored, I cannot help but snapping at this:

I hate it when a woman acts surprised when they get touch/raped/violated out on the street, and you see them wearing some slutty outfit. I mean, if you look like a street walker dressed in scraggy clothing, then don't expect to have a deep conversation with any guy >_<

And I hate more than anything else anyone trying to blame a woman for being a victim of sexual harrassment. Even if I pranced around nude, my body would still be mine, and certainly not yours to touch or to comment on. Who are you to decide what other people can wear? Are trousers still fine, or should we maybe just stick to ankle-length, single-fibre skirts and dresses? Maybe it'd be safer if we never left home in the first place, unless covered from the top of the head to the toes, just to not provoke the poor, innocent, pure-hearted, good-willing men who just want to look after our precious chastity?

Or maybe we should impose similar rules elsewhere? Maybe, if a man is not sporting a beard, he shouldn't be surprised when he gets whipped for looking indecent? Tattoos and piercings are terrifyingly immoral too. Should impose some kind of public humiliation for those. Not to mention sandals: those erotic toes just call for a gang rape, don't they?

Give him hell, Pitkin, people who think this way deserve it. ><

But yeah, to reiterate: PEOPLE DRESSING A "CERTAIN WAY*" DO NOT DESERVE TO BE HARASSED. THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO BE RAPED. THEY DON'T DESERVE TO BE WHISTLED AT OR CATCALLED OR HIT ON AGAINST THEIR WILL. NOBODY deserves any form of sexual harassment. And if you think they do, well, I have news for you: You're a pretty screwed up person, or at least have a rather ignorant and sexist mindset. And that's inexcusable. Educate yourself.

*I put "a certain way" in quotation marks because, guess fuckin' what, there are MANY forms of dress considered indecent. In the US, miniskirts and belly-shirts might be considered "slutty" by sexism aficionados, but among cultures with more strict "modesty" mandates, a long-sleeved sweater and jeans might be considered risque. And in other cultures, near-total or total nudity might be considered absolutely fine. As for "sexy" attire - did you know that some people are turned on by uniforms? Nun's habits? Every style of dress you can imagine is arousing for SOMEBODY, which makes it entirely arbitrary and pointless to try to call some items of clothing "sexy" or "slutty" and others modest.

Nichi

As for my feelings, I honestly hate sexism and racism alike. With the former, I get pissed off at the frequent "make me a sandwich" jokes (And other such jokes) that float around the internet, and as Pit brought up, I fucking hate the "rape is the fault of the victim" mindset; it greatly pisses me off that some assholes believe it as true, and I have absolutely no respect for them because of it.

As for the latter, it's a touchy subject for me; especially given how I learned a few years back that my mom's grandfather was part of the KKK, which I think might explain why her side of the family is so hateful toward anything that falls outside of what they consider the norm. My mindset seems to be more in-line with my dad's side of the family; who are more laid-back and accepting

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Bella on March 11, 2013, 01:05:27 PM

Give him hell, Pitkin, people who think this way deserve it. ><

But yeah, to reiterate: PEOPLE DRESSING A "CERTAIN WAY*" DO NOT DESERVE TO BE HARASSED. THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO BE RAPED. THEY DON'T DESERVE TO BE WHISTLED AT OR CATCALLED OR HIT ON AGAINST THEIR WILL. NOBODY deserves any form of sexual harassment. And if you think they do, well, I have news for you: You're a pretty screwed up person, or at least have a rather ignorant and sexist mindset. And that's inexcusable. Educate yourself.

*I put "a certain way" in quotation marks because, guess fuckin' what, there are MANY forms of dress considered indecent. In the US, miniskirts and belly-shirts might be considered "slutty" by sexism aficionados, but among cultures with more strict "modesty" mandates, a long-sleeved sweater and jeans might be considered risque. And in other cultures, near-total or total nudity might be considered absolutely fine. As for "sexy" attire - did you know that some people are turned on by uniforms? Nun's habits? Every style of dress you can imagine is arousing for SOMEBODY, which makes it entirely arbitrary and pointless to try to call some items of clothing "sexy" or "slutty" and others modest.

damn straight, girl! >:[

@pent: holy shit, your great-grandpa was KKK!? goddamn man, get the fuck out of there. and yeah, that says a hell of a lot.
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

Okay... looks like I'm missed the explosion this time.

Harassment is never okay, Neither is rape.
Glad it was addressed

@pitkin: Your more than welcome to share what you believe on the first three topics you mentioned above.

Bella

It gets extremely tiring to keep hearing these sexist tropes about what women should or shouldn't do/say/wear/think/go to avoid sexual harassment. Especially when a frighteningly large number of people - of ALL genders, backgrounds, beliefs or non-beliefs and intelligence levels, no less - buy into these ideas. There's a reason why many victims of sexual harassment and/or assault avoid reporting the crimes committed against them to police, seeking medical treatment or psychiatric counseling - they're afraid that THEY will be blamed for the crime, or considered somehow deserving of harassment or assault because of something they wore, said or did. Mind you, this can happen with victims of other crimes (for instance, a person being blamed for suffering a mugging because they were dressed nicely or "look rich"), but it's particularly insulting and dehumanizing to have authority figures suggest the victims of sexual assault are more responsible for the attacks committed against them than the perpetrators are.

I could go on, but i have to run now. I'll just leave this here for now.

Chocofreak13

clothing is no excuse to attack. how someone is acting is no excuse to attack. in the case of being impaired (drunk, high, tired, knocked out, sleeping, etc), it comes down to personal responsibility not to act. in this case, would you take the wallet of someone who was drunk? steal their car? what about take them home and ransack their house? if none of these are acceptable, having sex with them in that state isn't either. it's akin to taking something precious of theirs, their free will.
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

Rape
If they have no say, it's not okay.
if they can't say no, you better go.

stewartsage

KKK related moment Bells heard from me; my friends and I are at this awesome antique mall checking everything out for the first time.  All kinds of sweet swag to be had.  Then I get to this one booth and realize..... it is literally full of KKK memorabilia, including a blank membership certificate for the Maryland KKK and a selection of chapter patches.

There was a brief awkward moment because KKK patches look a lot like old Shriner patches and the like.

I'll avoid contributing victimology statistics to the discussion...

NejinOniwa

Or maybe we should impose similar rules elsewhere? Maybe, if a man is not sporting a beard, he shouldn't be surprised when he gets whipped for looking indecent?
Huzzah! I am safe!

Sexism is an unfortunate byproduct of men being in the driving seat of civilization for way too long. Like all other examples of arhaic, nonsensical constructs in our society, it is a vile taint that must be purged.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

nice to hear that from you. ^^

@stew: that sounds exceptionally awkward. kinda wish you had gotten a picture. :\
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

It's very simple logic, really. Sexist men tend to be the same men who are ultimately harboring the poison known as stupidity in their minds. We must cleanse this scum from the planet.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS