Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Hell naw I ain't :D
I think that was back in my early days on OSC, but not when I was a newcomer - just before Kari arrived or just after, I think. I did one or two posts in the Intro thread with that shit on...look back to those if you're interested in a date.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Simonorged

Shouldn't this be more on topicless?

New topic. Any ideas.
Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

@nej: *is starting a deceased injokes thread*

death penalty, y/n?
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

NejinOniwa

Killing them off is a waste of good prolonged suffering...

Simonorged

Absolutely for the death penalty.
But with certain conditions, they can only escape it once and to do so they have to feel remorse.
And if the person who committed the crime did it to protect some one, then they shouldn't be in jail, they should be under protection.

I remember watching something on tv where a woman's violently abusive 2nd husband was raping her daughter, and when she found out, she shot him. Shooting that scumbag shouldn't have been a crime. She spent the next few years in jail, and the death penalty wasn't even mentioned.
Maybe this isn't the best example.

Nichi

It depends on the crime; if it's severe enough to call for it, I'd say yes

Simonorged

I believe everyone should have a chance to change their past, but they have to want it.
Remorse is the main tool for that. Once you've accepted that what you did was wrong, you can move forward to change it.

I'd like to see people who have committed such crimes working in places that can help them grow to learn and help others. Some of the horrendous crimes that occur are ones that are like a trap and if your not careful, these crimes will be the death of you. One way or another they will kill you.
More times than not whats needed is consoling, and a not the death penalty.

But as I said before, If they're not willing to change, they're pretty much dead already.

Chocofreak13

must....resist....urge to correct spelling...

death penalty is qualified in some cases, not all. self-defense is a no. diress is a no. DP for kids is a no. child rape is a yes. (all rape should be a yes. >>; )
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Why give them the mercy of death when they can be kept in misery for so much longer?

Always hoping that maybe they will be given some small freedom, some small measure of light...

Hope is the greatest chain, and the sharpest double-edged sword ever made by man.

Chocofreak13

because we can kill them with suffering too...? frankly, some of our killing methods are too humane. how about the revival of the gas chamber. -w-
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

Death Penalthy... According to the 1910 Constitution is a no... But the Civil Police corps are a No according to it too-...

Chocofreak13

i'm a democrat, but i'm highly FOR the death penalty. some people just deserve to die. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

As long as a single innocent person can be convicted and sentenced to death, I will be against the death penalty.

And even if the criminal justice system was 100% perfect and foolproof, I'd still be against the death penalty. As Nej said: I would rather the worse offenders rot away in jail than be killed, imprisonment is worse than death.

That being said, I'm also very against torture or any sort of inhumane treatment of prisoners. Being locked up and having to deal with other criminals should be punishment enough, it's sadistic to want to add on to that by actually imposing torture or other forms of undue punishment.

Chocofreak13

convictions of innocents is getting harder and harder to do due to DNA and superiour forensics. i don't want to give a kiddie rapist the satisfaction of thinking about his victims, waking up in the morning to a new day, watching the world go by. i'd rather the filth be cleaned up. >>;
click to make it bigger