Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Pitkin

I cannot help it. Judging by how much it's in the news here, it must be the Event of the Year. ^^ Don't underestimate the richness of horse meat publicity.

NejinOniwa

I've only heard people talk about people talking about it. Meager mentions, really. Perhaps nothing that vikings care about?

Pitkin

Probably, Nejin, very probably so. I'm very happy for you. x)

Simonorged

Romantic relationships are a matter of the heart and are not to be taken lightly, for me to be in one I'd be very jealous and protective. To see most of the relationships today, most of them end close to where they began. There is no commitment, no real love. If you really love someone, you should always be able to work through the problems(although hardly ever the abusive ones) Love is not a relative term, it has to be mutual. And to bring religion back into it I love how the bible describes true love.

(NAS, 1 Corinthians 13:4-7)
Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY
Simon was here :P

NejinOniwa

Who is this valentine fellow you speak of? 'Tis All Singles' Day today, your calendar must be mistaken.

Simonorged

Simon was here :P

Nichi

@Pit: You do raise a good point; if the couples are in agreement on what they do. I'm mostly against it being taken lightly when the two can't see eye-to-eye (Like, one wants a serious committed relationship, while the other just wants a one-night stand \ friend with benefits \ etc.)

Also, on the stereotypes thing, one of my former coworkers at the hospital always tried to give me advice on women using racial stereotypes; often saying (rough quote) "get yourself a Hispanic model; they're lower maintenance than the slutty, money-eating white ones, and will worship you as a god". How about no, creepy surgeon guy; I'll follow my heart and not the advice of some racist guy I only saw regularly because of needing to bring equipment to his department.

Chocofreak13

wtf racist surgeon? sounds like an obsure video game character. .__.

my major grievance with most of the population is that people entering into marriage sometimes go into it with the fluffy, light outlook they approach relationships: everything is lovely, life is easy, and if i get bored i'll just dump him/her. colour me old fashioned, but i like the 40's idea of marriage, only without the gender stereotyping. -w-

@pit: all that comes to mind with horse meat is the WW1 documentary i have, which informed me that during the Siege of Gallipoli the British forces ran short on food and started eating their horses. .__________.;

@simon: for once, i agree with the bible. :0000
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

@ pit: As being the one starting this, I think I must say that, while I dream on marrying a Japanese woman, I will be throught in the way things do, learning language, customs, etc to make a happy family life, I'm not denying it may sound idealized, but is my desire.

the bible quote reminds me of the first crush I had... met her in elementary school, went to her house to watch Mazinger Z, and by the end of the school year she moved to the USA. found her back in college, courted her, at the same time an older friend of mine was courting her, yet she chose him... an since her Mom disapproved the relationship she blamed me when she was found out and never talked again... last I heard of her was that she became a lezzie from the friend that was her boyfriend...

about the horse meat... wasn't in the news that some found horse meat in packages of ready to serve beef meat?

Quote from: NejinOniwa on February 14, 2013, 08:23:41 AM
Who is this valentine fellow you speak of? 'Tis All Singles' Day today, your calendar must be mistaken.

OK, nej, for christinanity, St. Valentin is the protector of lovers, so every year on the day assigned to him, loves and good friends celebrate their love/friendship...

Chocofreak13

it's a joke, dude. nej celebrates all singles' day instead of romantic stuff.

@horse meat packages: eeww, that's creepy, and it makes me thankful we don't get the packaged stuff like that (outside of frozen dinners, and i don't eat any frozen dinners with beef).

no offense dude, but your mom sounds like a bit of a jerk in that context. good for the girl for finding happiness if nothing else, but you can't really "become" lesbian because orientation is not a conscious process. either you're lesbian or not, no one can "turn someone gay". :\
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

it was the girl's mom... not mine... and yes, she was a bit of a jerk, thought she genuinely wanted me as his son in law... and I meant that the friend that used to date her instead of me told me she wet to the other team... a waste if you ask me, but I've past long the time I care about her... so in that regard, yes I'm a jerk...

Chocofreak13

no, you're not. she chose him, not you, that's not your fault. and if the mother is more concerned with gaining a son-in-law than her daughter's happiness, then that's one screwed up family. >>;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Pitkin on February 14, 2013, 03:55:32 AM
As for relationships and marriage/whatever union, I'd just say whatever floats their boat. It doesn't sadden me one bit if a person wants to hook up every night of the week just to get a free shower in the morning, as long as his or her hookups are like-minded and everything works in agreement. Same goes for any marriage for benefits or any other reason, it's none of my business to judge others' reasons for it, but if it's an arranged wedding, count me out of the supporters.

I'd quote the rest of your post, but I'd probably just end up with me agreeing with every one of your points. We're very much on the same page when it comes to relationships and marriage. 

Personally, I hate how marriage is still being hijacked by religion / religious people in this day and age. I also hate how (at least in the eyes of conservative types) it's seen as a more "moral" or "committed" kind of relationship, and somehow the domain of more righteous or virtuous people. I make no distinction between an unmarried couple in a mutually-loving and respectful relationship and a married couple who feel the same way - although I am NOT anti-marriage or think that it's a "outdated" custom, since there are very important privileges and legal protections (upwards of one-thousand) that are granted to married couples that "cohabitation" couples aren't offered, all because their relationship isn't "official" in the eyes of the law.

This is one reason I get upset when people suggest marriage equality is somehow a trivial issue, or that there are more pressing problems in the LBGTQA+ community and that marriage equality should take a backseat to those other problems. Violence, harassment, erasure, etc. of LGBTQA+ people IS a major issue and should be getting far more mainstream coverage than it is, but guess what, not being able to marry the person you love and be extended all those privileges - which are really more like civil RIGHTS -  is also a really fucking huge thing and should not be painted as a triviality or nicety. It is a necessity for many people.

In regards to liking or wanting to marry / date a person of a certain race or nationality ... well ... honestly, I wouldn't go around advertising the fact, since that's bound to be considered politically-incorrect (or even racist) by many people, and depending on the intentions of the person, it could very well be racist. (Pent's example, about the coworker who advised him to date Latina women because they're somehow "simpler" than white women is a good example.) That being said, I think it's important to differentiate between finding a group of people pretty / handsome / attractive / sexy, and seriously wanting or INTENDING to marry or date a person of a certain race or nationality. I don't think the first is necessarily wrong - at least as long as the person doesn't harass or creep on the group of their affection - while i think the second category, the people who seriously set out to date/marry a person of a certain race/nationality, is very wrong.

Nichi

Agreed. The way I see it, whither a couple does or doesn't get married is up to them; they shouldn't be forced to if they only want to go as far as living under the same roof and occasionally making love.