Main Menu

Bad Apple

Started by CaptBrenden, December 28, 2011, 12:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

...and I dont mean the hit Touhou remix.

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/12/27/apple-busted-for-dubious-applecare-selling/

Apple has been pulling the wool over some peoples eyes it seems, and they aren't too happy about it.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Red-Machine

Yup, I heard about this.  They're basically selling what they're required to provide by law in Italy.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

So... it's a matter of Italian law, not Apple making shady business decisions?

People love pointing out the bad/questionable things Apple does on occasion. I'm not sure if it's an insult or a compliment - on one hand they could be griping because they dislike the company, on the other, Apple seems to be held to a VERY high technological and ethical standard, which obviously means folks - even those critical of Apple - think highly of it and want it to be better than the average multibilliondollar corporation. As compared to most other corporations of its standing, like Microsoft, which rarely attract the same level of nitpicking and complaint (except by those who are strongly against them).

Red-Machine

Apple has some of the best lawyers in the business, they'd know about a law like this.  So the fact that they're still recommending people buy AppleCare plans when their required to provide that service by law for free is pretty underhanded if you ask me.

Bella

Holy crap... a corporation, being underhanded? It boggles the mind!

Next you're going to tell me Bears crap in the forest and The pope is Catholic.

Red-Machine

Oh come on.  Everybody knows the Pope is Jewish!

Nichi

I though the Pope was a cat :3

Anyway, this doesn't actually surprise me, as I've never run into a company that isn't trying underhanded marketing tactics to rake in more money

Krizonar

I regret not buying extended Applecare on my MBP. Wish they had persuaded me.

Bella

I got the extended warranty on my iMac, I think it just ran out this November... never used it, at any rate.

Krizonar

I had the speakers in mine enhanced a couple months after I got it.

"you guys done already?"
"yeah, Iron Maiden sounded great"

true story.

Chocofreak13

fucking macs. :\

this is another reason that i like knowing people. screw the warranty, i have nerds. >>;

that said, bitch move on the part of apple. seems like they're screwing over their customers again. :\
click to make it bigger

CaptBrenden

ah.. its like the useless dell support center that came with my laptop... cant understand a word they are saying so they dont help.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Nichi

@Cappy: I know the feeling. Try dealing with Xbox Technical Support; they're impossible to understand >_<

Which, the only warranty on the fleet is me; I do all the upkeeping and such

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 29, 2011, 12:15:58 AM
that said, bitch move on the part of apple. seems like they're screwing over their customers again. :\

OH MY FREAKING GOD. A TECH GIANT........................ SCREWING CUSTOMERS?

THIS IS UNHEARD OF! NO OTHER COMPANIES HAVE EVER SCREWED THEIR CUSTOMERS! MAY APPLE BURN THE THE DEPTHS OF TECHNOLOGICAL HELL!

I apologize for the snarking (it's nothing personal), but really, it's irritating to see this painted as an Apple-exclusive issue and treated like they're the first ones to do underhanded things in the name of making a few more bucks. It's not. 

Quote from: CaptBrenden on December 29, 2011, 12:38:10 AM
ah.. its like the useless dell support center that came with my laptop... cant understand a word they are saying so they dont help.

I called a tech help line once, spent 45 minutes trying to communicate with a fellow who had only the most rudimentary grasp of the English language... still, he helped me get my router working, so it turned out well.

Haven't called any help lines since, though I once called our local(ish) Apple Store to ask one of the Genius Bar for directions on how to remove a Linux live CD from my computer at boot. Aside from that, I've figured out everything on my own, with the help of friends, or the internet.

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on December 29, 2011, 10:09:29 AM
Haven't called any help lines since, though I once called our local(ish) Apple Store to ask one of the Genius Bar for directions on how to remove a Linux live CD from my computer at boot. Aside from that, I've figured out everything on my own, with the help of friends, or the internet.
I could've taught you that.

And what I've learned from this is screw Italy.