Main Menu

8-tan

Started by Tenkohime, June 22, 2011, 09:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Looks good Dustii. ^.^

I'm new to 3DCG too, so no help from me... maybe you could try editing her outfit in an image editor (Paint, The GIMP, etc) if you want to make a mock-up of her RT outfit? I know it's not as good as the real thing (being able to make a 3D model of her outfit), but it could get your concept across....

DustiiWolf

I guess... im never really good at stuff like that... but i guess it wouldnt hurt to try.
it seems alot of people are new to 3DCG.

maybe i can make something close enough in 3DCG and edit it in gimp.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

DustiiWolf

Chocofreak13

the drawback of everyone being new to 3DCG is that no one can mentor another in the program. but the benefit is that we get to learn together, lol.

gl in editing. you managed to slap a logo on the skirt, so making one for the shirt shouldn't be terribly hard, hm?
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

i did that with an image editor though. GIMP. not 3DCG
there are ways to make actual custom clothing articles for the app, but i cant seem to find out how (its through modding)
I need a completely different top than whats available in 3DCG for the RT outfit. not a simple logo. :(

Chocofreak13

ahhh, in that case then idk what to tell you. i know you used GIMP. it's too bad there's no folder that you can stick clothes in, since i was gonna say if you have any experience with blender then you could use that. but idk man. good luck, and if you figure it out i encourage you to make a thread about it with your results. :\

btw, since you seem to be establishing yourself here, why not introduce yourself in the other areas of the forum? we have a

member introduction thread, after all.
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Chocofreak13

i'll give you some critique. being an art student has desensitized me to critique a bit, so if i seem mean, i'm not trying to be. i'm just going to give you points on which you can improve.

you sing way too many praises. it doesn't endear me to the character to hear how chipper and perky and perfect she is! real people have flaws, so your character will be richer by having them too. (for example, i wouldn't really consider 5-6 year old XP machines 'older hardware' (and my friend's computer, the one i'm on now, takes offense at being called 'older hardware'), at least not compared to some of the stuff we deal with around here, so maybe she has trouble communicating with the older generation?)
   (on that note, some of the praises you sing might not be praises to all people. consider a broader audience when you do this sort of thing. for instance, saying she's "simple" might not apply to everyone. i don't consider it easy to use. "informative" to me is annoying. etc etc. xD)
no offense or anything, but without the addition of something to make her more real, you've created a
mary sue. :\

she wasn't born in 1990. she can be that old, but traditionally -tans are born on their release date. meaning regardless of appearance, 98 considers ME and 2k 'younger' sisters. if you took the information about making her 'born' in 1990 as a cue from Claudia's bio, well, remember the fans have been doing this A LOT longer than Microsoft has. i think they might have done that for claudia since they thought it didn't make sense for a character as old as her to have been 'born' so recently. if you follow their mold, be warned that not everyone might accept it if your -tan is accepted as canon.

you forgot to mention her relation to Nanami. the OSes down the line are sisters/brothers/cousins/uncles. meaning that windows phone might be more like a twin sister or a clone or something, since Nanami IS 8's sister, like it or not. if Nanami is Claudia's cousin, and you listed her as 8's cousin too, then that means Nanami are related.

the way you promote windows 8, you sound like they're paying you! i know you really love the OS, but if you love the character, bring her to life with a few flaws. after all, no one's perfect, right?
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Wow! Thats brilliant! I guess i got so caught up in my love for the os i forgot to add some flaws. ;w;"

Ill get to that. ill come up with a list of flaws to go along with traits, and i do see how "informative" could be annoying. Maybe she could be misunderstood as a know-it-all by some people? And maybe others could get frustrated at times when she happens to OVER simplify something or wont go enough into detail on something?

Thanks for the input! ^^

And great idea Aurora! Maybe that "rebellious" side could be part of her social nightlife (RT Mode) when she isnt working (Pro Mode)!

As for birth date, Kari, i read somewhere about Nanami being born somewhere in the early 90's (sadly ive lost the source link), but her birth DAY was her release date, so since Windows 8 is coming October 25th (with New PC's and Windows 8 Upgrade program starting the 26th) i figured id do something of the same for my 8-Tan idea.

As for relation to Nanami... half sister maybe? Or maybe Nanami's alternate self? The different last name with the relation to Nanami could make either cousin or half sister good fits. What do you think? I was thinking half sister since Windows 8's "Legacy"support (Desktop Software) is heavily took from Windows 7 if im not mistaken, but i want your guys ideas (its always good to get help & ideas from others).

Again, thanks for the input! Its brilliant! ^^

Nichi

On the whole birthday thing, I think it's something more up to speculation; like, Claudia's birthday is the day Windows 1.0 was released; even though Windows Azure (Of which Claudia is the -tan of) didn't exist until at least 25 years later

DustiiWolf

Quote from: PentiumMMX on October 03, 2012, 04:46:07 PM
On the whole birthday thing, I think it's something more up to speculation; like, Claudia's birthday is the day Windows 1.0 was released; even though Windows Azure (Of which Claudia is the -tan of) didn't exist until at least 25 years later
i guess that makes sense.

DustiiWolf

BEHOLD! Hiratai's RT Outfit! :)

I took two pics of her in 3DCG of the same size with different outfits, and used gimp to cut and paste them together, as well as to color the shirt.

Chocofreak13

looks nice, dude.

as for the birthday thing, every -tan i've seen thus far has had their release date as their birthdate. i'm taking every -tan into account with that one, not just the ones that the public knows about. :\

as for her relation to nanami, if she's a windows, she should bear the madobe name as far as i'm concerned. all the win-tans in my comics have "madobe" as their family name, from Madobe Janus to Madobe Saseko. even Claudia has it. i'm not sure what to tell you in terms of a different name, since it's the same parent company. so i can't really comment on familial relationships. if it helps any, i was considering using the blue-haired 8-tan in my comic, and i'd consider her a new sister to Nanami and the rest.
windows phone-tan, while closely related to windows 8, i'd consider more like CE, considering it's the same general idea.

maybe this is just my bias talking, but she seems less 'rebellious' than 'totally abandoning everything that makes windows windows' to me. >>;
but yeah, flaws will help. don't let yourself get caught up like that, since if you love your OCs, you'll make every effort to make them real. :3

also, i mentioned this to a friend of mine, mel, who's also in art school (different one from me). she said she wanted to do some critique too, but at the time it was 4 am and she needed to shower before bed, so she said she'd do it tonight. expect a post from me in her voice later on. :\
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on October 03, 2012, 09:00:35 PM
looks nice, dude.

as for the birthday thing, every -tan i've seen thus far has had their release date as their birthdate. i'm taking every -tan into account with that one, not just the ones that the public knows about. :\

as for her relation to nanami, if she's a windows, she should bear the madobe name as far as i'm concerned. all the win-tans in my comics have "madobe" as their family name, from Madobe Janus to Madobe Saseko. even Claudia has it. i'm not sure what to tell you in terms of a different name, since it's the same parent company. so i can't really comment on familial relationships. if it helps any, i was considering using the blue-haired 8-tan in my comic, and i'd consider her a new sister to Nanami and the rest.
windows phone-tan, while closely related to windows 8, i'd consider more like CE, considering it's the same general idea.

maybe this is just my bias talking, but she seems less 'rebellious' than 'totally abandoning everything that makes windows windows' to me. >>;
but yeah, flaws will help. don't let yourself get caught up like that, since if you love your OCs, you'll make every effort to make them real. :3

also, i mentioned this to a friend of mine, mel, who's also in art school (different one from me). she said she wanted to do some critique too, but at the time it was 4 am and she needed to shower before bed, so she said she'd do it tonight. expect a post from me in her voice later on. :\

I guess your right on the name... maybe i should call her a Madobe. How about Aya Madobe? (Aya means "Colorful"or "Design", which is actually fitting for Windows 8!)

As far as windows phone tan, i think WP8 should have a new tan, since it is based off of the Windows NT kernel like Windows, unlike WP7/7.5/7.8 which is based of CE, thus making her more like Windows 8-tan.

As far as abandoning? 8 still has the desktop, control panel, 8 Pro can run all the same apps as Windows 7, and others too. Think of it as the next step for Windows. So Aya hasnt abandoned anyone. Shes just given the family a new image. When shes working (Pro Outfit) shes just as cooperative with older tans as ever. Durring her night life (RT Outfit) though shes usually not with the other windows-tans, so the rebellious thing works, since 8 RT doesnt support desktop software and is incompatible with Windows Apps before it, So can Aya's nightlife in her RT outfit be rebellious and not spend time with the other Windows-tans.
  EDIT: She still hangs with Claudia and other non-Windows Desktop OS-tans

On the hair? I figured since windows 8 gave the os a facelift id give miss Aya a hair color thats different.

Ill give on the bday. no sense arguing. :3

Im still working on a list of flaws, so let me just boot up my 8 pc and ill get back to yah. XD

Thanks for all the support.

This stuff is Supportive & Constructive criticism! Keep it coming! Its helpful!

One flaw: No sense of direction. Windows 8 location settings are still buggy. like iOS6 maps buggy last i used them XD

Chocofreak13

actually, the 8-tan i was referring to is a seperate entity from windows phone, though sharing characteristics with it. i say she's closer to CE because she IS--in spirit. yes, she doesn't share source code with CE, but both were made for portable devices and were made to be small and on the go. thus, she shares characteristics with CE, despite the time gap.

i can't think of it as the next step for windows, because instead of a step forward, this feels like a giant jump to the left (with no step to the right). thinking in terms of canon, this isn't even bias talking. some of the older OSes might not be too keen on her 'updates', such as 95-tan and 98-tan. 3.1-tan likely wouldn't care too much (tbh she seems pretty lax despite being traditional), and NT would be supportive but i doubt she'd be too comfortable. it's just too radical a switch, dude. too much too soon. Aya (love the name btw) might be friendly with the Win-tans, but in terms of working on a professional level, well, i suppose you could think of it like two teachers teaching the same class. one is in his 20's, fresh out of college, trying to reach the kids on a personal level so he can teach. the other has been teaching for 50 years, learned in a more professional format and is rather strict. while they COULD work together, it'd be an ordeal in itself.

btw, maybe think of another term besides "rebellious", since it feels like you're using it a bit much, dunno why. and plenty of -tans hang out with non-win-tans. ME and Kyourou, 2k and Sonata, and occasionally others, such as 3.1 and the vintage-tans and XP and TrendMicro-kun. so having her hang out with non-family is not a new concept. :\

otherwise, i like the name, glad you agree about the birthday (it just makes sense) and when i was referring to hair i was referring to a totally different 8-tan. :\
click to make it bigger