Main Menu

Old School

Started by svx, August 25, 2010, 01:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Since I'm not very old, the oldest cool computer thing I remember is "what? Mac versions have 3 numbers now?" and Cheetah-tan is like "yeah, d00d"

I also remember the intel transition!

I remember the Power Mac G3 being teh ultimate uberness.

I remember (and still have) my little flowery G3 iMac!
The endless hours of Nanosaur on my G3 iMac.

Legit Tetris on my Macintosh Se!

Aurora Borealis

I also remember when the G3 was uber awesome and cutting-edge, but that was shortly before the G4 debuted. LOL I was a bit behind the times! XD

^And remember when multitasking was optional on the Mac? :)

Red-Machine

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"^And remember when multitasking was optional on the Mac? :)

That's what you buy Windows for. XD
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Krizonar

Quote from: "Red-Machine"
Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"^And remember when multitasking was optional on the Mac? :)

That's what you buy Windows for. XD
Pffft, windows was a DOS shell when Mac had optional multitasking! :D /pets dos kitty

And yup, my Macintosh SE has the wondrous "multifinder" xp

Aurora Borealis

BWAHAHAHAHA!

From personal experience, System 6 is one of the most stable OSes I've ever used as long as the Multifinder isn't on. It's not good to have to sacrifice stability for multitasking!

Krizonar

My SE is stable regardless, I just leave the multifinder on. Never noticed a performance hit o.O
Even with it, it starts up in around 23 seconds. Guess it's adding about a second per year of age!

Bella

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"@Bella: How do you access those systems? I'm curious!

By entering the system's address into a terminal emulator, or on a *nix system, entering the address into BASH ("telnet address-goes-here"). Sometimes they require a username and address (either user-established or publicly provided by the system) and sometimes there's a fee to join (but typically not for the hobby systems).

Most of the shell accounts out there are Unix or Linux based, but there are hobby-oriented ones out there running exotic OSes one probably wouldn't have the chance to use any other way -- VMS, ITS, Tenex, RSTS and PR1MOS, among others.

svx

Duuude...

My brother just picked up an AWESOME old IBM computer with a 486 and everything. I'm stoked!

I'd really like to get a hold of the first computer we ever had, which was a Packard Bell something or other...  Ehh, too hard to remember. I was five years old or something.

Red-Machine

We had a Packard Bell, too.  I still have the spec sheet for it. XD
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

DUUUUUUDE! I'm an IBMophile. XD

stewartsage

*hits Bells with ax handle* Nothing to see here folks, just move along.

Chocofreak13

*hugs tanky* dun hit me, tanky's an IBM too ;___;

the oldest computer on premises is *gestures to left* Timmy. but he doesn't have a brain right now (he came with the motherboard and possibly one card installed, nothing more :\)

timmy's a "Tiger" brand computer (lolwut), saying it was made for 95/98 (pretty sure it's 95 but i'm too lazy to go check the fromt of the case right now--timmy's butt is facing me and he's acting as a table right now). planning on using Timmy as a legacy PC (win 95) or as a home for Emuii-tan (win ME).

always wanted a hackintosh......which reminds me! my teacher told me a story a few weeks ago:

he heard of a girl from my school who was walking through Harvard Yard one night, when she stumbles upon a Mac desktop, sitting in the grass with all its guts hanging out. She checks around to make sure it doesn't belong to anybody, and when she can't find anyone, she gathers up the parts and scoops it into her coat to carry it. but it's too heavy, so she ends up taking off her pants and slinging the computer over her back, taking it back to her dorm. she puts it back together the next morning, and it's a perfectly working Mac.

i am so jealous of this person. >___<;
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Quoteso she ends up taking off her pants
I don't think I understood this part. What moment of carrying a computer needs you to strip? >_>
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

it was too cumbersome for her to carry in her jacket. so (like the funny little robber people of anime) she put the computer in the pantlegs (i assume) and slung it over her back like a small child.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "stewartsage"*hits Bells with ax handle* Nothing to see here folks, just move along.

*Is resurrected as a zombie, proceeds to go on attempted brain-gnawing rampage* I know ALL modern PCs (and Intel Macs) are technically "IBM clones", but having that IBM name makes a computer so much more valuable in my eyes... same goes for Apples/Macs... *.*

Lolmacstripping.