Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

i meant THE CHARACTERS, NOT the program. ><; NEVER the program. the characters themselves were released for windows 7, which is why they're there.

moving on, gonna start on the os-kun articles i promised. :3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

@Kiso: I hope you don't mind the changes I made to the infobox. I wanted to get the images centered, but I don't know how to do that.

Chocofreak13

either way, the more info they have, the better, so change was needed. :3
click to make it bigger

Kiso

@Aurora: I really don't mind any changes at all. The purpose of the template is just that, to add/change the layout if you want to change the looks of tables. It is a good idea to have a mock-up template that's not use by other boards to have the changed worked out before implementing in the final template. Then it's just a matter of updating templates that have the missing/changed info.

As for the image thing, you need to use CSS code to align the contents of the cell to the center. I haven't typed up HTML code in a while (3D modeling's been a bitch to me), but I think I can fix that issue... if I could ever log back into the wiki. Do I still even have wiki privileges even? lol
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Aurora Borealis

Because of the forum migration around the new year, wiki editors need to re-apply for editing privileges.

See this thread to apply: http://ostan-collections.net/forum/index.php/topic,1410.0.html

Kiso

I knew there was something useful that I missed through the first half of the year. And now it all makes sense to moi. Thanks for the help... off to try and get that darn image to center align! :D

EDIT: There! Fixed!
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Aurora Borealis

Great! It looks better! :D

Some more updates:
*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Xenix: Added more detail, mainly to her backstory. *hint* There's a downer ending.*hint*

*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Amiga:Expanded on sections, will add backstory section and pictures later.

*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/GS/OS:Started adding character details. Before that, just the infobox was up.

Kiso

Now that this is out of the way, I have the need to ask...

Why do we keep a separate list of canon OS-tans? I don't have any issues with it, but I really am curious to know why have it. I think we had a conversation of this before, but I really don't remember what it was exactly and the thread about it is really big (too big to find stuff in it).

Also, we need to make them list for the various ~kuns... I guess I can get to that....

Aurora Borealis

I don't know exactly, but I think it's to show we still acknowledge the OS-tan canon, even with all the expanded and alternate universe interpretations made here.

Kiso

Oh... that makes sense. I guess none of the other tans will ever get to be featured on that list then, considering no one ever agreed to follow just one thing. People and disagreements.. they go hand in hand.

And I heard people were starting to make gijinka for Windows 8... so here we go again...

NejinOniwa

Essentially...

Pretty much all "facts" on the wiki (eg not theories and overlappances) and the various things worked on in the theory and world threads on the boards here, are /OSC/'s Canon. The "original" - or as I propose we call it, Nijiura Canon, on the other hand - depending on how hard your definition is - is pretty much what was here 5 years ago; raw imports of japanese works, with all their varying interpretations and patchwork facto.

I prefer ours over the old any day, if only for the fact that it makes some sense.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

i find it better to keep the line, because we didn't make the 'canon' ones, and that should be known. :\ (we can't take credit for nijiura's work, so it's better to keep the distinction.)

also, aurora, do you think we should finish updating the infobox, then start putting it into everyone's articles?

@kiso: not sure if i'm looking forward to that....maybe win 8 will end up like me and vista; i like the character, but hate the OS. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

The Futaba/Nijiura canon is confusing, one of the biggest differences is that our canon is all about the OS-tans, while in Futaba's, the OS-tans are just a few of their many many characters from various sources. When we mention the Futaba, or "original" canon here, we're just talking only about the OS-tans as they are portrayed in it.

@Choco: Are there still some things you want to add to the infobox?

Kiso

@Nejin & Aurora: I guess the consensus here is to "make sense" of them. I look at some of the Japanese designs and I feel like they are more like some guy weird pot fantasy of what he thinks the OS is, and the weirder ones only make me confused at them all. The guys at Nijiura are a bit more controlled than that, since they actually try to keep it as straight as possible (unlike the mess at the uploader site).

So I get from this that we're threading our own path. So I guess I agree with it, at least not to make a mess of it.

@Choco: Well, 8 is going to be MS' tablet push, so I guess most of the decisions made will be centered around that, and I do understand how that would piss off many people, especially if they change how they do stuff too much (like the start screen, which I correctly predicted/expected Windows 8 would have). As for the character... I think I saw one and I don't like it. Although I might be mistaken... hopefully.

Makes me want to go back into the mess of drawing one myself just for "rendering thoughts" sake and see if the Japanese lean towards something similar.

OT: The infobox hasn't been finished yet? I thought it was when I looked at it. I guess you want to add items to it?

Aurora Borealis

I'm able to make sense of some of the Futaba designs for Vista and 7, but many more of them don't make sense to me.

I like the infobox as it is, since I'm not sure what else to add. Any suggestions?