Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

I was just getting started on the multimedia section, and I know there are many more I just haven't gotten to adding. Which ones do you have?

Is anybody in much of a writing/typing mood?

Aurora Borealis

Chocofreak13

ugh, i wish i had more time. >__<

the template looks good, aurora-san. :3 and as for the multimedia, idk, i haven't looked over my mass pic load collection in awhile, but i'll let you know when i get to uploading everything.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Thanks for the lit template~ I'll get to work on mine. :D

Aurora Borealis

@Choco: Thanks! Let us know when you have stuff uploaded. :)

@Bella: Yay! To help you, and other editors, I added the usage code onto that template's page.

Aurora Borealis

Taking some cues from the OS-tan Theories thread, I expanded somewhat on the Setting article. What do you think so far?

Chocofreak13

i like it. :3 but i feel that you should mention that bill gates has been shown in the canon, giving stronger roots to the real-world theory.

and i can't shake the feeling that there was a 3rd world theory, but it might have been an offshoot of the cyberpunk theory. :\

also, shouldn't there be some mention of time? it's mostly unspecified but i've seen a few pictures of 95 and 3.1 depicted in taisho-era settings. :3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Those are really good points!

At this point, I wonder if I should remove the divisions between 'canon' and 'fanon' in the article, since the two have more in common setting-wise than I thought. Even in canon there were anachronisms like 3.1's and 95's attire and the settings they were in, and even then Microsoft and Bill Gates have been mentioned in that retro setting. In other words, even in canon, the OS-tanverse is a Retro Universe! :D

Bella

I still insist that anachronisms are specific to certain OS-tans and -tan cultures; and that the rest of the world isn't actually anachronistic. (For instance: Multics is dressed in Rococo-style attire because her handlers think it looks good on her, not because it's the style of the era).

Chocofreak13

when it all comes down to it, there will still be -tans who dress outside of their time period, just like people who don't like followng current trends. as far as i know, SAGE was depicted in military attire despite the fact that most -tans of the time tend to favour the eleganza extravaganza look (and i just totally stole that quote from rupaul *w*). this could be due to the fact that she's a military computer, not one made by a school or other private orginization, or it could just be that she's a stubborn one who refuses to give in to the trend.

to be honest, i've only liked using the term "canon" in referring to stuff about the -tans that's the general norm (the depiction of certian -tans, that the original -tans are japanese, etc). since they're fanmade, i think our theories and contributions have as much validity as futaba/nijiura's, especially given the fact that we've pretty much taken over them by now. :3

ever since the introduction of vistan and nanami, the setting in the "canon" seems to be more present; before them, the newest os was XP, and since the -tans really got their start around 2003, that means that XP had already debuted, meaning that anything made prior to things with vista could be considered in retrospect, since other than xp's release we don't have much information as to time. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Oh, okay. You two worded what I wanted to say about anachronisms better than I did. So they're stylistic and cultural choices among OS-tan groups then. ^^;

Chocofreak13

yes, but as with people it usually comes down to the individual. there will be conformists and non-conformists. :3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I updated the OS-tan infobox:

*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Template:OSinfobox

A WIP, also considered adding the following to the character details: height, hair color, eye color, bloodline/clan. And for technical details: predecessor, successor.

Chocofreak13

i'd like those added, especially for those that don't have a picture. ^^
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

That sounds good. I had always thought the infoboxes lacked detail.