OS-tans, Species, and Evolution

Started by Aurora Borealis, May 23, 2010, 12:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

./////////.; i'm not gonna say a word.

ANYHOO, PEOPLES. WE BE OT. PER KISO'S REQUEST I WILL HAUL THIS TRAIN BACK ON ITS TRACKS WITH JUST MY TWO HANDS~~~SUPAAAAHHHHH~~

lesee, people, we are only worrying about the BASICS(and not the vintage BASIC-tan) right now.

are people cool w/ the following catagories for OS classes?
Windows
Mac
Linux
Unix
DOS
Others

ps. if there was ever an OS romeo x juliet it would be kyourou x emuii. ^^
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Chocofreak13

alright, so that's seconded. all in favor?
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Kiso

We need to be looking out a few steps ahead into the road to make sure everyone comes ready to voice their opinion.

Am I right or am I wrong on this suggestion? *is only following where OP leads... but doesn't know where to...*
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

5/6. and kiso, to address your concerns, we are thinking only of the groundwork right now, no storyline, no "where does this -tan fall" ect ect.
just the BASICS, though everyone seems to be going off on random tirades.

so, do you vote yay or nay?
click to make it bigger

Exa

Actually, I think this kind of categorization makes sense, so I believe we can go on with that. I have no objections.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Kiso

@Chocofreak: I did say "yes" already? Well... let me make sure I do now then... yes! :D
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Chocofreak13

IT IS DONE.

OS-CLASSES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
WINDOWS
MAC
DOS
LINUX
UNIX
OTHERS

MOVING ON, NEXT TOPIC:
SOFTWARE CLASSES.

Application
Website
Program
Antivirus (could fall under program, so this one's up for debate)
Other (sidebar gadgets, ect)
click to make it bigger

Kiso

Instead of using "Software" as the group class... I'd suggest using "Applications/Programs". Why? Well... "software" is too redundant for it's general group word and may as well include OSes and all that. On the other hand, "application" and/or "program" are a bit more specific in that it basically asks "what does it do?"

Anyways, the above suggestion aside... I propose the following classes:

Web - More general for both browsers (Firefox, Safari, IE, etc.), engines (Trident, WebKit, Gecko, etc.) and actual pages and their internal widgets (since these are viewed/used through the browsers). ((Programs that can access or require a web connection, but do not actually browse/render the web, should probably not be in here.))

Office - We all know this one should include stuff like MS Office, OpenOffice.org and stuff related to them.

Security - This is for malware security suites such as Norton, AVG, Security Essentials and the like.

Creative/Design - Any suite/app that allows you to create/edit images, websites, magazines, and other stuff in 2D, 3D and audio. Adobe Creative Suite, Autodesk Maya and Vocaloid (yay MikuLuka!) would be great examples of this section.

Messaging/Chat - This is where all of those programs should be, you don't view the web through them you just communicate with other people. I guess this should include both text, audio and video.

Performance/Optimization - Tools that help a computer stay in tip-top shape.

Multimedia - Media consumption applications that allow you to just view, watch and/or listen to your stuff. Windows Media Player, iTunes, Winamp, Zune player, Windows Media Center (not the actual OS, mind you), Preview (that's from Mac OS), etc.)

Hmm... I guess that should about cover all of the things that are in my folder.