Main Menu

Dual-Boot

Started by IanDanKilmaster, February 21, 2010, 08:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

UPDATE: Old video card is not fail... I am -_-;.  I just figured out you have to set the default monitor in the BIOS first... /facepalm.  Of course, this is made only more confusing by the fact that you have to disable the integrated graphics beforehand if you want Windows to recognize it ><.

Anyhow, you're probably right about dual-booting with Windows, as it's the MBR that keeps Windows from installing to a slave drive.  I'm assuming if I were installing Windows to both the master and the slave drive it wouldn't matter since the master drive would already have the MBR the slave needs.

I've heard about dual-booting Linux with older Windows OSes before... I don't really know why it'd be a problem.

The Choice of a New Generation.

hachi

Well, the main issue i have had with dual booting with windows and Linux, is when you want to uninstall Linux.

Reverting back to the original windows boot loader is always a hassle.

Respectfully, I would never need to do that. But since I do not currently run a Anti-Virus; completely re-booting from zero is somewhat inevitable. Due to viruses and ad-ware obtained on the windows side.

Though i would like to run anti-virus software, the anti-virus is more cumbersome than beneficial. Constantly throwing up update messages and unknown file type pop-ups; weekly scans and back-ups, background scans that horde memory and time, it can drive a person crazy.

NejinOniwa

as for that: I never used antiviruses for longer periods before, but with the release of Panda Cloud antivirus (cloudbased and free), I've installed it on every computer I own or have worked on. Works like magic, account-based login but doesn't actually have to be connected to work, just to update definitions, only ever hassle I had was when installing it on my grandma's rig and that took a few minutes or so to solve.

Although I personally do run overspecced rigs on both desktop and laptop, I've never encountered any slowdown with any of them, or any other (and many of them considerably less powerful) I've used it on. I really recommend you to use it. (google for website)
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

hachi

thanks for the tip, i will definitely look into it