Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

were the stats for altair posted?
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

No, not yet. I'll type that up.

Bella

Unices and Linuces that get along with SCO-chan? None... that... I... can name off the top of my head...

Yeah, I'd no idea Xenix was so secure... I mean, a B2 rating?! Just for an example, Multics was rated B2 as well, Windows NT is C1, and OpenVMS is B1 and B3 and the highest rated is GEMSOS, a Multics-like that achieved A1. Back to the subject at hand, yeah, makes you wonder WHO Xenix crossed or where she went wrong. @@

I wondered how Altair-tan fit into all of this, thanks for filling me in. ^^

Any word on including misc. software and hardware-tan categories Aurora?

Aurora Borealis

Well, Xenix-tan was considered a traitor by the Unices, made worse by that she was loyal to the MS Family to the very end, even when the Family were turning to imperialist ambitions...

And ultimately, NT-tan's forces conquered the server market that was dominated by the Unices! However, I don't know if Xenix-tan lived to see that. About what year did she end up dying?

Her death caused by sabotage could have been a result of some of the hard-lined Unices working together to eliminate the 'traitor'. That is if they weren't too busy tearing each other apart!

As for the new categories, I'll see if I could add them in. For the original Annex Project, hardware and app-tans weren't (with just a few exceptions) included, but now that there are already plenty of hardware-based characters (particularly various historical mainframes) already included, sure why not? :)

But when it comes to hardware-tans/-kuns, it should mainly be limited to historical systems, because with modern systems, the roster could quickly get unwieldy! @_@

Chocofreak13

that is, unless we condense the brand into one particular -tan.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"Well, Xenix-tan was considered a traitor by the Unices, made worse by that she was loyal to the MS Family to the very end, even when the Family were turning to imperialist ambitions...

And ultimately, NT-tan's forces conquered the server market that was dominated by the Unices! However, I don't know if Xenix-tan lived to see that. About what year did she end up dying?

Her death caused by sabotage could have been a result of some of the hard-lined Unices working together to eliminate the 'traitor'. That is if they weren't too busy tearing each other apart!

As for the new categories, I'll see if I could add them in. For the original Annex Project, hardware and app-tans weren't (with just a few exceptions) included, but now that there are already plenty of hardware-based characters (particularly various historical mainframes) already included, sure why not? :)

But when it comes to hardware-tans/-kuns, it should mainly be limited to historical systems, because with modern systems, the roster could quickly get unwieldy! @_@

No idea when Xenix died, must've been near the end of the Unix Wars? 1993, 94 maybe?

Hmm, maybe they thought she might end up being more loyal to the MS-tans than the Unixes, and try to sabotage the Unixes to help the Windows-tans get a foothold in their market? </conspiracy theory>

There are some hardware and app-tans included, yes, (like a bunch of old mainframes, old electronic computers and a few program-tans), but those are the ones aligned with certain OS-tan factions. Maybe we should just add app and hardware-tans to the factions of OS-tans they'd be most likely allied with? For instance, Vi-kun would go in the LUC section, IBM 7090-kun would be with the deceased characters, and someone like Emacs-kun might be a wanderer (not so much in the literal sense, but because he's simply unaffiliated with any one OS-tan group). I agree that we should only add characters that already exist.

Quote from: "Kari"that is, unless we condense the brand into one particular -tan.

Non! This isn't Brand-tan Collections or Company-tan Collections, this is OS-tan Collections. It's hard to accurately condense an entire company into a single character, its much too ambiguous.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of >sigh< splitting GE 600/Honeywell 6000-kun into two separate characters. I don't like making redundant characters, but the more I research the two computers, the more different they become (ie, it goes a little deeper than a company change and name change). >.>;;;

Aurora Borealis

Great conspiracy theory! :)

Any other unlisted hardware and app characters? I'm losing track! ^^;

I agree it's too hard and less interesting to condense the hardware brands into single characters, for the most part. But with modern hardware lines having so many variations, it would be unwieldy to try and personify each specific variation!

Bella

Conspiracies, it's what I do best. >:3

Here's a short list of hardware and software-tans (in addition to the ones listed in the wiki:

Apps that exist in concept or depictions, and with known backstory:
-QED
-Apache HTTP Server
-Multics Regional Data Store or MRDS (undrawn as of yet, that should soon change)
-VisiCalc (also undrawn, concepts exist however)
-SIMMON
-TREE-META
Apps that have been visually depicted, but without backstory or other info:
-GreenDam
-VLC
-Chrome
-MS Excel
Hardwares that exist in concept or depictions and with established backstory:
-Honeywell Kitchen Computer
-Honeywell 6000
-GE 600
-FASTRAND II (memory unit)
-IBM 728 (memory unit)
-IBM 7090
-IBM Selectric (a typewriter, but modified versions were used as terminals)
-IBM 5100
-IBM Stretch
-Wang 2200
Hardwares that appear in drawn renditions, but without known backstory:
-G3 iMac http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/os-tans/Apple-Mac/normal_hard_005.jpg
-G4 (floating-display) iMac
-G5 iMac http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/os-tans/Apple-Mac/normal_1117545455843.jpg
-G4 Powerbook http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/os-tans/Apple-Mac/normal_1123807736380.jpg
-G4 Power Mac (?) http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/os-tans/Apple-Mac/normal_hard_001.jpg
-G5 Power Mac http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/os-tans/Apple-Mac/normal_1123205788525.jpg
-Aluminum iMac
-Dell Inspiron http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/os-tans/Other/normal_1114366978104.jpg
-Sony VAIO http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/os-tans/Other/normal_tw-vaio.jpg

I do agree that making -tans for each hardware variation is opening up a veritable Pandora's Box-- I think that a -tan should only exist for each major hardware change. Like the Macs above: a G3 iMac-tan, a G4 iMac-tan, a G5 iMac, etc. And somebody like IBM 7090-kun represents the entire 7090 line, and trust me, there were a lot of variations.

Of course, this is flexible when it comes to personal storylines: GE 600 and Honeywell 6000 could be the same character, but I think it'd work better it the two were split up into separate ones. (Since the GE 600-series computers were quite common and popular in the 60s, and hosted many different OSes. The Honeywell 6000-series is almost synonymous with Multics, I'm not sure if it ever ran any other OSes.)

Also, I'd be wary of adding any of the non-backstoried -tans to the Annex thread; it'd just be clutter getting in the way of other designs that exist as more than a one-shot. I just want to bring it to people's attention that there are a lot of hardware-tans floating around out there that potentially have use in stories and stuff. But until they are used, and their personalities developed, I'd be cautious about adding them.

Chocofreak13

i'll agree, it's unfair to rep an entire group with just one -tan. but shouldn't they be represented somehow?

then there are the ones who already made it through, like the dualcore-tans.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"i'll agree, it's unfair to rep an entire group with just one -tan. but shouldn't they be represented somehow?

then there are the ones who already made it through, like the dualcore-tans.

Yeah, if there's a hardware or software-tan you really want to draw, make it. But I wouldn't recommend populating the OS-taneverse with a bunch of vague concepts for characters we never plan on shaping fuller backstories or personalities for and who exist as only a name on a list.

Aurora Borealis

I'll only include apps and hardware that do have characterizations and backstory. Now we just need to place them into their proper factions.

Also, two new bios, leaders of the personal computer revolution!:

{{The benefactress to the Microsoft-IBM Family, sadly got exiled, but united with PC-DOS, Windows 1.0 and 2.0 at the Binteeji Renmei!}}
Name: MITS Altair 8800
aka: "Altair"
Debut: Jan 1975
Height: 137 cm
Weight: ?? kg
Eye Color: Red
Hair: White

Quick Facts:

-Credited for starting the personal computer revolution. (first commercially successful personal computer)
-Overconfident in her youth, but still prone to exaggerating things. (had hugely exaggerated hype from its developers)
-Intelligent but was self-destructive, withdrawn and melancholy. Her attitude has improved a lot since joining the BR though.
-Hobbies include working on model rockets and antique calculators.
-Was arch-rivals with IMSAI 8080, who she wanted to knock out of the competition.
-Ended up causing her own near-demise and lost against IMSAI in terms of popularity.
-Was friends with Apple I and Xenix.
-Was the benefactress and an honorary member of the Microsoft-IBM family, but had to leave in 1981.
-Spent over 20 years as a wanderer in various hardships and obscurity.
-Joined the Binteeji Renmei in recent years, and reconciled with IMSAI 8080.
-Is much happier now that she has retired, making new friends, and feeling like she can redeem herself.
-Wears a long blue+silver gown with a white bow and red pearls around the collar.

{{Possibly the only character from the 70's personal computer revolution that hasn't retired!}}
Name: IMSAI 8080
aka:
Debut: Dec 1975
Height: 142 cm
Weight: ?? kg
Eye Color: Violet
Hair: White

Quick Facts:

-Usually has a stoic and edgy attitude, but can also be kind to others.
-A good tactician, skilled with modern technology and has connections to important information networks. (The original IMSAI 8080 is still supported by its parent company, and a modernized version is being made)
-A former megalomaniac, in her prime she was a military engineer who led over her territory with a dictatorship, with plans of mind control and world domination.
-Was arch-rivals with Altair, but both faded into obscurity by the early 80's.
-Lost out to user-friendlier competitors (i.e: PET, Apple II) and nearly met her demise due to faulty technology.
-DR-DOS's childhood friend and mentor, who she inspired to be ambitious and powerful, though with unintended consequences she regrets.
-Felt hopeless as a wanderer, joined the CIOST in the early 2000's which gave her new feelings of hope along with the desire to improve herself and help others, especially fellow underdogs.
-Helps the various CIOST members stay in contact with each other.
-Friends with BeOS, MenuetOS and Apple III, DR-DOS, and has also reconciled with Altair in recent years.
-Has her hair decorated with a teal headband and alternating red and blue hair clips.
-Her outfit is modeled after the IMSAI 8080's color scheme, notably her long-sleeved shirt is modeled after the layout of the red+blue switches on the front.

Chocofreak13

yay!

....aw. mine look so crappy compared to yours. ;___;

btw, can i claim the honeywell kitchen computer? she sounds like she's made of lawls. xD
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Sure! Here's a pic of her. Yeah! She's a very silly character!

But kinda tragic though. Not one unit sold!

Awww... We're just using different art styles and programs with different approaches. But I think my icons just can't compare to yours in terms of cuteness!

Bella

Wowza, OpenVMS and OpemVME are lookin' sharp -quite literally- Aurora! :D The latter's eyebrows look a little on the heavy side, but that might just be the glasses. Shouldn't be one to talk though, I've never been fond of the pencil-thin eyebrow trend on women (full eyebrow pride!)

Your avis aren't crappy Choco... in fact, that last set contained, perhaps, the highest concentration of cute I've ever seen in a single OS-tan related piece. You have a wonderful, fun, unique style and are willing to draw outside the OS-tan "canon", and that makes you very special. ^^