OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

AAAAAUGH! I fail again!

So, CP/CMS is a true MIT, and stayed part of the MIT culture, but not her daughter VM/CMS? How come she gave up her daughter to them?

BTW, what happened to CP/CMS? She's still in The Guild, but who does she pledge her loyalty to? Same question for VM/CMS.

I re-read CTSS's wiki article and now remember she was involved only slightly with the IBMs, but didn't like them and was definitely an MIT all the way, and that CP/CMS, another MIT worked for them.

Ooooh! I see a parallel between SAGE and VMS!

I also got confused about PDP-1 because I thought it was the other way around, that she spent her time at DEC and barely spent anytime with Whirlwind... @_@

*re-reads PDP-1's wiki article*

So I did get those mixed up. x__x PDP-1 is the matriarch and founder of the DECs, but TOPS-10 was the leader.

I thought Snow Leopard would be the leader of the House of Mac because she's the current Mac-tan. (Lion has yet to be released)

But then again, quite a few of the Macs don't seem like leader types, but presumably ruled by the virtue of being the next heiress in line. :-/

Chocofreak13

wait, we're thinking either tiger or snow leopard is the leader?

if i had to pick one from what you guys told me, it'd be system 7.5. she may be outdated, but she has the fervor to keep rallying the troops, like 95 to the windows.

if not, then i'd say system 7.5 and OSX-tan, in the same way as 95 and NT-tan. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I could see OSX-tan as being a leader, and having to share that leadership with Tiger-tan. Those two get in power struggles all the time.

95 and NT aren't technically the Windows leaders anymore, but they are both matriarchs and still influential, 95-tan in particular who still has enough clout to assert authority over the younger generation Windows-tans.

System 7.5-tan is a wanderer, and pretty disgruntled but still visits the Mac House from time to time. Not wanting to leave the Classics out of potential leadership, Mac OS 9-tan is something of an informal leader, or more of a cheerleader and big sister figure who cheers her comrades on.

Three new bios of assorted OS-tans:

QuoteName: Harvard Mark III
debut: 1949
clan: Harvard
height: 169 cm (~5'6.5")
weight: ?? kg
eye color: gold
hair: brown

faction: deceased

-Was the fastest computer for her time.
-Was outpaced, and lamented her fall from that status.
-Cheered up though with the help of her family.
-Friendly, cheerful, scatterbrained and has a passion for playing the drums.
-Was a naval captain, but dresses in Continental Army uniforms and wears her hair in large hair curlers.
-Can process great amounts of information at once, yet turning a page in a book is mentally taxing to her.

Update: This bio has been updated.

Quotename: DEC Rainbow 100
aka: Rainbow
debut: 1982
clan: DEC
height: 148 cm (4'10")
weight: ??kg
eye color: blue
hair: pink

faction: CIOST? Wanderer?

-Has always struggled with an identity crisis.
-The home computer-tan among the DECs.
-Wants to be professional and conform to IBM compatible standards while still being a non-comformist.
-Never got promoted above cadet rank, many of her campaigns failed due to short-sightedness.
-Is a great multi-tasker, likes to write and draw, and has a zen-like attitude towards life.
-Wears her old DEC uniform jacket with frilly dresses and colorful hair ribbons.
-Friends with Amiga, Windows 1.0, TOPS-10 and TOPS-20.
-Wants to be an apprentice to VMS, but is merely tolerated by the CIOST.

Quotename: Cray-1
debut: 1976
clan: Cray (founder/matriarch)
height: 213 cm (7'0")
weight: ??kg
eye color: silver
hair: light blue

faction: Mainframe Guild

-Considered the first supercomputer-tan, and was the most powerful of the Mainframes when she debuted.
-Aristocratic, emotionally abrasive and belligerent, but lacked self-sufficiency at first.
-Often had to rely on her hired assistant RDOS for help (a Data General Nova was used as the maintenance control unit of the early Cray-1 model) until she became self-sufficient.
-Acquainted with the Data General family, became friends with them out of gratitude.
-Rivals with most of the CDC-tans, who saw her as a traitor (except for SCOPE. Seymour Cray left CDC and created the Cray company and computers afterwards)
-Hates/hated the Unices, who conquered her territory and forced her to convert to her ways (original OS replaced by UNICOS, a UNIX variant).
-Imposed very strict, overachieving ideals on her daughter, Cray-2.
-An artist and sci-fi fanatic (a Cray-1 was used in producing "TRON"), admits to liking cheesier sci-fi.
-Still emotionally cold and stoic, but has become more down-to-earth and feels bad pushing her daughter too far.
-Wears her hair in a long wavy ponytail with a metallic headdress.
-Wears a futuristic-looking silver gown decorated with color-changing panels, a corset, a hoopskirt and long gloves.

Bella

Something. Isn't sitting quite right with me when it comes to Harvard Mk. III-tan. I can't figure out what exactly though.

Ouch, must've been tough for Rainbow-chan being an IBM-compatible DEC-tan. Why does everyone want to be an apprentice to VMS-tan? (Rhetorical question: we all know it's because she's so cool.) ~w~

Annnd I learned a bunch of new things about Cray 1-sama. ^^

Chocofreak13

i agree about Harvard Mark III....but i can't put my finger on it. I might be getting her confused with another Harvard-tan, but could it be the bubbly, semi-rebellious personality? :\

Love the Rainbow profile~~

the first thing i thought when i saw Cray 1's profile was "DAMN IS SHE TALL." but being a super-computer, i guess that's fitting. what ever happened to RDOS after Cray 1 didn't need her anymore? and it's good to hear that she feels some remorse about over-pushing her daughter. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

@Bella: Did I mess something up in Mark III's profile?

Of course that's a rhetorical question! VMS's badassery is known far and wide in the OS-tanverse, isn't it? I don't know how the high-ranking VMS would actually feel towards Rainbow, but might not like that Rainbow is friends with TOPS-20 since TOPS-20 and VMS dislike each other.

Another thing I forgot to mention about Cray-1 is that she wields ice-based powers, and she -used- to be the belligerent type. Back in her prime, it was considered a honor to be acknowledged by her.

@Choco: Once she became self-sufficient, she didn't need any assistants other than her engineers, but she stayed friends with the Data General-tans, and it was from them that she first learned the qualities of gratitude and compassion to others!

Chocofreak13

nice to hear~! ^^

but i still wonder what became of RDOS. did she go on to help someone else, or just die alone? :[
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

RDOS-tan is still alive, she's in the CIOST and may still be helping others. She's also influential too- the computer system that RDOS ran on (the Data General Nova) influenced the designs of the Altair and Apple I!

Chocofreak13

ooo! so she's like a higher-up DOS. does she have any ties to the DOSSE? :3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

She's a DOS in name only (though with her pigtails and glasses, she also resembles one). That was a very common name back then, DOS wasn't just the x86 DOSes (MS-DOS, PC-DOS, etc.), but there was also Atari DOS, Apple DOS, Amiga DOS, DOS/360... Unrelated, but it was a popular trend in system names back then.

I'm not sure if she's acquainted with the DOSSE since I still don't know much about her character yet, but I would imagine she'd have sympathy for them (and relating to their obscurity, and how easily they're overlooked). ^^;

Bella

@Kari: As it says in the imaginary Big Book of Amazing OS-tan Facts, "DOS is a very popular given name among OS-tans - perhaps no other moniker has as much cross-cultural appeal as that of Disk Operating System. It can be found in use among cultures as divergent as the mainframes, minis- and microcomputers, especially the latter; its peak in popularity was during the 1980s and has since fallen out of common usage."

@Aurora: I don't think you messed up Mk. III-tan's profile; maybe it's just because there isn't a lot of info/backstory for her yet. : \

By the end of DEC (or shortly thereafter) VMS and TOPS-20 had made nice; I'm guessing VMS would treat Rainbow the same way she treats most of her fangirls/boys (and most people in general), with mild ambivalence.

Chocofreak13

it's weird that they'd have the name DOS and not be at least acquainted with the DOSSE. :\ maybe it WAS just a marketing gimmick, but if that's true, then why have the DOSSE and not have it be for command-line -tans only? :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

The DOSSE does allow command line-only OS-tans as honorary members to raise more awareness on how CLI-only OSes can still be relevant.

And here's a character concept for Cray-2-tan:

-Born in 1979, debuted in 1985.
-Hot-headed, pressured by Cray-1 to be an overachiever, but suffered many setbacks and tough competition.
-Has had to be rebuilt multiple times due to design problems.
-Feels like a failure, unable to meet Cray-1's standards. (also keep in mind that the Cray-1 was designed for optimum efficiency and maximize performance.)
-Overheats easily, always carries a cooling tank of water or is seen in the water. (The Cray-1 also had to be liquid cooled and did have some setbacks related to that, but not as nearly as badly as the Cray-2 did.)
-May be trigger-happy.
-nicknamed "Bubbles" for the cooling tanks. (Lots of running gags, including "No Fishing" signs, and putting plastic fish the tank)
-An excellent multitasker with fast memory.
-Worked for the Departments of Defense and Energy, nuclear weapons research and sonar development.
-Doesn't mind practical jokes.
-Might still be alive, either as a Mainframe or Wanderer.

appearance: Hairstyle similar to Cray-1's, but with dark blue hair, dark grey eyes, wears a 19th century-style swimsuit in black with blue panels, can shapeshift into a mermaid (most efficient way to live in the water!).

Update: A Cray-2 design was created with a few changes: https://www.ostan-collections.net/forum/index.php/topic,1819.0.html

Chocofreak13

sounds pretty. i'd like to see pictures of them (since it's hard to visualize right now ^^; ). :3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I'll get to drawing a concept for her.

I added the latest Annex bios to the wiki.

Here are three 'new' bios, adapted from their concept bios from the other thread.

Name: Lubuntu-tan
aka: "Lulu-chan"
debut: ?
height: 163 cm (5'4")
eye color: Amber
hair: Black
faction: either LUC or Wanderer

Quick Facts:

-Friendly, modern and vibrant.
-An Ubuntu-wannabe.
-Borrows a lot, but still considers herself independent.
-Resourceful and optimistic, able to run on bare-bones systems.
-Knowledgeable (comes equipped with a lot of programs)
-Has black hair done up in ringlets.
-Wears a navy-colored sailor-style dress with a Lubuntu logo and bow in front.
-Gets upset when people comment on how she looks like a 1940's cartoon character.

Name: AIX-tan
aka:
debut: 1986
height: ?? ? cm
eye color: ?
hair: Dark green w/ lighter green streaks
faction: Linux/Unix Consortium

Quick Facts:

- Has an analytical no-nonsense mind (AIX is optimized for IBM'S DB2 database)
- Highly security-oriented. (has very strict security options)
- Is cautious towards others, but mistaken for paranoid.
- Helpful to those she trusts.
- Admires Multics, and strongly takes after her.
- Good friends with OS400/IBM i-tan and Linux (OS400 can run natively on POWER hardware, and IBM propagates Linux for POWER)
- Extremely powerful, operates really large computers.
- Can multiply herself (AIX's ability to create WPARS and LPARS)
- Has close ties to the US government (all over AIX are special instructions for government use)
-Mainly wears business suits, and has a POWER tattoo.
- Has abandoned her 32-bit roots lately (AIX runs only on 64-bit CPUS since version 6.1)

Name: ZX-81-tan
aka: Timex Sinclair 1000
debut: Mar 1981
height: 130 cm (4'3")
weight:  29 kg (64 lb)
eye color: Red
hair: Black
faction: Binteeji Renmei

Quick Facts:

-Small, thin and very frail.
-Frequently pushes herself to her limits.
-Older sister to ZX Spectrum and Sinclair QL.
-Wears a long black+white dress and has short black hair, red eyes and a ZX-81 brooch.
-Miserly. Does not like to use much of anything.
-Tsundere-ish, can be very harsh, at times mistaken for sadistic. (one screw up, and your program is lost.)
-A teacher to many, despite her harshness towards others, has had a loyal following of students willing to stick to her rules.
-Taught her students, and her younger sisters to be highly resourceful.
-Gets along best with minimalist OS-tans.
-Shows discontent towards most modern OS-tans for their inefficient use of resources.