Main Menu

More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on November 01, 2011, 09:32:13 PM
I'd say she was probably trained at Mass General, as a nurse, since that's one of the few things MIT can't handle in house.  That probably gave her a pretty good understanding of how to interact with humans/people in general.  I'd also say she's probably more effusive/affectionate then Whirlwind-hime is.

Unrelated: 4000th post

Your proposals have been added to my list of notes for MTC~

Congratulations on your 4000th post!

Hard to believe it was only two years ago that you joined... ^^

Bella

*Sigh* Since EVERYONE has become allergic to this thread, I guess I have to doublepost again.

Been thinking of making a System/360-kun lately, 'specially since all the System/360 OS-tans have been done (Except for ORVYL, nobody will ever make an ORVYL-tan...)

Initial thoughts:
-A large, brawny chap (sizable, powerful mainframes)
-Not particularly intelligent (/360s were considered backward by the academic community)
-Despite being kind of dull, he's a fairly competent businessperson/leader (/360s were mostly business computers)
-Doesn't really like any -tan who's not an IBM.
-Popular with the IBM ladies, possibly to the point of having a harem (has a lot of in-house OSes that run on it)
-Dresses in outlandishly 60s/70s fashions (Have you ever seen a /360? THEY ARE SO 70s IT HURTS.)
-Probably dead now (oddly there are no complete, working System/360s in existence, despite being a very popular computer.) Unless he lives through emulation...

Relationships with other IBM-tans:
OS/360: Close friend and colleague, he knew how to get along with her without provoking too many violent reactions.
DOS/360: Probably his boss (isn't DOS/360-tan the leader of the /360-family?), he may not have worked with her as much as OS/360 but they were probably closer (due to DOS/360 being less crazy...)
TOS/360: He's genuinely scared of her.
BOS/360: Liked to take care of her, tried to make her happy to little avail, was heartbroken when she died.
TSS/360: Because of her fragile physical and mental state, he's nervous to get close to her because of what happened to BOS-tan.
MUSIC/CP and MTS: ? ? ?
Selectric: Views /360-kun as a prime example of IBM idiocy and xenophobia and treats him with a mix of barely-contained contempt and condescension.
IBM 728-kun: Wonders how /360-kun can get all the women when he can't even get one.

OH GOD I WANT TO WRITE SYSTEM/360 HAREM FANFIC SO BADLY NOW. ;___;

Aurora Borealis

Sounds like an interesting character. He might a Genius Ditz, with business being the thing he isn't ditzy at.

Curiously, I found out about this on a TV Tropes wiki walk, but on the Real Life examples of Restraining Bolt, the System/360 computer was mentioned- upgrading to a higher-end /360 involved a technician cutting a wire which would enable the advanced features. I'd see /360-kun as having multiple restraining bolts or power limiters on him, and he would only use his full power when absolutely necessary.

His interactions with BOS/360: Awwww.... :(

Somewhat surprised he is/was scared of TOS/360- I thought maybe he'd be able to intervene when she had another violent episode. Or maybe that was OS/360's job since she was the only person TOS/360 didn't hate. ^^;

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on November 19, 2011, 10:54:14 PM
Sounds like an interesting character. He might a Genius Ditz, with business being the thing he isn't ditzy at.

Yeah, he has so much comic potential, I'm itching to write something up... >v<

I hadn't thought of it, but yes, that trope does seem to fit him well. ^^

QuoteCuriously, I found out about this on a TV Tropes wiki walk, but on the Real Life examples of Restraining Bolt, the System/360 computer was mentioned- upgrading to a higher-end /360 involved a technician cutting a wire which would enable the advanced features. I'd see /360-kun as having multiple restraining bolts or power limiters on him, and he would only use his full power when absolutely necessary.

I didn't know that, very interesting. : o Somehow I'm envisioning his business jacket, shirt and tie being his "restraints", and when he really needs to use his powers (which is literally the brute physical power of his body) he has to shed it... probably by tearing it off of himself. (Much to the swoonage of any IBM-tans nearby, lol.)

QuoteHis interactions with BOS/360: Awwww.... :(

Somewhat surprised he is/was scared of TOS/360- I thought maybe he'd be able to intervene when she had another violent episode. Or maybe that was OS/360's job since she was the only person TOS/360 didn't hate. ^^;

I just have a gut feeling that he would be absolutely scared for his life/safety/sanity when it comes to dealing with TOS/360-tan... let me put it this way, if his life was, indeed, a harem manga, she would be the yandere of the group. @_@

stewartsage

You said you had already done ORVYL and WILBUR so I skipped them!

OS/360 is the family leader.  Despite the crazy, she is the flagship of the family.  DOS/ is loyal pretty much only to her, which is another important factor to her remaining in power.

Yeah, TOS/ is nuts.  Nuts (except for her fanatic devotion to OS/360).  Oh god, I created the perfect set up for a harem series, didn't I?  Dead girlfriend (BOS), Yandere (TOS), Ill girl (TSS), Ojou (OS), Class President (DOS), Cool Big Sis (MTS),  Meido (VM/CMS), Hot Teacher (Music/CP).... I swear I didn't mean to!

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on November 20, 2011, 09:42:25 AMYou said you had already done ORVYL and WILBUR so I skipped them!

By "done them" I mean I once had a conversation with C-chan about two characters who are probably bro/sis or husband/wife.... I DID NOT DO THEM.

Quote from: stewartsage on November 20, 2011, 09:42:25 AMOS/360 is the family leader.  Despite the crazy, she is the flagship of the family.  DOS/ is loyal pretty much only to her, which is another important factor to her remaining in power.

Yeah, TOS/ is nuts.  Nuts (except for her fanatic devotion to OS/360).  Oh god, I created the perfect set up for a harem series, didn't I?  Dead girlfriend (BOS), Yandere (TOS), Ill girl (TSS), Ojou (OS), Class President (DOS), Cool Big Sis (MTS),  Meido (VM/CMS), Hot Teacher (Music/CP).... I swear I didn't mean to!

OH MY GOD THIS IS SO EXPLOITABLE.

COMMENCE HAREM COMEDY!

Bella

WE (read: Stew) MUST MAKE AN ORVLY-TAN AND ACP-TAN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORVYL_and_WYLBUR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airlines_Control_Program

I'M DRAWING A /360 OS-TAN GROUP SHOT, SO TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE HERE PEOPLE!!!!

Bella

Some concepts for more PDPs: This time, the PDP-1-decended PDP-tans.

PDP-3:
-A genetically modified clone of PDP-1-tan (a PDP-1 with a 36-bit address instead of an 18-bit)
-Created by the CIA
-Works in reconnaissance
-Has the ability to see in radar (used process radar cross-sections) and may be blind to all but radar wavelengths
-Lived in Waltham, Mass, but likely never had any interaction with her DEC family
-Dead (only one -3 ever made)
-Physically resembles PDP-1 but more mature and taller, has strange/unnerving eyes which are constantly covered with opaque black sunglasses.

PDP-4:
-Clone of PDP-1-tan
-Personality is that of a slower, simpler PDP-1-tan
-Not as brilliant as her sister but possibly more competent at practical tasks
-Worked with PDP-5 at an atomic research reactor
-Physically resembles PDP-1, dresses more simply, no glasses.

PDP-7:
-PDP-4's daughter and successor
-Unix's step-mother/creator
-Gained infamy for her role in Unix's creation.
-Looks somewhat like PDP-tan but more mature, silverish-blue hair, very large, light-colored eyes

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on January 04, 2012, 12:20:50 AM
So PDP-7-tan is very innocent-minded, just wanting someone to play with, though when she created Unix, she ended up with a lot more than she bargained for!

PDP-7 is fairly innocent-minded, but certainly not naive - she IS a direct descendant of PDP-1-tan, but has a more mature mindset than her ancestor (teenager in mind/body, as opposed to the childish PDP-1). I see her as being very warm and have a mix of maternal and older-sisterly feelings toward Unix - she would have tried to "shield" her from GECOS and others who wanted to exploit Unix's (potential) abilities for their own gains, but wouldn't have had the standing or power to stop them (PDP-7-tan was rather poor and low-ranked within whatever social hierarchy she was in.)

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on January 04, 2012, 12:20:50 AMToo bad that she wasn't Unix's mentor. If she were, do you think Unix would have been a lot more well-adjusted?

Not sure Unix would have turned out completely well-adjusted, but I believe she would have been cast in the mold of the other hacker/academic OSes of the day (ITS-san is probably a good template for how she would have turned out, since ITS-san shares a similar heritage with Unix and was also a humble little OS-tan raised by hackers and DEC hardware-tans). I imagine Unix would have turned out with a lot of the same personality traits - inferiority complex and jealously/fear of Multics included - but would have lacked the outwardly violent streak and perhaps been able to keep her emotions better in check. That said, she probably STILL would have caused the demise of Multics and most OS-tan cultures that came before her, although in this scenario, it would have been largely, if not totally, accidental.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on January 04, 2012, 12:20:50 AMConsidering that Unix became the enemy of the DECs, I'm guessing that PDP-7-tan was dishonorably discharged. Where would she be now?

I'm almost certain that none of the hardware-tans are in the DEC military (save PDP-1-chan, who joined to show camaraderie with the DEC OS-tans and get more excitement in her life). Whether the DEC hardwares are ABOVE or BELOW the DEC OS-tans and their military structure is up to debate (in fact, I think the hardware-tans were socially-superior to the OS-tans in the DEC culture, while Stew believes the opposite), but what I'm getting at is that it would have been impossible for PDP-7-tan to be discharged from an organization she wasn't even a part of.

Chocofreak13

i believe it was mentioned at one point that we were considering making -tans of fake computers (from tv shows and such). i had another one to add to the list, the WOPR (pronunced "Whopper") from the movie WarGames.

i would picture him (yes, it seems more like a him) as holding great power but being very immature about it. As the movie is about how this computer (who is programmed to think constantly about the potential of WW3) takes its job too seriously and starts to see everything as a game, going so far as to shoot missiles at everything, it seems that WOPR-kun would never be able to take ANYTHING seriously, instead remaining a prankster with deadly consequences. (compare to the Joker, only with less dark, twisted past and less psycho. WOPR wouldn't know he was doing anything wrong, since EVERYTHING is a game to him.)

figured i'd post this before i forgot about it.
click to make it bigger

Bella

I just started watching WarGames, weird... : o

Anyway, WOPR-kun sounds like the absolute inverse of Mertvaya Ruka... that's all I really have to say on him atm, on account of not being familiar with the fictional computer system he's based off in question. ^^;

Chocofreak13

what was ruka's personality again? i've been watching the movie since it came on, so i can glean this so far;

WOPR-kun:
(aka Joshua)
-American
-Has access to various forms of deadly warfare, most notably Nuclear Warheads
-Does not understand the concept of Futility
-Knows how to play various games, some peaceful, some not so much
-Doesn't know when to give up
-Doesn't realize the impact that War Games have on the planet (as in firing missiles has concequences)
-Lighthearted Prankster
-Very mechanical in his ways (your stereotypical 80's robot voice and all)
-Stubborn (when missiles failed to launch, he worked on generating the correct codes to launch the missiles himself)
click to make it bigger

Bella

Ruka has the power of the ENTIRE EX-SOVIET/NOW RUSSIAN ARSENAL yet is level-headed, down-to-earth, extremely rational and pragmatic and oh heck just read her article - http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Mertvaya_Ruka

Chocofreak13

well, in that respect WOPR is like Ruka's counterpart, only that he's less sane/stable. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Just got to the end of WarGames, and I'm confused.... why does a srsbsns defense computer even have games installed on it? /attemptingtoapplylogictofiction