Main Menu

More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

Er, it's complicated.  Probably/possibly because IBM wanted to prevent anyone investigating whether or not they cheated to beat Kasparov.  Or because she didn't really have much long range purpose beyond being a chess playing computer; either way euthanized would be the best term I suppose. 

Chocofreak13

the whole reason i looked this up is because i saw it on 1000 ways to die. one of the computers killed a man via electrified chessboard.

i'm watching the clip now, it turns out the computer was called the Comrade 5000, and it played (and killed) a man in 1977.

http://www.spike.com/video/end-game/3506369
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on January 19, 2011, 10:22:33 PM
Why was Deep Blue dismantled?

probably so no one could steal it (don't know how anyone could do that though because of its size but you never know how far a person might go to do something like that) or print the data log since IBM didn't want to show them until later.

NejinOniwa

Quotestealing a mainframe
DID SOMEONE JUST HERP? CUZ I THINK I HERD A DERP.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

i thought you'd like this, nej. sociopathic, chess playing, murderous russian super computer. >:3
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

BUT IT'S NOT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY >:[

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

The usual region-blocking. Standard "we're sorry this isn't available in your country herp" derp video comes up instead. AND IT'S NOT ON 'TUBE EITHER. IRAGE. >:[

Chocofreak13

;___;

EDIT: i tried to embed it in the post but html coding is disabled here apparently so sorry. :[
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39jtNUGgmd4
thought you guys would like this, made me feel proud to get their certification.

Chocofreak13

i lvoe IBM. <3 the thinkpad came out the year i was born. ^^ i have one from 98', and it runs like it's brand new. it's a fricken' tank. of course, i'd expect ibm to make a quality product. <3

here's to a hundred more years of TMC, or IBM if you prefer. <3

ps. according to wiki, the company that would become ibm was founded in 1896, making the company actually 115 years old. ^^
click to make it bigger

Bella

I just want to know why the hell SAGE and AN/FSQ weren't mentioned, considering that those are among the most impressive systems IBM any computer manufacturer has ever created.

Then again, those might've only been IBM in construction - with most of the design work done by MIT - cause there's no way IBM could have come up with something so inventive by themselves. Which raises another set of larger and even rage-ier questions....

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

I WILL NEVAR CALM DOWN!!!11!!!!11

In fact, so enraged am I that I swapped out my IBM-centric sig for something a bit more... regional. >>

NejinOniwa

AND you swapped your avatar to something more...well. Whaddya call that? Naval? _W_