More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

New post to keep things in line.

THIS POST ON THE CHARACTER DESIGN ON MERTVAYA RUKA
First of all, keep in mind that I did this with no respect at all to any sort of anatomical correctness (since I suck so greatly at drawage in the first place, I didn't bother this time) of her body. Yes, she has a franken-hand, but that's supposed to be the "Dead Hand" hand - more on that later.

Her basic outfit is almost a clean copy of the Russian army jacket, with slight alteration: instead of the laurels on the collar, I changed it to the crossed arrows of the Russian Federation Strategic Rocket Forces' insignia (since I presume this is the Rod she belongs to) in a slightly original design. Other than that, I haven't thought much up - I suppose you could change colors (instead of the army green) on the jacket or something - the sword-and-shield/sunburst/whatever that round thing is of the SRF's insignia is hung around her neck like a medallion, and the enormous coat is supposed to be a bearskin coat (and thus brown and fluffy).

The clothing aside, my main point of the design is her appearance and facial features - the short platina/white hairdo, the ENORMOUS eyebags and her generally looking like someone who's been sleeping yet missing out on sleep for the last 2 decades or so (since that is effectively what she has been doing).

A few additions to her personality list:
The thing with her hiding her normal hand in her pockets is a bit of thing with her, as she was born in a bunker and maint'ed by an all-male staff (as neither Soviet nor Russian armies have/had female conscripts) and thus has a pretty skewed look at the entire sense of female-ness. I'm thinking her reasoning would be something in the line of; "Sure, it might not work properly, but at least my right hand is the right size. The other one looks like a baby hand, none must be let to see!" or something. I'm also thinking the same for her chest - she's not a complete pettanko, and while she may not be the most well-endowed of the OS-tans, it's enough to make it quite obvious. The solution? Sarashis. Or the like. Lots of them.

As for her face looking like a creepy emo ghost or whatnot, the "bunker kid" stuff does that to you, I'd say.

QUESTIONS NAO, KTHX
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

NejinOniwa

THIS POST IN RESPONSE TO BELLA, AND SCREW DOUBLES
Quote from: "Bella Labs"True. Like I said before (somewhere else, not in that quote you used), I don't think she'd be certifiably insane or anything, but my vision of her is far from totally emotionally together, either.

So she's all there mentally (and thus, competent), but emotionally she's a little... or perhaps a lot... off.
This goes pretty well together with the "Bunker Kid" image of her, so yeah. Her appearance gives it all away, too. -w-
Quote from: "Bella Labs"I think you've hit on an important point here...

Mertvaya Ruka was built to "cool down all the hotheads", and Mertvaya-tan's personality should follow suit. I get that now.

BUT... there's a difference between being able to cool down hotheads, and being one of these cool-heads yourself. Perhaps, like a heavy-handed father who yells at his children threatening punishment if they don't behave, Mertvaya-tan's method of keeping the peace wasn't particularly peaceable.

Sometimes it takes the threat of unleashing hell to keep people under control -- and I see Mertvaya-tan as having more of a "if you start something with them I will have to end it with HORRIBLE RESULTS"-mindset than a "can't we just talk this out like reasonable adults?"-type.

Also like to point out that I see her as being more VENGEFUL than AGGRESSIVE -- her job was not only to "keep the peace" under threat of nuclear annihilation, but launch a retaliatory strike should her Motherland be attacked.
The vengeful thing is good, I suppose - I'd rather write it as unforgiving, though, because that's more the spirit I'm looking for, here.
As for her methods and mindset, that direction seems likely - just don't let it go too far, though. She should still be plenty able to keep herself cool in most situations - like a bear, though, her temper is plenty unpredictable, and she goes pretty loud and crazy when she gets mad. So yeah - shouting down the kremlins in their boots seems like a good job for her.
Quote from: "Bella Labs"
You know, this actually meshes almost perfectly with my own ideas for her appearance-- light wavy hair, light eyes, the overcoat and uniform, so I don't think I'll be making many changes to your design when I draw her. Well, might lengthen her uniform coat a bit... as anyone who's seen my military-tans can attest, I DO love going overboard with creative uniforms. -v-
See post on character design. But it seems like we'll be able to get along on this one.

Also: another interesting thing is that the SRF has gone through 3 commanders the 3 last years. Turbulent times, and so we might have some of this reflect on our dear Mertvaya, no?

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

I know I'm a bit late in the game on this post, but Nej -- those are excellent ideas for Mertvaya-san. I especially like her gender roll-confusion, but it makes sense considering she was raised entirely by men.

Anyhoo, I feel like making:
-VAX-kun/tan (VMS-sama's badass NH-ite[?] companion)
-IBM PC-tan (MOTHER OF ALL PCS~)
-MUMPS-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUMPS
-and PTS (Paper Tape System)-tan (an early PDP 11 OS -- it was surpassed by DOS Batch 11, and that's about all I know)

But yeah... I'm not in a drawing/character-designing mood.

._____.

stewartsage

For my super productive 1500th post I bring to you a lost CDC and a pair of Norwegians that includes my first editor-kun.  Not quite in the bishie mold of Bella's though....

CDC VSOS/EOS-tan
-Half-sister of NOS/VE, actual parentage unsure but raised by NOS
-Self-assured and independent, takes SCOPE-sama's ravings to heart (actually built by the CDC spin-off company ETA Systems)
-Despite being disliked by the the customers, and considered a failure by the company and customers
-Probably delusional
-One of the most understanding CDC's, acts as intermediary often within the companies and as CDC's ambassador
--The administrative competence of KRONOS, the old fashioned sense of SCOPE, urge to do science from LTSS, and an undercurrent of insanity/bitchiness from NOS
-Does so with cookies
-The only CDC capable of using open sorcery
-A friend of VM/CMS-tan, gets along well with NOS/VE
-Considered odd and old fashioned, reinvented herself after the name change but still hangs on to her fashion sense
-Has an obsession with UNIX-sama, believes they're "married", despite her being the cause of all her problems
-Now withdrawn from CDC life, taught high school for a while, and now entirely retired

Appearance: Discovered the female version of KRONOS's conservative business suits, coupled with nice hats, taller then NOS/VE but better developed, keeps her hair short, wears several pins on her lapel, a wedding ring, locket with UNIX's picture

SINTRAN-tan (covers I-III/VS)
-Norwegian
-Empress of the Norsk Data Empire
-Extremely polite, but cocky; looked down on PC operating systems
-Was overthrown in the early 90's
--Taken down several pegs by the revolution, now sullen and withdrawn.  Works part time as an accountant while in hiding
-Enjoys the gardening and growing produce as well as tutoring in her spare time.
-Speaks almost exclusively in acronyms or shortened words
-Proud of her contributions to science, especially CERN
-Operating system of the NORD-5, the world's first 32-bit minicomputer (beat VAX by 6 years)
-Had an open challenge to VMS that was never accepted

Appearance: Average height, Prime: Brown hair, blue eyes, royal garments, stylish dresses, or gardening wear depending on the occasion; Currently: Gray hair, missing one leg, far less showy, mostly heavy jackets, plain shirts, and pants or skirts

PED (Programmers' EDitor)-kun
-Text editor and bodyguard for SINTRAN
-Known for his power rather then being pretty
-Defected to the PC's during the Revolution

Appearance: short, heavy set and muscular, typically wears a suit coat over an Army uniform

Still to do:
Heathkit H11
HDOS
LINC
ACE
ORVYL & WYLBUR
NLTSS

Bella

@VSOS/EOS-tan: genderswapped KRONOS was the first thing that came to mind. x3

In love with Unix-sama despite thinking she's the root of all her problems, OMG, MAH SISTAH. Although she's gonna have to fight Slackware-tan and Vi-kun and Linux-tan to get near Ma Bell Labs... :V

@SINTRAN and PED: Computers from Norway?! Hmm, really liking SINTRAN-tan's design. Interesting that she has a rivalry with VMS-tan and worked for CERN, since VMS-tan was once employed by CERN too.

What happened to her leg? O.o;;

Fufufu, finally we meet a manly-man editor-kun! Well, Vi's a bit of a twink and Emacs is a prettyboy and CANDE and QED are downright fops, but I'd like to think Red-kun and CEO-kun are pretty masculine... well maybe not so much CEO....

(I happened to think, one of the reasons I'm probably so in love with the OS-tan fandom is because it's a mainly female-character-driven universe, with most of the male characters being there solely to assist/be arm-candy for the OS-tans. </randomthoughts>)

LINC, I wondered if a LINC-tan had been done yet! It's from Walt-Tham Mass, which makes it Relevant to My Interests. I came up with concepts for ORVYL and WYLBUR-tan yeaaaaars ago, but I forget most of the details, so it's fair game now. (I do remember envisioning them as an OS-tan/Editor-kun coupling, and aviators at that).

Bella

So, I've sort of discovered a bunch of old DEC operating systems...

DECsys (1965, making it one of the oldest DEC OSes; ran on the PDP-7 and 4 [supposedly])
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/docs/decsys.pdf

Right-of-the-bat, I have a few characters ideas:
-An esoteric personality (DECsys was used for software development rather than general use)
-Introverted, can't handle large groups (single-user)
-A hoarder (DECsys had no file delete functions)

Advanced Monitor System, DOS-15 and VVM-DOS:
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/docs/advmonsys.pdf
No -tan ideas for these three, aside from them all having revived in emulated form... :\

Chocofreak13

DOS-15:
-Similar in appearance to DEC w/ MSDOS traits (i'm thinking an older, jaded MS)
-Stubborn (due to blatant refusal to boot and run certian programs off of original code on emulators), also seems to dislike emulators
-Anti-Social (hard to find and seems to like it that way), reculsive
-Alive, in hiding

also, i like what you guys have come up wity for characters; however due to homework/school, and lack of laptop, i doubt i'll be able to contribute much untill speedy is fixed. after that, with the size upgrade i just bought, i should be able to whip up a few things. ^^
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

LADIES. AND. GENTRYMEN.

I BRING YOU. A PREVIEW.
http://nejinoniwa.deviantart.com/art/WITCH-tan-version-0-8A-184789651

WITCH-tan:
-designed as above
-all other information classified for now

It is a preview because no further information will be given, until we reach the appropriate point in MR@Story. Lulz.

stewartsage

Look, another really old computer.

MONIAC (Monetary National Income Analogue Computer)-tan AKA Phillips Hydraulic Computer AKA Phillips Machine AKA Financephalograp
-New Zealand volunteer in the RAF during WWII, now demobbed (prototype built with parts from a Lancaster bomber)
-Was badly injured, leading to her reconstruction into MONIAC; not all of her could be saved and thus has some transparent patches of skin.  Notably her arms to above the elbow.
--Part machine
-Currently an economics professor (used to model the UK & NZ national economies)
-Passionate about economic theory, as it's the sole reason she exists
-Doesn't like being reminded of her relic status
-Enjoys a good Terry Pratchett book, no matter what he may get wrong
-Still highly respected for her accuracy and availability in the post war period
-Can easily become dehydrated (used water as part of the model)
-Prone to expounding upon the importance of preserving the purity of ones bodily fluids... no ones sure if it's a metaphor or not...
-Believes herself a sister of ENIAC; definitely is not
-Distrustful of her military/government brethren (one of the first civilian computers)
-Friend, some time associate of Digi-Comp-tan and corespondent/tutor to GENIAC-chan (all three extremely capable mechanical computers)
-Status: Very much alive; Cambridge, University of Leeds, University of Istanbul, University of Melbourne, and the Reserve Bank of New Zealand all posses functioning or potentially functioning machines.

Appearance: One of the smaller earlier computers height wise, expressive eyes (light yellow), blue-grey hair (machine color) long, possible prehensile, typically wears a suit coat with whatever other garments she may be wearing, most parts of her lower arm see-through, covered with long black opera gloves

Bella

I shall comment on MONICA, I mean, MONIAC at a later date; but I'd like to take the opportunity to mention that, whilst researching CSAIL for some OS-tan writage fact-checking, I discovered a most interesting tidbit of info.

MIT MADE THE WORLDS FIRST OPERATING SYSTEM, THE DIRECTOR TAPE PROGRAM! FSCK YES! SUCK THAT GMOS!!!!!

http://www.csail.mit.edu/timeline/timeline.php?query=event&id=3

Sounds like it ran on Whirlwind... or something... @.@

This raises the question of where Director Tape Program fits into the OS-tan scheme of things. It ran on Whirlwind (I think) which makes me inclined to just wrap it up with HER character design (making her the - FCK YEAH - world's first hardware to have an OS), but I'll leave it to clearer minds to figure this out. = =

Or, if you want to go an adventurous route, you could make DTP her assistant. Flipping the entire OS-to-hardware-tan power structure on its head for once. :3

NejinOniwa

CSAIL?

Now THAT's a damn plot portal for sure.

Bella

Plot portals aside, anything to say about DTP and its possible -tan/-kun? You did help me clarify a lot of stuff surrounding PDP 1 and THOR... including deciding to split 'em into different -tans...

Chocofreak13

well for starters s/he should have ribbon-like hair....or lots of bows.....or both.....

i'm getting a mental image, but that could be because i made a gaia avatar of ME-tan earlier and the hair i used was FANTABULOUS~~~~*sparkle sparkle*

make her whirlwind's assistant, but semi-resentful about it. this would lead to the later subjugation of the once-great hardware-tans by the modern OS-tans (maybe with a subplot of 95 using hardware-tans as slave labour during the OS wars).

ugh, i haven't drawn anything in awhile that wasn't for class......makes me sad to think about it >____<;
click to make it bigger

Bella

@Stew: I'm really liking MONIAC-tan's design. I am a bit curious about her construction, though... is she part machine? (The Lancaster bomber, wasn't that the plane that only had an ejection seat for the pilot? Or am I getting my random plane trivia mixed up?)

@Kari: I drew a Director Tape Program-tan, incorporating some of your ideas (more on that below)...

DTP-tan, left; Fortran Monitor Program-tan, right top

I gave DTP-tan lots of ribbons, both as a reference to the "tape" nature of the program and her mistress. Her arm-wrap-thingies, sarashi and dress furthers the tape/ribbon theme, but the later also has a touch of scrappiness, since she's still a servant and not very wealthy. As Whirlwind-hime's assistant, DTP mostly organises and sorts information for her; as such, Whirlwind lacks the dependence that marks later hardware and program/operating system-tan relationships (Whirlwind was perfectly capable of working sans DTP[?]). DTP's and Whirlwind's relationship is a little more ambivalent than Kari proposed.

A note on DTP's species; she's an ancestral OS, having little resemblance to modern OSes and a lot of overlap with a just plain program-tan.

As for Fortran Monitor Program-tan... not a lot to say...
-She's IBSYS's (and therefore BESYS's and UMES-tan's?) mother/predecessor
-Puts the Compatible in Compatible Timesharing System (CTSS ran a vritualized copy of FMP for batch processing purposes -- CTSS and FMP-tan would have been acquaintances and possibly friends)
-Easy to get along with (FORTRAN was a rather accessible language)  
-But rather limited in ability (simple tape-based OS used to compile FORTRAN programs)

White hair, light eyes, mid-30s in physical age, dresses in plain Victorianesque clothing.