Bella's Ren'Py Thread

Started by Bella, November 06, 2009, 01:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Others talk, I do.

This is a really, like, seriously SHODDY AND QUICK VN I slapped together in <30 minutes. It stars NetBSD-tan and FreeBSD-tan, and has a play time of maybe, oh, five minutes. Stock music, no menus, just a really simple test run.

EDIT: Here are the different builds of the VN.

For Linux: http://www.pigux.com/bella/myquestion-linux-x86.tar.bz2
Mac OSX: http://www.pigux.com/bella/myquestion-mac.zip
Windows: http://www.pigux.com/bella/myquestion-win32.zip

A link to the Ren'Py Visual Novel engine site: http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Home_Page

Backgrounds by me
Graphics by C-quel and me
And it's rated G in case your wondering.

NejinOniwa

FACT: Fried eggs are tastier than raw eggs by 2 to the power of 41 times.

This seems like something worthy of surveying, eh? IMPATIENCE. >:3
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Aurora Borealis

DO WANT TO SEE THIS! :D

After checking out the official Ren'Py site, I was surprised to see how easy Ren'Py game programming looks! I'd like to give it a test run at some point too.

Bella

Okay, the files are now posted, I hope~

And my gawd is programming in Ren'Py easy-- heck, its language makes HTML look like C++ (it's even more basic than, well, BASIC).

IanDanKilmaster

Oh wow, I must see this!

Ren'Py just uses a basic version of Python, which in and of itself is considered a pretty simple programming language.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Aurora Borealis

That's a good first try. :) I want to know what happens next! I must know the user's fate, and the fate of the whole picnic! I MUST KNOOOOOOW!

I'd also like to make some sort of test run with Ren'Py, but I don't have any ideas to get started. Can you help me? ^^;

Bella

We shall have a brainstorming session!

... but tomorrow. I gotsta get my sleep, y'know?

Aurora Borealis

Okay. I'll be looking forward to the brainstorming!

NejinOniwa

I'll see if I can be on as well on time. -w-

Anyway, play'd through. I found some writery inconsistency, so I edited the script.rpy some as I went; also changed to second-person narration and some. I also found the need of a net_scared.png, which my GIMP skills are incapable of producing, so DO SUPPLY. >:3

Anyway, the edited script.rpy is here; i unleashed my commentry inside, on a few places I thought changes were needed. Unzip and place it in the "game" folder to use.

MAUU

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bella

QuoteAnyway, play'd through. I found some writery inconsistency, so I edited the script.rpy some as I went; also changed to second-person narration and some. I also found the need of a net_scared.png, which my GIMP skills are incapable of producing, so DO SUPPLY. >:3

Anyway, the edited script.rpy is here; i unleashed my commentry inside, on a few places I thought changes were needed. Unzip and place it in the "game" folder to use.

Thanks, I'll check it out...

QuoteOkay. I'll be looking forward to the brainstorming!

Well, I've been a bit short on VN-making inspiration as well, so hopefully we'll be able to help each other out.

I recommend that, at least for a test run, you find some old artwork that you like and feel comfortable reusing and use that for your first V. Just something with a few characters, and reuse some old background images or photos that you like for the BGs. Since it's a test, try to focus more on programming and story-line writing than the art portion.

As for the story itself, why not think up a scenario with a couple of characters you like? It needn't be a grand story-- just think up a situation. And you can have a random user or yourself be the "narrator" rather than another OS-tan.  

-Think up a situation where you or random user meet one of the OS-tans
-What might happen if character A met character B?
-Take a short comic idea you had and "translate" it into VN format

Now for the programming portion... I recommend following the instructions laid out here, only using your own dialogue and images. And be sure to check out the rest of the tutorials...

Just keep checking your coding as you go along (Ren'Py is pretty good about pointing out errors).

Aurora Borealis

Hmm...I could try making a short VN out of the first zerOSanity page.

I also had in mind a VN of that Mac Party special involving Leopard-tan that I first attempted as a comic a year ago, but that would be way too ambitious, at least for now.

NejinOniwa

I am unable to think in non-grandiose story terms, so it'll have to wait a while...

stewartsage

There must be a conclusion, I don't know if I can take the suspense!

NejinOniwa

Hey! Be careful, asking like that is just begging for a BAD END... O_O

stewartsage

True

freeBSD-tan has eaten the world.

You have lost.