I've gone Linux - Le Gasp!

Started by coldReactive, September 02, 2009, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

i think 32 bit will be best, but what arrives in the mail arrives in the mail.

oh yea, apparently i get to make a new -tan......OF MYSELF! see, my friend took ubuntu, and tweaked it heavily (removes a fukton, added some stuff) and dubbed it KariOS.

personally i think ChocOS has a better ring to it.... ^^
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "Alex_Reetz"My opinion,  linux feels cheap(The gui and icons.) and more geared for people who want complete control of everything on there os....but it seems to complected. The whole 'Support' thing is wishy-washy and being a gamer, It just causes more problems then good. linux is good for the anti-establishment, server, geek and poor users, but as far as gaming and 'basic' support, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I plan on using ubuntu, but I see myself being a windows users until internet 2 comes out and causes a big brother effect on the interweb.

Who on earth chooses an OS based of looks, though? I'd rather have a stable, well-built OS that has a "crappy" GUI-- or no GUI at all-- over an astonishingly pretty piece of garbage any day.

FYI, because Linux is open source, you can make it look like anything you want-- if you prefer Aqua, like I do...
http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=219520
...or VIsta's interface...

There are more than enough themes, icon packages and desktop environments to choose from to make it look however you want.

Linux systems have given me a lot less grief than Windows systems over the years. Ubuntu and Puppy Linux both picked up on wireless networks in just a few clicks (maybe a few more for the former), I've never witnessed a kernel panic/crash under it (I've had one with OSX so far) and never had any hardware compatibility issues. Not even with peripherals like scanners and printers. Software's never been an issue, probably because I used FOSS software almost exclusively whether I'm using WIdnows, OSX or Linux. I do agree that Windows is the only OS for a gamer-- but that's the game development community's fault. >.>

The strength of Linux, if you ask me, is the ability to run on sparse hardware and portability (like its Unix ancestors). Yes, the developers aren't quite as good at adapting/marketing Linux to a home userbase as they could be, but Canonical seems to be trying their best.

PS, I'm a rather poor, anti-establishment geek (anti-establishment = anti-Microsoft). I'm not particularly attached to Linux (probably more of an OSX and OpenVMS proponent at the moment) but I gotta give credit where credit is due. [/img]

Chocofreak13

every user has a preference. i'm more a fan of linux and windows than mac, personally (iz kind of confusing, and hard to get a *coughfreecough* copy of).

this is the sort of thing we'd have to gather everyone together and have a formal debate over or something.
my vote, everyone pick what they like best. it's like religion; everyone has their preference, and no one should force their beliefs on another.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Yep, it's like religion, everything sucks and it should all just BURN IN THUNDERRRRRRRRR and wait patiently until *SPOILER'D*
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

now i'm just waiting for you to create THORLINUX xD

ya think thor will LIGHTNINGWTF all'uf us in 2012? .___.
click to make it bigger

Alex_Reetz

I been a window's nazi since i was 7(1997) mostly because my dad worked at Microsoft, but I did unknowingly used reactOS (linux.) for 4 years without knowing. the only real linux I liked was lindows, because it was fun to tinker with, sadly, Windows will always be my favorite, but I will drop it in a heartbeat as soon as the big brother effect takes over the interweb and software.(A good example is china, look it up.) MAC OSX is a great OS, but it seems a little overpriced, over hyped and  more of a status symbol then anything. I plan on making a osx86, but I WILL NEVER BUY A MAC. Tried to, but even used items are expensive as hell. a macbook only 6 years old cost 700.00 USD!

I wish I could make my own OS that supported windows files with a linux freedom. but no, if they ever do M$ will sue them and track down anyone who pirated it or bought it.

Bella

ReactOS isn't Linux, it's not even close... it's its own OS, built from scratch.

Apple is overhyped as hell, but they make a good product, so... I used to think of Macs as status symbols too, but knowing a number of very average, normal, blue-collar people who use Macs has changed my stance.

NejinOniwa

Chocofreak13

i was about to say that :3

hmm, if it goes well, i will post copies of ChocOS once i get it. ^^

i'm not too much of a mac fan personally (have i said that already?). they seem too expensive, i haven't used them much at all (maybe once or twice?),  and people tend to favor them as "THE" art computer, but i do just fine on windows. :\
click to make it bigger

Sora

Virtual Machines will only get you so far...
I say if you want to run Windows programmes, get Windows! Not Parallels or Wine...
E 123 \'Omega\': Eggman detected. Begin annihilation sequence.
Miles \'Tails\' Prowler: No, Omega, Eggman is our friend!
E 123 \'Omega\': Small forest creature has gone mad. Suggest immediate termination.

NejinOniwa

Aside from gaming purposes, I really don't see the deal with the Windows fanmonglery.

Chocofreak13

iz true.....though most programs run on windows so if you'd like to keep running fancy things like that you may need an emulator such as wine .____.
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

It's really a user-by-user thing... you can generalize, but it helps to know specific things.

The most important thing - how much time are you willing to spend learning?  'Cos you're going to have to before you're able to reliably... enjoyably use a GNU/Linux OS.
The other things obviously have to deal with your purpose - if you play a lot of games, you'll want to stick with Windows; if you have a handful of games that you play but aren't always on the cutting edge, you might be interested in a GNU/Linux OS (both generalizations can be pretty much applied to other programs as well)

I personally don't have a lot of experience with Mac or its OSes (I did use some old iMacs back in HS... didn't care for it), but I've maintained an interest in it.  From what I understand, a large portion of the animated programs on television are made using Macs (watch a show like the Boondocks and see just how much Mac-related humor is in there), and a great deal of the artistic folks I knew in college also used Macs.  I won't say, "If you want to be an artist, use a Mac" because I think it's good to go against the flow every now and then.  I see plenty of artists online that use Windows or Linux, so I think there's always room for diversity.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

i like that. the only experience i've had with macs are:
they were the art computers in middle school
my sister's ex (still somewhat a friend of mine...i guess) works at apple
my brother has a mac

and that's it. i prefer windows, cause it's what i grew up with, and am most used to.
also, being a nerd, i am open to linux....

macs are considered "the" art computer, but i don't like that. gimp and cg illuist worked on windows just fine. :\

oh and before i forget CONGRADULATIONS NEJIN ON 10,000 POSTS~~~
also,
click to make it bigger

Bella

Totally agree with IDK here... the usefulness of an OS all depends on the purpose the user has in mind.

And Nejin too, outside of gaming, almost any modern OS can do what Windows can as well.

AND Choco, Macs are rather overrated as art computers. I'm an artist and a Mac-user and I don't even know WHY that is. Although, Mac does come with a pretty wicked native suite of amateur music/audio/photo/video editing software... but on the graphics end of things, you're pretty much left to fend for yourself (I use GIMP, because I like it more than PS).

I like how organized everything feels in Mac... everything looks the same, it's predictable, it's intuitive. Of course, that's probably a bad thing for a lot of people. Technologically-speaking, I probably wouldn't be so keen on it were it not a Unix-- I don't even LIKE Unix, but it's the best we have right now and  probably will be for a long time to come.