REQUEST: Atari-Tan / ST-Tan

Started by MagikGimp, March 18, 2009, 04:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagikGimp

It's only fair and I can't draw!

I don't think the ST line of computers was that popular in the US or Japan but it's worth a shot so if anyone's interested here are some pictures for inspiration:

First off is the beautiful machine in all its glory complete with Atari mouse, hard-disc and monitor.

The Falcon came after but they kept the case. This is a close-up of one end; check out those smooth lines!

This is the Atari version of GEM, the GUI for the computer. The gaudy green colour is synonymous with the machine so I would have though it would feature somewhere in Atari-Tan's wardrobe.

This is the ST's equivalent of the hour-glass. Buzz...

Finally, the old Atari Fuji mountain logo before its rebirth

The ST, back in the day, was best known for its music capabilities (Fat Boy Slim famously used one) but people gamed on them too although the Amiga was largely superior (I'll be shot for saying this) in that department. Similarities to the Amiga are its bad reliability and keyboard stuck onto the rest of the machine design. I could go on but the Wikipedia article is a good place to start to learn more if you're interested.

Cheers!
PS: I'm not sure Atari-Tan is a good name as Atari have a huge range of machines, not to mention their arcade side. I'm an ST fan but feel free to make a 5200-Tan or whatever too. There's no Commodore-Tan after all so perhaps ST-Tan is a better name.

NejinOniwa

I think you need some checking up the galleries alley, bro.

THERE'S BEEN PROGRESS IN THIS DEPARTMENT YOU KNOW >:3
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

MagikGimp

Whoa, where?! I made a thorough look just to be sure, search query and everything! I'll go see again but I'd appreciate some links, ta.

IanDanKilmaster

Can we has for gallery?  I just checked and I don't see an Atari-tan in there o__O...

Also MagikGimp, feel free to stop by the Member Intro thread, we could use some activity in there that doesn't involve absurdity on behalf of our more senior members (myself included).  Also, it's good to tell us a little about yourself (I stress, a little, it's not like we want to know your name or a list of your greatest fears).

The Choice of a New Generation.

MagikGimp

Quote from: "IanDanKilmaster"Also MagikGimp, feel free to stop by the Member Intro thread, we could use some activity in there that doesn't involve absurdity on behalf of our more senior members (myself included).  Also, it's good to tell us a little about yourself (I stress, a little, it's not like we want to know your name or a list of your greatest fears).
Done.

AtariTOS-Tan (terrible name!) is pretty sweet although the artist seems to be a little confused as to what TOS is (it's the OS not specifically the GUI so not a direct variant of GEM; rather Atari *cough* stole GEM from what eventually became Apple to use on their machines). The colours are fab and the inclusion of the logo is great and I like the idea of the smoke and mirrors but I'm not sure that it works all that well. I mean I had to read the description as I was a little confused. Not sure what the diamond on her forehead is all about either. The rest of the description made me chuckle; she is a bit of a loner and a poser although really at heart she's a cheap girl who will welcome anyone as long as they never leave her side for another Tan (there was a lot of piracy on the ST which attracted people who didn't want to spend much more money on top of the cost of their cheap computer).

I think if I had to change anything about that design it'd be the diamond for bee hair-clips, shoulder pads on the blazer (80s) and remove that stitching, get rid of the mirror although the microphone works well and just make her more slutty as she is all image and little substance at the end of the day  ;012 .

Aurora Borealis

I'm the artist of that pic, btw. I'm glad that you mostly like it. I'll get to revising it but I'm keeping in the mirror because she cares about her looks a lot.

Maybe I did get confused a bit but Atari TOS is based off of Digital Research's GEM OS, which was released about a year after Apple's Mac OS. And now that you mention it, Atari ST-tan DOES sound better than Atari TOS-tan! With the vintage home computer-tans which represent both their hardware and OS (or version of BASIC), it is strange and inconsistent that I refer to Atari ST-tan and Atari 8-bit-tan by their names of their OSes! ^^;

Chocofreak13

yeep. nice to have you here, gimpi! =D
at any rate, hast thou introduced thyself yet?
and guys, would this be for the os fan art forum? :\

yesh, it is a rather awkward name. and all -tans are subject to a little design alterations (ME with long or short skirt/sleeves, sleeve shape, shoe style, not to mention the hair by her face, ect. same for 2k, seen many slight design variations. find someone with nothing better to do. i'd do it, but right now i'm failing a class, and idk if other forum members would harpoon me for it (except aurora, aurora-san's sou nice to me. not flamy at all. <3 )

YEEP!!  i agree with some of the design alterations you suggested.  but idk bout the shoulder pads, so tacky. but then, maybe it fits? xD
click to make it bigger

MagikGimp

I love that this thread is getting so much attention; have YOU played Atari today?! ;D

OK Aurora or Kattlanna or whatever you prefer to be known as, let's collab!
What can we do with the mirror, I think she needs at least one free hand don't you? How about a little purse or make-up bag she could have on her arm or throw over her shoulder?
Talking about shoulders, 80s power suits are dead sexy:

Lastly, about her name; it's a tricky one as first there was the ST, then the STF, STM & finally STFM not to mention the STE ;015 (!) but I think sticking with just ST is best, it is understood to be the general name. Also Amiga-Tan isn't called Commodore Amiga-Tan so perhaps ditch the Atari too? Would people know what computer she is then?

Man I wish I could draw, my creative juices are starting to boil.

Chocofreak13

ST might get confused with SE, out beloved little castrater. :]

y'know, you can draw, you're just not trying. all it takes is practice. (you should see my early work, it scares me now. o__o; )
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Quoteyesh, it is a rather awkward name. and all -tans are subject to a little design alterations (ME with long or short skirt/sleeves, sleeve shape, shoe style, not to mention the hair by her face, ect. same for 2k, seen many slight design variations. find someone with nothing better to do. i'd do it, but right now i'm failing a class, and idk if other forum members would harpoon me for it (except aurora, aurora-san's sou nice to me. not flamy at all. <3 )

She's a mod she's obligated to be nice to you :P.  I keed, but try to take it easy.

Anyway, in regards to -tan designs.  I give Aurora loads of credit for choosing to do such obscure -tans, not only does it require effort strictly as an artist, but also a lot of research if you're not already familiar enough with your subject.  Then she has to find a creative way to implement those things in her designs.  I'm not trying to be a defensive fanboy or anything ><; - I'm just curious as to how much input from forum members is she already getting on her designs.  Please help in whatever way you can, MagikGimp!

The Choice of a New Generation.

Aurora Borealis

I didn't know that there were so many releases of the Atari ST series! She should just be called Atari ST-tan or ST-tan since the original ST was first in the series and to keep this simple!

I'm modifying ST-tan's design right now and adding in your new suggestions, MagikGimp! Thanks for the suggestions as you're helping improve her design by adding in more ST references and some 80's fashion! :D

I don't get a lot of input or suggestions from other members so I think it's great that an expert on the subject can help me out!

Cockleshell

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"ST might get confused with SE, out beloved little castrater. :]
I've started to like SE more and more these days o__O
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Aurora Borealis

Here's a revised ST-tan:

[attachment deleted by admin]

MagikGimp

I hate vandalising other people's work but as I can't draw it's the best I could do to try and get my ideas across for ST-Tan (see attachment) =/

1) Bee hair-clips instead of diamond (what was that for anyway?), not sure if it's in the right place and she should have two of course. They should also be more 3D like XP-Tan's XPs.
2) Purse instead of mirror. It could have a mirror and make-up showing poking out of the top. I think the bomb design (I totally forgot that icon!) would look better on it instead of the belt of bombs I've given her. I've had second thoughts about that but it leads to my next edit:
3) Flip the hem upside-down, not sure what made me do that but I think it was to make more of the Atari logo which I think needs to be larger and slightly more curvy.
4) Shoulder pads in stitching instead of on the cuffs.
5) Boooooobs =D
6) I also thought of maybe writing GEM or TOS down her socks as some of the other Tans have on their clothing.

Again sorry for ruining your fab pic; I would have started on my own piece but it would have looked even worse. Let me know what you think of my ideas.

LAST MINUTE EDIT!: I've just seen your revised ST-Tan and wow, it's like you read my mind!! I don't want to have you spend too much more time on this and I've got to get to bed anyway so I'm going to call it a day for now but doesn't she look great  ;019  (I mean yours, not mine)?!

[attachment deleted by admin]