Computer tech blog

Started by Dr. Mario, March 11, 2009, 04:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey

Well, if AMD says that that block can keep a Phenom cool, it can keep everything up to and including a Phenom cool...
BTW, i actually bought that block because the shop i went to didn't have the Liquid Cooling systems i wanted... ^_^
But there's a webshop that still sells the Thermaltake Volcano... --->

It's a heatpiped LCS block that can accomodate an extra fan so it will serve as an extra radiator, too... Couple that to a Bigwater 745 kit and you're set to cool even the most demanding CPU's, or a cpu + crossfire setup... ^_^

I also have two 5,25" bays left (there are 6 occupied by fans -2x120mm-, one by the power/reset/audio/USB bracket and one by the DVD drive) so i can also install an extra BigWater 76IS kit, wich saves me the hassle of placing a loose pump+resevoir and gives me another 120mm radiator... giving me some room to overclock... ^_^
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

Looks like it could cool a six-core or octo-core Phenom II processor. I'm only to be using Athlon 64 X2 system for a short time, then use it in a TiVo box as I'm browsing through new RISC x86 CPU that could satisify me, also the one that could support PC XDR-DRAM modules, and have a pretty good headroom for overclocking too. I may be playing a rather realistic video game, so I probably should grab 16GB XDIMM memory module if I'm to build another PC in the near future.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

Well, the wishlist for my next PC should make for a good gaming system, and will drain my wallet for the next couple of months... ^_^ Here goes:

*Motherboard:Asus M4A79T Deluxe (ASUS, for obvious reasons, and the deluxe model also for obvious reasons )
*CPU :AMD Phenom II X4 810 (should be fun, to go from 2x2500Mhz to 4x2600MHz ^_^)
*RAM:2 Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kits (i know, "just" 8GB RAM, but it should be fine, I'm running on 4GB now, so...)
*Videocards: 4 Asus EAH4830/HTDP cards (that is to say, if the store isn't lying and they do support crossfireX)
*cooling: a Thermaltake Volcano with a Thermaltake Kit BigWater 745 and a Thermaltake BigWater 760i (for nice coolness, lots of extra fans - i love my fanbase ^_^- and overclocking purposes...)
*PSU:Tacens Supero 1000 (because i think my 450Watt won't cut it with all that new hardware, heck i will need 4 PCI-Ex16 power connectors wich the Tacens has and my current one has never even heard of... ^_^)

Totaling â,¬1325,- ex shipping and handling...

So yeah, cost alot, get alot... ;010
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Yeah, it definitely looks like you would be like a kid on Christmas Day, screaming surprisingly when you see a ton of new presents - at least you will have a nice system to fool around on.

Smokey

Yep, and one heck of a nice "old" PC, to experiment with Linuses, Unixes, heck maybe i'll turn it into a nice domain server, i guess the WiFi-AP solo software is supported by 2000server, wich would mean we can finally go wireless here in the house (I have 3 routers, wich don't work with the modem/router we have. and i don't want to buy a different modem/router because i believe my sis has lost the account info)...
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

Yo, smokey! On the WiFi-AP Solo thing - how taxing on the system is it to act as the network router, anyway? I mean, is it noticeable at all?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Dr. Mario

Not too taxing, still depends on how much devices (such as Playstation Portables, PDA with Internet capability and many others) - it can be too taxing on the modem, so if you want it to flow smoothly, use DSL or cable. And You can choose the setting, either be totally visible, "Free all-you-can-eat buffet", visible but encrypted, or totally hidden and encrypted.

Smokey

I don't think Nej has to worry about bandwith, he has Broadband, Sweden Style... ^_^

And no it's not too taxing, a proper AMD dual-core CPU can handle network, DNS and DCHP easily... And of course have performance to spare for other stuff...
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

Well, I mean like this:
DELTA (quad 2.5 intel) acts as a router for 3 devices. These share a network bandwidth of 300 megabits. Is the operator of DELTA able to fully enjoy a game of say, Supreme Commander at full settings and unit caps (GASP), even if the other 3 devices are sucking all they can at data and DL'ing over torrents and shit?

Smokey

I can be very short at this anwser...;

I don't have any experience with the WiFi-AP solo functionality on Intel boards, nor do i have any experience with Intel after the first generation PIV, but it would be safe to say that if you were to tax the WWiFi-AP on your mainboard as heavily as 300Mbit, wich i can hardly believe, since bandwith of WiFi networks has only very recently reached multiples of 100Mbit, i would guess that all that bandwith, combined with DHCP and DNS, at least if you were to run that on Î", would be enough work for both the WiFi network controller and the CPU (srsly, i don't know Intel, so i don't know if the CPU has to help the network controller, but it probably has since the WiFi-AP solo involves some software to be run in the operating system), to make your system notice that there are a couple of other devices on the network. This happens naturally, since the DHCP and DNS server will know what devices are present in any given network...
As for that impacting performance, i higly doubt that your games of Supreme Commander wil be affected that badly or, wich will be more likely, will not be affected at all...

So in conclusion, as long as you're not dl-ing with uTorrent and playing SupComm online, there's nothing to worry about...
(srsly, uTorrent is a huge bandwith hog)
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

I think it's not gonna hurt your computer, as long as you have RAM memory big enough. And, you already have multi-core CPU, you will be fine. (But if you're to DL'ing off uTorrent and play game on a single-core CPU, you're f***ed. But it won't happen, anyways.)

And, a bit off-topic, I have a picture of my own modified retail heatsink setup:

[attachment deleted by admin]

NejinOniwa

Well, I certainly hope so. ^^ That aside, SupCom IS ABLE TO USE ALL CORES ON THE PROCESSOR THOUGH so yeah, that resource hog might just take all that shit down by itself. Yum. -w-

Smokey

Yes, i know...SupCom is actually programmed quite well, it even has multi-videocard support for a second monitor on wich you can display the tactical map...

And Back to the fan... Nice way to incorporate that fan on that block...;010
I only have two things (not bad, don't worry ^_^);
1: Is that an MSI board?
2: That XDR is the strangest memory i have ever seen... ^_^ (and i've seen Topless SIMMs)

Added after 5 minutes:

BTW, by reading some wikipedia (finally looking up XDR and then reading down to the other RAMs) i found this...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Yeah, it kept Athlon 64 nice and cold. And it's Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP motherboard, and if you look below, you will spot Avermedia TV tuner card. And, sadly, XDR memory is in other of my computer (I will also take picture of its innard) - am staying with family for a while, when I go back and see my wife, I may be able to do so. (She still have majority of my shits at her house...)

Smokey

Hmmm, sounds personal...

Anyways... meanwhile i can probably take a couple of pics of my current system and post them... (if i'm lucky i'm getting some money back from the tax agency, so i can get me that nice watercooling set i wanted... ^_^, will post pics of that too when i have it)
Thanks Fedora-sama